Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Honestly, I feel like CarPlay and Android Auto wouldn't be necessary if OEM's infotainment software (Ford's included) wasn't hot garbage by comparison.
Disagree here. Unless Ford opens up their own equivalent of the play store, there's no way they could compete with a platform that literally has an army of independent app developers. Since the native apps will have the capability to control a 5000 pound moving machine, I can see why they wouldn't want to do that. AA/CP are a nice compromise; you get that army of developers to write apps that are accessible, but without opening up a huge security hole.

The recent attempt on Tesla is a case in point that proves the wisdom of locking down the car's native OS.
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Disagree here. Unless Ford opens up their own equivalent of the play store, there's no way they could compete with a platform that literally has an army of independent app developers. Since the native apps will have the capability to control a 5000 pound moving machine, I can see why they wouldn't want to do that. AA/CP are a nice compromise; you get that army of developers to write apps that are accessible, but without opening up a huge security hole.

The recent attempt on Tesla is a case in point that proves the wisdom of locking down the car's native OS.
Ford DID THIS through AppLink, well before CarPlay or Android Auto. It still exists:

https://developer.ford.com/pages/applink

Something on the order of one or two dozen apps currently support AppLink. Which is why no one knows about it, and why CarPlay or Android Auto are FAR superior.

In the same vein, look how few apps are supported by Tesla (a handful that are Internet connected, plus some games?).

Same with Android Automotive (in Polestar), although that will pick up some volume if a lot more cars choose to use it and if the OEMs keep the version of Android up to date (highly unlikely).

Njia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escape Hybrid, Mach-E Prem/AWD/Standard Battery
Country flag

But how many of those native apps on iOS or Android are really available through CarPlay or AA? It's just a handful in both cases from my experience. Mostly, I've found them to be the basic functions like phone, texts, calendar, contacts, maps, and audio (Spotify, podcasts, etc.). It's not like Facebook and Twitter are going to accessible any time soon.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag

To add to your comment.

The tech companies with large ad or member supported features have massive economy of scale. Their voice recognition is going to be way better than other companies that don't have those resources, and that allows them to provide updated map information, music options, etc.. without extra charge.

On one of my vehicles they recently added Alexa because there was no way they were going to be able to provide similar functions without massive costs.

SD_Solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Leaf SV 2019 Leaf SL Plus Ford F250 Jeep Cherokee First Edition Grabber Blue Order
Country flag
Actually, that is not correct. I ran all the numbers on their web sites and for the:
Model Y in their one No extra cost White (lousy) paint choice delivered is : $51,190
The other 4 paint colors are $1,000 to $2,000 additional cost.

The Premium ER AWD is $57,700 – X Plan discount of $879.
Note: Any one can qualify for this X Plan discount with a $25 Mustang Club membership
or by owning Ford stock.

So the Mach –E cost:
$57,700 MSRP
+ $25 Mustang Club Membership
-$879 X Plan Discount
+$1,100 Delivery Charge
-$7,500 Fed Tax Credit

$50,446 Total Cost
Or $744 less than the Model Y with the only one lousy Standard paint choice.

We won’t know until delivery, but likely Ford Credit will also offer
at least a $1,000 discount to finance with them.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
The driver is fine, and he ended up getting the car back on the mountain in 48 hours and competing, so I can make the joke . . . what is it with Tesla and those rear bumpers falling off? And he didn't even go through water! :)

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Really? We know that Tesla dropped prices for two reasons . . . greater efficiency in production (i.e. sending crap out the door and letting the customer worry about it) and . . . the lack of Federal tax Credit so they could continue to compete. I am going to guess that anyone considering this car can take advantage of the full $7,500. And I am also guessing that is factored into Ford making a profit on this car.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
I expect that the vast majority of buyers will be able to have the benefit of the tax credit. For those of us who can, yes, the tax credit does matter as it does affect my price of the vehicle (in fact, Tesla used to build it into their website pricing along with the “gas savings” before they were no longer eligible to build it in).
If you’re one of the few who cannot take advantage of the credit, you are right — for you, price of the MME is not an advantage. For me and most others, it is.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Why is the license plate cheaper?

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
The vast majority of those considering buying a BEV do not do so based upon practicality.