Will Bluecruise 1.2 be available via OTA update?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
You know, it's really easy to prove your point when you have sources.... I think that's what everyone is asking you to do. When you cite a source and someone says "could you provide a link" and you say "no" it makes your assertions sound like they're full of šŸ’©
Could I add: also employing just a modicum of critical thought and not just taking some random blogger/vlogger claims as gospel?
Sponsored

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Could I add: also employing just a modicum of critical thought and not just taking some random blogger/vlogger claims as gospel?
Nicely put, I'm not sure why so many people say ... "Well Tom on YouTube said".

These people are doing tests in their backyard using commonly available phone apps. They aren't EV Gods, they are just trying to make a buck.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Version 1.0 is very limited and version 1.2 is the upgrade. Upgrades include better lane-keep assist, lane centering and lane changing.
I've driven over 18,000 miles in Mach-Es, over 1/2 that with BlueCruise 1.0. I do not consider it "very limited". I have no issue with lane-keep or lane-centering.

Your understanding of the improvements in 1.2 don't match with what I've read.

1) Lane Change Assist.
2) Predictive Speed Assist (handles curves better).
3) In-Lane Repositioning.

You missed #2, and you broke #3 in two things.

I agree that 1.2 will be better, and look forward to it. But saying that 1.0 is "very limited" is just off the mark.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
If either of you had to go through this process with blue cruise 1.0 youā€™d understand this is a complex update. When 1.0 rolled out it took months. First they had early access cars test the updates, then they tweaked the updates and rolled them out to early access again. Then they finally started pushing them to regular cars. This wasnā€™t just one update either, it was 8 consecutive updates and it took over a week.

The update process has gotten better since then, but they still are not going to rush anything and risk bricking cars, which I am thankful for.
I went through the process with 1.0 and spend a fair amount of time in conversation with various Ford engineers etc. in the process.

your assumption that the speed at which they progress has something to do with caution or extra testing. It has more to do with it not being a priority for Ford. sorry.

OP
OP

spgordon57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-e
Country flag
Thanks. So, to be sure I understand, you are saying that BlueCruise 1.0 is ā€œvery limitedā€ because itā€™s ā€œlane keeping assist and lane centeringā€ are not as good as those capabilities in 1.2 and because it lacks ā€œlane changingā€? And for those reasons, you ā€œalmost neverā€ use BlueCruise in your car?
If those are correct, follow-on question: have you ever owned a car with basic cruise control? If so, did you ever use it?
A friend has a ā€˜23 with BC 1.2 and its performance is much better and user-friendlier than my ā€˜22. Almost night v. day. Itā€™s a significant upgrade.

tonesto7

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Software Developer/System Admin
Country flag
I've driven over 18,000 miles in Mach-Es, over 1/2 that with BlueCruise 1.0. I do not consider it "very limited". I have no issue with lane-keep or lane-centering.

1) Lane Change Assist.

I agree that 1.2 will be better, and look forward to it. But saying that 1.0 is "very limited" is just off the mark.
You correct 1.0 worked just fine. 1.2 is significantly more refined and its reactions feel more human.
The lane changing works incredibly.
The predictive speed is so-so and sometimes can't make up its mind if it should keep slowing down after it's started.
The lane repositioning is blah and it don't really notice it working.

The biggest change in 1.2 is going to be the possible activation of the MobileEye Roadbook mapping.
Mobileye REMā„¢ - Road Experience Management
This will allow every car that's equipped to map all roads and intersections and submit to the create detailed and up-to-date infrastructure maps for upcoming Hands-free updates and autopilot software.

Last edited:
OP
OP

spgordon57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-e
Country flag
The Mustang Mach E weights roughly 4,500 lbs. Your assertion is that a 1.5% weight decrease would yield an almost 5% range increase (270 mile stated range for MY21 + YOUR claimed 13 miles range increase) / 270 ~ 4.81% increase).
Just looking at the numbers, does that make sense to you? 1.5% weight decrease = 5% range increase?
Itā€™s not my opinion, sir. Itā€™s what I read months ago in the auto press.

OP
OP

spgordon57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-e
Country flag

1) Lane Change Assist.

I have driven both and stand by my assessment.

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
Not true. The 2021 was rated at 270 miles; the 2022 rated for 277 miles and the 23 is rated for 290 miles. The increase in 2022 was because Ford increased the accessible battery capacity by 3%. I read that the 2023 range increase was due to the weight loss.
So I have a 21 job 2, I bought in March of 22 and it already had the battery capacity unlocked when I bought it, they just never go back and update the orginal paperwork. I read the difference with the 23s is the way they measure. So if the same person drove the same model the same way, 21, 22, 23 they would likely get the same range.

Personally, I believe that Teslaā€™s approach is literally criminal. First, Tesla has never obtained consent from me to participate in their ā€œbetaā€ yet, by placing these vehicles on the roads and in traffic where I could reasonably be expected to drive, I am being unwillingly and unknowingly being forced to participate in their beta program, against my will. Second, I believe that Tesla is deliberately disregarding public safety and putting property and lives in danger by putting this software, that they have labeled as ā€œbetaā€ (generally accepted to mean not final, experimental, may contain errors, may not function properly or as expected) on public roads where it can harm others.
Consider: how willing would YOU be to board an airplane if the airline proudly announced that your flight would be operated by the ā€œbetaā€ version of the manufacturerā€™s autopilot software? That would make the AutoTrain or just driving down I-95 to Disney look a lot more attractive, huh? šŸ˜€šŸ˜€šŸ˜€
I agree 100% its my biggest issue with Tesla, not the cars, the attitude which they go about everything, and the cult following it has created. Was at an EV show, a Tesla was pulling out to leave, no noise going backwards, almost ran over people cause no one heard it. I commented "no beep" and a Tesla owner was confidently telling me how the older ones dont do that. To which I replied "oh yeah, Tesla doesnt really car about anyone else out there".

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
A friend has a ā€˜23 with BC 1.2 and its performance is much better and user-friendlier than my ā€˜22. Almost night v. day. Itā€™s a significant upgrade.
Iā€™m sure itā€™s better, but your original comment implied that you found BlueCruise 1.0 close to worthless.

OP
OP

spgordon57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-e
Country flag
Iā€™m sure itā€™s better, but your original comment implied that you found BlueCruise 1.0 close to worthless.
On an open freeway V 1.0 is okay. Not so much on a busy freeway, even if maintaining speeds of 60-65 mph, when nearby cars are changing lanes. Under those conditions you have to take the wheel frequently and it doesn't change lanes for you. True, I rarely get to drive on a wide open highway. Also it tends to ping-pong from one side of a lane to the other. My friend's MME w/ BC 1.2 works better and instills more confidence to keep your hands off the wheel. It also changes lanes which is pretty cool.

OP
OP

spgordon57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-e
Country flag
It was months ago, likely in a MotorTrend or similar magazine

Thor2j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT , Ford Raptor
Country flag
Itā€™s not my opinion, sir. Itā€™s what I read months ago in the auto press.
Common sense should tell you 70 lbs isn't going to be close to changing the mileage that much. So if you put 4 people in your car you are saying mileage would decrease by 50%????
It was discussed that they could shave 70 lbs off but was never done.
Sponsored