Will You Buy The Next Gen Mach-E When It Comes Out?

Will You Buy The Next Gen Mach-E When It Comes Out?

• Total voters

PWNdaddy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AWD Premium Extended Range
Country flag
There isn’t enough surface area on a car for adding solar panels to be all that effective.
If you're talking about making a difference on long trips, or simply referencing current-gen solar power, you're correct. No doubt. But for short commutes, solar efficiency is good enough to supplement most needs. If memory serves me well (please feel free to correct me), the potential for solar is 1.4 kWh per square meter. Actual efficiency is usually around 20% of that, and real-world daylight hours will vary based on location. Squeezing a few square meters of current-gen solar panels would be equivalent to the L1 Ford charger, at least here in sunny Austin, Tx.

I'm a technological optimist, though. High-efficiency solar panels approach 50% efficiency (not sure if this is consumer tech yet). I couldn't state the efficiency off the top of my head, but researchers have also been able to produce solar power using a specialized paint that could be put on houses, as well as cars, roads, boats, etc.

If you put next-gen batteries (more lightweight) AND next-gen solar in a vehicle with a lower drag coefficient, you've got a clear recipe for success. The EV market will organically lead in this direction as the technology develops. It could be in 10 years, but this is where we are headed. Check out the Lightyear 2 EV.

Also, although I'm 39, the MME is the first new vehicle I've ever purchased. My last car was a 2013 C-Max that I took as my wife's hand-me-down. Before that was her hand-me-down 2009 Corolla, and before that was a 2002 Expedition I bought for $2500 on Craigslist. I'm 100% a "gadget guy" and not at all a "car guy." I love my car because of the tech in it and couldn't care less about anything else.

The tech for solar, L3 (and beyond), and more efficient batteries will be here sooner than many people think. When it arrives, I'll be right here. Until then, I will drive my MME indefinitely with a big smile on my face!
Sponsored

Jimmyd

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Define: Drive train. Do you mean something other than the HVJB?
I stopped at a traffic light and as I slowed down, I heard a ratcheting sound. I thought I may have a flat. When light changed, the same sound was heard and car would not move. I patted the acceler a couple of times very gently and the motor would increase in revolutions but car would not move. (I own the less expensive rear drive version). I had traffic blocked in all directions. Called the Sherrif and they send 3police cars and a ambulance. I put the car in Neutral and the deputies helped me push the car to a safe place to leave it. So I am assuming I had a mechanical break somewhere between motor output and axle drive shaft. A shot out to Ford Roadside Service. They were great.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
If you put next-gen batteries (more lightweight) AND next-gen solar in a vehicle with a lower drag coefficient, you've got a clear recipe for success. The EV market will organically lead in this direction as the technology develops. It could be in 10 years, but this is where we are headed. Check out the Lightyear 2 EV.
From your lips to God's ear brother! I've become less hopeful about things like solid state batteries being a thing within the next 10 years so I'm glad optimistic folks like you continue to nudge me back from the dark side!

Exordium01

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
If you're talking about making a difference on long trips, or simply referencing current-gen solar power, you're correct. No doubt. But for short commutes, solar efficiency is good enough to supplement most needs. If memory serves me well (please feel free to correct me), the potential for solar is 1.4 kWh per square meter. Actual efficiency is usually around 20% of that, and real-world daylight hours will vary based on location. Squeezing a few square meters of current-gen solar panels would be equivalent to the L1 Ford charger, at least here in sunny Austin, Tx.

I'm a technological optimist, though. High-efficiency solar panels approach 50% efficiency (not sure if this is consumer tech yet). I couldn't state the efficiency off the top of my head, but researchers have also been able to produce solar power using a specialized paint that could be put on houses, as well as cars, roads, boats, etc.

Also, although I'm 39, the MME is the first new vehicle I've ever purchased. My last car was a 2013 C-Max that I took as my wife's hand-me-down. Before that was her hand-me-down 2009 Corolla, and before that was a 2002 Expedition I bought for $2500 on Craigslist. I'm 100% a "gadget guy" and not at all a "car guy." I love my car because of the tech in it and couldn't care less about anything else.

The tech for solar, L3 (and beyond), and more efficient batteries will be here sooner than many people think. When it arrives, I'll be right here. Until then, I will drive my MME indefinitely with a big smile on my face!
It’s around 1.4 kW per square meter in space. Terrestrially, it’s less than 1kW/ square meter in the summer and you only get that if you point the cells directly at the sun in perfect weather. All the PV world records are also at high concentration (500-1000 suns), not for flat plate technologies.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for PV. I have an array on my roof and I’d love to see arrays shading parking lots, but an install on a car is good for a few miles a day.

EvGary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt, Primus Prime
Occupation
Computer Programmer
Country flag
I have a job 2 '21 premium, 39k miles and many 2000 mile trips. Love how it looks and drives, and have had very few issues. I'm waiting for an upgrade to the charging time, whether that's new battery tech, or an 800 volt architecture. Also improvement on the cold range, such as adding a heat pump. Until then I'll enjoy what I have until I'm forced to get a new car.

echeck

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GT
Country flag
I love my car and plan on having it for a long time. There needs to be an option in the poll for this.

