Jbkimmel

First Name
Judson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
I seem to recall there was also an episode in which they drove around in a parking lot to see if the range indicator in Jerry’s Saab was accurate but I can’t seem to find it.

Does anyone else remember that? I feel like they actually showed the amber LED display reading, but then, it was a long time ago…
Sponsored

s7davis

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Alfa Romeo
Country flag
If you want to do a range test try watching Out of Spec Motoring I think is the correct one of his youtube channels. He does all EVS the same way no matter their range. It is a 70MPH range test. He preconditions the car so batteries are warm and starts at a charger for the start point. Then had everything set to a certain setting then set cruise control to 70MPH while with a phone maps app checks the speed limit to ensure it is 70 or will adjust cruise to it does read 70 on the maps app on phone. The he just cruises about 140 miles or whatever to about %50 - %60 then turns around goes the exact route back to charger so if their is any wind it get washed out by the loop as it is only 1 loop instead of several different loops. Then as he goes toward the charging station he started at if he notices he will have excess charge left he just drives around until the vehicle is barely crawling to the charger and jots the range down. But honestly by the time you get close to the charger you should only be at about 5% or less typically.

OP
OP

Crazypostman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
If you want to do a range test try watching Out of Spec Motoring I think is the correct one of his youtube channels. He does all EVS the same way no matter their range. It is a 70MPH range test. He preconditions the car so batteries are warm and starts at a charger for the start point. Then had everything set to a certain setting then set cruise control to 70MPH while with a phone maps app checks the speed limit to ensure it is 70 or will adjust cruise to it does read 70 on the maps app on phone. The he just cruises about 140 miles or whatever to about %50 - %60 then turns around goes the exact route back to charger so if their is any wind it get washed out by the loop as it is only 1 loop instead of several different loops. Then as he goes toward the charging station he started at if he notices he will have excess charge left he just drives around until the vehicle is barely crawling to the charger and jots the range down. But honestly by the time you get close to the charger you should only be at about 5% or less typically.
Every range test I've done over the years is the exact same. although I am going to do a 55 mph run this weekend just to compare and contrast with 70 mph. I may start doing 55mph runs also with all the EVs I test it'll be an interesting data point

DrAchoo

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Rapid Red RWD, St. Batt Mach E
Country flag
Just to give an example of what's possible, I just returned from Seattle to Eugene, Oregon on Sunday and had a stretch of 181 miles on Google Maps where I took the battery from 100% down to 22%. The trip said I averaged 3.5 mi/kw. I have the same setup as the OP: standard battery, RWD.

Ambient temp was about 60 degrees.
I drove mainly between 70-75.
I did not have climate control on.
I used BlueCruise for most of the drive.

OP
OP

Crazypostman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Just to give an example of what's possible, I just returned from Seattle to Eugene, Oregon on Sunday and had a stretch of 181 miles on Google Maps where I took the battery from 100% down to 22%. The trip said I averaged 3.5 mi/kw. I have the same setup as the OP: standard battery, RWD.

Ambient temp was about 60 degrees.
I drove mainly between 70-75.
I did not have climate control on.
I used BlueCruise for most of the drive.
I've pretty much got most of my concerns pinned down to low efficiency I'm just trying to figure out why. Wind makes a big difference but I didn't have much wind the day I tested the efficiency. Tires are aired up HVAC was off. ? That 22% downhill really hooked you up with great range!

Djynn81

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E premium
Occupation
Medical
Country flag

Its always different as stated based on driving habits go by % more milage till empty.

OP
OP

Crazypostman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag

Its always different as stated based on driving habits go by % more milage till empty.
Yeah before I purchased this 2022 pretty much everything I'd heard was the Mach-Es were getting good range usually matching the EPA numbers. That's why I decided to sell my Tesla for the Mach-E that and I've always been a Ford guy and owned lots of mustangs and this was a way to mix my lives together slightly. But this 22 has just fallen short of the efficiency numbers. I going to try a few different things maybe pump up the tires a little extra. Try to drive with the windows down instead of the AC.

Awmustang

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Ecoboost Performance Pack, Ordered 24 i4 xDrive
Country flag
Yeah before I purchased this 2022 pretty much everything I'd heard was the Mach-Es were getting good range usually matching the EPA numbers. That's why I decided to sell my Tesla for the Mach-E that and I've always been a Ford guy and owned lots of mustangs and this was a way to mix my lives together slightly. But this 22 has just fallen short of the efficiency numbers. I going to try a few different things maybe pump up the tires a little extra. Try to drive with the windows down instead of the AC.
I'd be shocked if 70mph with the windows open provides you better efficiency. Drag forces increase exponentially as speed increases. Which means the difference between 70 and 60 is significantly greater than the difference between 60 and 50. EVs are designed to be as slippery as possible. They developed a whole new way to open doors for the Mach-E just to cut down on the drag caused by door handles. Open windows are going to be WAY more drag than door handles.
For ICE cars I've heard that the tipping point is 40 mph. Below that Windows open is more efficient than AC. Above that AC will use less gas. I haven't seen any such test done for EVs but I'd guess the tipping point wouldn't be much different.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I'd be shocked if 70mph with the windows open provides you better efficiency. Drag forces increase exponentially as speed increases. Which means the difference between 70 and 60 is significantly greater than the difference between 60 and 50. EVs are designed to be as slippery as possible. They developed a whole new way to open doors for the Mach-E just to cut down on the drag caused by door handles. Open windows are going to be WAY more drag than door handles.
For ICE cars I've heard that the tipping point is 40 mph. Below that Windows open is more efficient than AC. Above that AC will use less gas. I haven't seen any such test done for EVs but I'd guess the tipping point wouldn't be much different.
I have never seen a test either, but I am willing to bet that these electrically-driven A/C systems are much more efficient than the old mechanically-driven ones (since their drive system is more efficient than an ICE), which would make the tipping point even lower, possibly down to 35 mph or lower. I pretty much don’t use my A/C, but on a hot day I roll up the windows around 35 and maybe/maybe not turn on the A/C. ?‍♂??

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I have never seen a test either, but I am willing to bet that these electrically-driven A/C systems are much more efficient than the old mechanically-driven ones (since their drive system is more efficient than an ICE), which would make the tipping point even lower, possibly down to 35 mph or lower. I pretty much don’t use my A/C, but on a hot day I roll up the windows around 35 and maybe/maybe not turn on the A/C. ?‍♂??
A big factor is that the compressor speed can be optimized. With ICE, the speed is all over the place depending on engine RPM.

OP
OP

Crazypostman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
A big factor is that the compressor speed can be optimized. With ICE, the speed is all over the place depending on engine RPM.
The scan tool I use has a whole page for just AC information it talks about compressor speed and amps and whole bunch of others I don't even remember. Maybe I'll take a glance at that later.

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
Only had mine a few days, but been driving EVs 5+ years, my old First Gen Leaf with an 80 mile battery would get between 120miles, and 45miles depending on the weather/driving style. My Bolt, rated at 258, never got above 190miles because I had a heavy foot, guessing my Mach-E numbers will also be low. Basically if you dont need the range drive the hell out of the car and have fun, if you need the range then baby it and get what needed. Also the 120+ mile days in my Leaf were summertime, running errands around town, with an EV in 1-pedal you can go all day (or week) around town if obey traffic laws.

snowy_91

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Ice Blue GT Performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I will admit, I do not think I have seen anyone on this thread get what Ford advertised. Always for one reason or another but my car is rated for 260....best I have been able to get at 100% is 210....its best to just ignore whatever Ford advertises because it will always have caveats to it that make it close to impossible to get what they advertise.
I see as high as 247 in my GTPE, but the highest temps we have seen so far is just 55 degrees.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I see as high as 247 in my GTPE, but the highest temps we have seen so far is just 55 degrees.
I have never seen that on my GT-PE’s GOM, even when extrapolated for my max 85% SoC. The highest I have seen so far was just a few days ago, 234 extrapolated. When I’m having fun, I pretty much am not able to extrapolate anything above 185. ???

snowy_91

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Ice Blue GT Performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have never seen that on my GT-PE’s GOM, even when extrapolated for my max 85% SoC. The highest I have seen so far was just a few days ago, 234 extrapolated. When I’m having fun, I pretty much am not able to extrapolate anything above 185. ???
lol, it's pretty hard to resist the go pedal... :) in whisper it is really easy to hypermile this car, coast the last 1/4 mile to the stop sign and the regen braking very strong. I wish our fusion plug in was that strong.
Sponsored