Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not my case. I drive 1P and whisper elusively now and never touch the brakes. Regen works fine and is plenty aggressive enough in almost all cases (not cut off or quick yellow). No coasting in whisper here and it definitely slows down going down fairly sleep highway hills. Seen it mentioned a number of time that whisper has no regen and never get it. Drop the accelerator and it should slow down to a stop. In the winter on snow pack it will skid like to hit the brakes to quick so you need to baby the accelerator. Maybe people just do not use whisper mode so do not really know? Maybe not all cars are the same?
Sponsored

azulejost

First Name
t
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Iced Blue Silver Premium Std Range RWD
Country flag
In my wife’s Premium E4X, I seem to prefer 1P+Low in Unbridled. But in my Premium Standard RWD, I’ve driven a lot in Whisper and Engage and much less in Unbridled. Always in 1P and Low though, crank up the regen and modulate with the right foot. I’ll continue experimenting, but regularly have “braking scores” 98-100% so you can get a lot of regen in any mode with 1P and Low.

Does anyone know how much each mode adds, and then how much 1P and L add?

The only time I’ve driven out of 1P was to pull the car into the garage. I nearly took out the wall and door since the car hadn’t synced to my 1P profile. Won’t let that happen again.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
This exactly. If anything I want a little more Regen than Unbridled 1PD give you. You can always move your foot less to have less Regen, but once you are all the way off you can't get any more (from that pedal).

OP
OP

Sabbaspar

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Hi all. Does anyone else's Whisper mode result in near endless coasting when in two pedal driving? A traditional ICE car typically coasts much shorter distance than this one when not touching the accelerator pedal. My Cali Rt 1 can go miles in Whisper mode costing on flat ground. Might love 1 mph per hour every 20 seconds. Really strange to the point where I underestimate how far it will go and have to jam on brakes to avoid hitting things. It is definitely not Blue Cruise, which I do have and do use on occasion. This is different and seems almost like a brick is on the "gas" pedal.

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
just touch the brake pedal... it regens first, once that is not enough it then applies the traditional brakes.
The problem with this statement is... what do you mean by 'touch'? That's really vague. I prefer to have a separate button that does ONLY regen.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
The problem with this statement is... what do you mean by 'touch'? That's really vague. I prefer to have a separate button that does ONLY regen.

Ok... to better understand it do this.

Put the car in engage... drive along a road at say 45MPH... take your foot off the accelerator pedal and press the L button. the car will slow down fairly quickly. That level of slowing down is full regen. any slowing at that rate or less when you push the brake (in 2 Pedal mode) is only regen... no friction brakes are used at that level... when you exceed that level of deceleration, then some actual brake is blended in. The brake pedal does this automatically.

one more thing, one pedal driving is only regen. Either way, (1 pedal or 2 pedal) unless you are stopping faster than 1 pedal allows, you are never using the friction brakes. o_O

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That level of slowing down is full regen. any slowing at that rate or less when you push the brake (in 2 Pedal mode) is only regen
How do you know that? I'm not saying you are wrong, but there is zero indication from that car that will tell you when/if the physical brakes are engaging.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
How do you know that? I'm not saying you are wrong, but there is zero indication from that car that will tell you when/if the physical brakes are engaging.
No EV will tell you when the mechanical brakes are engaging... I explained above how you can get a feel for what level of deceleration regen provides.

how this works is a google search away...

fun fact... all the regen comes from the rear motor. AWD cars have zero additional regen over a RWD car.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Whisper mode coasts nearly endlessly? 1665683728518

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
fun fact... all the regen comes from the rear motor. AWD cars have zero additional regen over a RWD car.
This isn't true, I've observed regen from both motors. The front doesn't always do much but it does regen at slower speeds.

The rear motor is sufficient to reach the regen limit in a lot of cases, so that's why only the rear operates at times.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
This isn't true, I've observed regen from both motors. The front doesn't always do much but it does regen at slower speeds.

The rear motor is sufficient to reach the regen limit in a lot of cases, so that's why only the rear operates at times.
according to fords documentation on how regen works, it only uses the rear motor. That was linked somewhere in the forums.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Premium ER Mach E, '21 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
If you are in engage (not whisper or unbridled) and come to a near or complete stop you get a brake score. Anything less than 100% used some friction braking.

I drive a powerboost F150 and I made a game of teaching myself how to feather brakes just to get above 90%. I gotta say, it is EASY on the Mach to get 100% every time after training on the F150!

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
This exactly. If anything I want a little more Regen than Unbridled 1PD give you. You can always move your foot less to have less Regen, but once you are all the way off you can't get any more (from that pedal).
I would like them to graduate the regen in the last 10% of pedal travel a little better (and the power application in the same first 10% of travel). It's a little herky jerky as is, leading to kind of sudden stops and starts.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Logic is the best guide - why would the system use friction brakes to generate waste heat when it can use regen to generate electricity? Ford's engineers might have missed a few things, but that's unlikely to be one of them.

The other indicator you'll note over time is that you will never, ever have to change your brake pads if you use 1PD. Those things will be good for a zillion miles.

A question for you - why does anyone need to know when friction brakes engage? Curiosity, sure, but it makes no difference to your driving. The car is slowing down, one way or the other. It doesn't really matter if you're using friction or regen when it comes to not hitting the car in front of you.

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
why would the system use friction brakes to generate waste heat when it can use regen to generate electricity?
Because at some point I want to come to a complete (or quick) stop?
Sponsored