I will never treat my car like I do my phone, and upgrade every 3-4 years. That’s crazy talk!

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I stopped at a traffic light and as I slowed down, I heard a ratcheting sound. I thought I may have a flat. When light changed, the same sound was heard and car would not move. I patted the acceler a couple of times very gently and the motor would increase in revolutions but car would not move. (I own the less expensive rear drive version). I had traffic blocked in all directions. Called the Sherrif and they send 3police cars and a ambulance. I put the car in Neutral and the deputies helped me push the car to a safe place to leave it. So I am assuming I had a mechanical break somewhere between motor output and axle drive shaft. A shot out to Ford Roadside Service. They were great.
Interesting. Definitely the first time I’ve heard of a mechanical failure like this, but can understand why do you don’t have faith in the durability.

If the data helps though, you may feel better knowing that the other 49,999 of us on the road haven’t had this happen.

johnmark

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Should note that I have until April 2026 to decide - that's when my options plan reaches the end. I'm hoping that by then ford has some cool NG EV choices lined up.

They totally will, right???

OP
OP
MellowJohnny

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
I love my car and plan on having it for a long time. There needs to be an option in the poll for this.

I will never treat my car like I do my phone, and upgrade every 3-4 years. That’s crazy talk!
You can interpret the poll question as "when the time comes" vs. "when it comes out". I'm in the same boat - I've kept each car I've own for an average of 10 years, and don't plan on getting rid of it. But I do have an XC-90 that may be up for replacement with a BEV.

Jimmyd

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Interesting. Definitely the first time I’ve heard of a mechanical failure like this, but can understand why do you don’t have faith in the durability.

If the data helps though, you may feel better knowing that the other 49,999 of us on the road haven’t had this happen.
while I am still waiting on my dealer to tell me what failed, my thoughts are, the most robust part of this car must be the drive train. I watched an hour long video on how the rear transmission device is assembled and the professor noted the power capability of the electric motor. It was 3 times what is actually delivered to the rear axles. I drive the car as I would my wifes Prius, so car not abused. After a week I still haven’t been told what happened so I may be wrong when they inform me.

blkadr08

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE Premium XR
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I really like and enjoy my Mach e. Were it not for Ford’s spotty, inconsistent and frustrating software development and deployment I would be up for a new one.
As it is, I will not subject myself to another 4 years of grief.

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
I would likely trade out my '22 AWD Select for a '26 GTPE if Gen 2 looks good. I would be stoked if the PE came with a wider stance and body kit, to distinguish it from the more base models. I would like to see V2L and V2H capabilities. A solar roof option rather than Pano or Tin could run some HVAC when the car is parked. All season tires should be selectable at the build page. I saw a Hummer EV SUV last night, and can imagine all the cool toys coming our way in the next few years.

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
The sort of features or enhancements I would want to see in a next Gen Mach-E are as follows:

- A completely redesigned cooling and heating solution. I want to see sufficient cooling that you could actually drive it like you stole it.. you know.. like a Mustang without a silly power limit due to inadequate cooling? Common Ford! I also want to see real innovation here with tight integration of cooling and heating, less plumbing, less coolant weight and an increase in efficiency.. like heat scavenging, and a far more sophisticated thermal routing implementation with something similar to the Tesla Octovalve. It exists, it works amazingly well, so let's start there as a bench mark shall we?

- Get rid of the excess weight and wasted wiring, and be smarter about how this is implemented. Look at what Tesla is doing with the 48v architecture. The Mach-E is your flagship EV product, so leverage and lean into that with bleeding edge new low voltage architecture. I mean you've now got a "how to guide" from Tesla, so let's see it!

- I want to see some of that weight savings from the plumbing and all the un-necessary wiring translate into the addition of a heat pump. Sure it adds a bit if weight and complexity. But based on the temperature ranges most people drive in (not the extremes) it's going to translate into a more consistent range and user experience across most weather.

- I would want to see the next gen SYNC that is built upon Android Automotive (not to be confused with Android Auto).

- I would want to see heated seats in the REAR as STANDARD equipment for premium trims. There is no possible good explanation for why anyone in a PREMIUM EV should need to add third party seat heating so that their passengers (kids) can remain comfortable in the winter, while being energy conscious and sipping as few electrons as possible to stay warm. Seat heating is by far the most efficient way to stay warm in a vehicle!

- Get rid of those weak rear trunk tabs that hold up the sub floor, and give us something that cam actually hold some weight!

- Give us additional storage under the sub floor while your at it. This is an EV after all, Get creative, you've got the space so use it!

- A single 110v outlet of 15A inside the vehicle would go very far in adding tremendous value for your customers. This thing is a 92KWHR battery on wheels, so let me use it how I want to use it, when I need it most!

- Bi-directional charging. You know how to do it, the F150 lightning has it, so let's get it done, enough said!

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I went from a Select AWD to a GTPE. I’m not doing another car for the foreseeable future. I hope this one doesn’t have any major issues for the next 5 years at least, because the 1st year with the Select was rough, and the 1st year with the GTPE was the same.
Sponsored