BK2EV

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MachE AWD Premium ER, 2015 Challenger Hellcat
Country flag
Took delivery 3/31/21 of our Rapid Red Premium. We were working to configure everything and when it came to wi-fi it wouldn't connect to our network. Oddly the 2019 Fusion and 2020 Lincoln works fine on the same network. Mach-e kept failing trying to join the network. Verified US-English input was selected. On a hunch I reviewed our wi-fi config and found that it was set to WPA2-Personal only (who doesn't want better security). One option was to allow both WPA and WPA2-Personal. Changed it and voila, Mach-E connected first try.

For reference Its a Netgear Nighthawk A8 router and this was the 2.4GHz band. We use it as a WAP (no dhcp) and our provider router is the DHCP server.

Other than that, enjoying the car!!

Note - I did use the touch screen to report a wi-fi issue but they don't allow you to type the entire problem.

BK2EV
Sponsored

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
I'm kinda bothered that the MME can't handle WPA2.

Chudsaviet

First Name
Timofei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 First Edition AWD, 2014 Leaf
Occupation
Software
Country flag
Be careful with WEP and WPA1 - these are deprecated standards. They are easily hacked.
Good news are that Mach-E connects with my WPA2 network. I’m using UniFi system.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
Be careful with WEP and WPA1 - these are deprecated standards. They are easily hacked.
Good news are that Mach-E connects with my WPA2 network. I’m using UniFi system.
Which? We have reports of users with USG as the DHCP server not connecting. Which gateway are you using and is it setup as the DHCP server or something else is?

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
Which? We have reports of users with USG as the DHCP server not connecting. Which gateway are you using and is it setup as the DHCP server or something else is?
I suspect that changing the settings to allow for wpa was not the issue but in doing so, it soft reset the wifi radios and that is what allowed the MME ro connect

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I have WPA2 only as well without issues on my Mach-E (Unifi Dream Machine Pro serving DHCP, Pi-Hole for DNS, and both a Unifi 6 Mesh AP and Unifi 6 In-Wall AP. Mach-E is connected to the 2.4Ghz only network).

I would try setting your wifi AP back to WPA2 only to see if it continues to work.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I also am using Unifi gear, and my MME joined my WPA2 network with no issues.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
Sorry, I think there is a mis-understanding. You said,

That you are using the UniFi system. I am asking you

(1) which UniFi gateway are you using? USG? UDM-PRO? Something else?
(2) Do you have the gateway setup as the DHCP server as well, or do you have it only as a relay and are using something else as your DHCP server (such as Pi-Hole as one example)?
Basically stating that its not the WPA settings that is causing the issue, reiterating that it is a dhcp issue.

kf_man

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Fusion Sport
Country flag
I'm also having trouble getting the car to connect to my WiFi (Unifi USG with two UAPs). Looking through the settings this morning all of my networks had the "High Performance Devices" setting turned on:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Wi-fi connection issue - Solved allowing WPA 1617476637009

I turned it off on my two non-primary networks and I'm hoping that will fix the issue. I believe that forces devices which support 5GHz to use it. Works great in the house, but I can see how it might be a problem from the driveway, 5Ghz doesn't traverse through walls very well.

UPDATE: No dice. Still unable to connect to any of the networks.

Last edited:

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
I'm also having trouble getting the car to connect to my WiFi (Unifi USG with two UAPs). ...

UPDATE: No dice. Still unable to connect to any of the networks.
So far, any of us with a USG seem to have issues (although one user claiming to have a USG says he/she has no issue). One user with a UDM-PRO has no issues.

OP
OP

BK2EV

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MachE AWD Premium ER, 2015 Challenger Hellcat
Country flag
Update:

Definitely dont want to keep the WPA configured.

With that said, I changed it back to WPA2 only, and the connection remained. Not sure why the issues connecting as every other FOMOCO vehicle was fine with the WPA2.

Definitely not DHCP issues in our case.

BK2EV

Finkerton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE
Country flag
Since you have it working with a USG, would you mind posting screen shots of your settings?

If you'd mind, two things I'd be interested in knowing:
* What is the domain name -- specifically does it have x.y format (like home.localdomain) or just x format (like home)
* Do you have DHCP Guarding on?

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
So, mine will connect to my home network which has a hidden network SSID. Then, the next time it returns to the garage, it won’t. I get a little WIFI symbol with an “I” in it. Is anybody else having that problem - with a hidden network?
Sponsored