Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X premium, '21
Occupation
Physics prof.
Country flag
How much more expensive? More than say $500 which would be about what having a TeslaTap plus a NACS adapter would cost (not counting the fact that many of us are getting the Ford one free of charge).
The devil's in the details. If you want it to be user-proof, the switching would likely have to be automatic, hence powered. That starts to sound like a big box with things like the contactors we have all learned about. And this would probably only work if the car's and charger's signaling system tolerates it.

DC switching is in some ways much harder than AC switching. The spark from interrupting an AC flow usually quenches at the next AC polarity swap, i.e., 1/120 s. DC arcs don't self quench this way. Imagine that our putative contraption tries (through some error) to cut off the 500A...
Sponsored

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
So for those that don't study engineering, here is what a 500A 1000V DC switch looks like:

abb-500a-1000v-dc-otdc500f11k-dc-sd.jpg

It's 6" x 8" x 5" and weighs 8 pounds. I don't know cost but it's probably four figures. Definitely not microcontroller controlled (unless you want to add a giant servo motor). Imagine that being inside the adapter which would have to be basketball size.

And what would happen if you left the switch in the AC position at a Supercharger by mistake? The Supercharger would precharge your AC on-board charger with 400V. Not good.

Teslas are designed differently so their on-board chargers can handle the input voltage of DC charging. We can't do that after the fact, so we a stuck needing to use two separate adapters.

Hopefully this shuts down any rational discussion over the feasibility of adding a switch inside a DC charging adapter. It's not happening.
Thanks, this is helpful. I’m more used to working with currents and voltages in the mA and mV range or smaller.

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Thanks! Are you happy with it? I actually tried to sand down the inside of the TT with a dremel but it’s not easy. Not sure if it will help but I figured it was worth a try since I couldn’t in good conscience sell my TT to someone. If it doesn’t work I’ll probably get the Lectron.
Yeah, it’s been fine. Never have an issue with either side being tight.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
So for those that don't study engineering, here is what a 500A 1000V DC switch looks like:

abb-500a-1000v-dc-otdc500f11k-dc-sd.jpg

It's 6" x 8" x 5" and weighs 8 pounds. I don't know cost but it's probably four figures. Definitely not microcontroller controlled (unless you want to add a giant servo motor). Imagine that being inside the adapter which would have to be basketball size.

And what would happen if you left the switch in the AC position at a Supercharger by mistake? The Supercharger would precharge your AC on-board charger with 400V. Not good.

Teslas are designed differently so their on-board chargers can handle the input voltage of DC charging. We can't do that after the fact, so we a stuck needing to use two separate adapters.

Hopefully this shuts down any rational discussion over the feasibility of adding a switch inside a DC charging adapter. It's not happening.
LOL I was about to post that in order to put everything you would need in one package you would have a device more than the size of both the AC and DC adapters combined and probably 4 or more times the weight. Not practical. 🤷‍♂️🐩

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
LOL I was about to post that in order to put everything you would need in one package you would have a device more than the size of both the AC and DC adapters combined and probably 4 or more times the weight. Not practical. 🤷‍♂️🐩
But think of the 3rd party opportunities to make a mobile charger dolly-tower to support it and move it around. Like those gazing orb stands, but with wheels. :p

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
But think of the 3rd party opportunities to make a mobile charger dolly-tower to support it and move it around. Like those gazing orb stands, but with wheels. :p
Heh, we can tow them around on our Ford-installed trailer hitches! 🤣🐩

Jtbuster

First Name
Brian oConnor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
Except when the fit is so tight that it becomes torture to remove. That’s been my issue with it. I should have returned mine when I had the chance but decided to see if using it would make it a bit looser. It has but only slightly and it’s still a pain. I’ve heard the newer ones don’t have this issue.
Tesla Tap said to use a dolip of dielectric grease and stickiness resolved.

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag