Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT PE, + ME Select AWD, '21 Explorer ST
Occupation
Tech Company Owner / CEO
Country flag
(should this post be placed in another category / topic?)

I am the lucky one to have received first customer delivery of the Mach-E GT Performance Edition back in August. I love the car and while initially intending to have it be my daily driver year-round, I have decided to keep it nice and put away for winter storage. Never done anything like this so would like some advice, please.

I would intend to store from mid-November until March or early April, so about 4-5 months. Note: I have a clean garage space which will have very infrequent opening during these months, so little exterior dust.
  1. Wash & clean prior to storing
  2. Battery state of charge - I think I read somewhere to charge it to about 50%, maybe check it once per month? Estimate how much it may drain per week or per month? I realize would need to remove the cover if I ever charge during the storage months.
  3. Jack stands- purpose is to preserve shocks/struts/suspension. This GT PE has MagnaRide - so any real need to do this? Or place on jacks to preserve tires so not to be deformed? (Pirelli summer tires)
    1. If recommended to place on jack stands, are the jack support points easy to find?
  4. Tire pressure - recommend to deflate from 39 psi to lower amount like 30 psi?
  5. Keep dry by placing Desiccant inside
  6. Move it every XX days just to keep things from locking up - just inside and out of garage a few times on warmer days during winter.
  7. 12V battery - any special treatment? Disconnect?
  8. Check for software updates before storing?
  9. Temperature - Live in Iowa so in Jan-Feb could see outdoor temps reach -20F sometimes. Not sure how low temps will reach in garage, so I may get a quote to get it heated to maintain a minimal temp 30F-40F.
  10. Anything else suggested? Good thing no need to change oil, fill fluids, plug exhaust pipes (critters), etc. like an ICE vehicle.
  11. Cover - I initially saw a custom Mach-E cover listed on Ford's parts site. Can't find it anymore. Where could I buy one? Really would like this custom cover but would consider others. Ford Mach-E - Custom Full Vehicle Cover -VMJ8Z-19A412-A --- no longer appears on Ford's site...
Ford Mustang Mach-E Winter Storage Suggestions for GT PE 1636143249291

And next spring / summer, return to the drag strip for head-to-head race of the '21 Mach-E GT PE against my new '21 Explorer ST with mods.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Winter Storage Suggestions for GT PE IMG_6857.JPG

1636554970352.png

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Ford recommends disconnecting the 12v battery for prolonged storage. But that will make checking the SOC and moving the car more difficult.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Why not set your FordPass max charge to be 50%, and leave the J-1772 connected constantly all winter?
You'd guarantee the car always has power to keep the HVB at a minimum temperature, and the car would be able to receive OTA.

OP
OP
0t60-3.5

0t60-3.5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech Company Owner / CEO
Country flag
Why not set your FordPass max charge to be 50%, and leave the J-1772 connected constantly all winter?
You'd guarantee the car always has power to keep the HVB at a minimum temperature, and the car would be able to receive OTA.
The garage for storing is separate from where I have the Ford Connected Charger. Plus, I have a 2nd Mach-E that will need to charge periodically - every 10-12 days.

However, could use the mobile charger to plug into standard 120V AC outlet. I think I've heard, however, not to have it plugged in with a cover on it.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
The garage for storing is separate from where I have the Ford Connected Charger. Plus, I have a 2nd Mach-E that will need to charge periodically - every 10-12 days.

However, could use the mobile charger to plug into standard 120V AC outlet. I think I've heard, however, not to have it plugged in with a cover on it.
In winter temps, I would think charging under a cover would totally be ok. For the Arizona folks, probably don't do it though.

cloud9

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bullitt, 19Edge ST, 21 Explorer ST ,21 MMEGTPE
Country flag

I am the lucky one to have received first customer delivery of the Mach-E GT Performance Edition back in August. I love the car and while initially intending to have it be my daily driver year-round, I have decided to keep it nice and put away for winter storage. Never done anything like this so would like some advice, please.

I would intend to store from mid-November until March or early April, so about 4-5 months. Note: I have a clean garage space which will have very infrequent opening during these months, so little exterior dust.
  2. Battery state of charge - I think I read somewhere to charge it to about 50%, maybe check it once per month? Estimate how much it may drain per week or per month? I realize would need to remove the cover if I ever charge during the storage months.
  3. Jack stands- purpose is to preserve shocks/struts/suspension. This GT PE has MagnaRide - so any real need to do this? Or place on jacks to preserve tires so not to be deformed? (Pirelli summer tires)
    1. If recommended to place on jack stands, are the jack support points easy to find?
  4. Tire pressure - recommend to deflate from 39 psi to lower amount like 30 psi?
  6. Move it every XX days just to keep things from locking up - just inside and out of garage a few times on warmer days during winter.
  9. Temperature - Live in Iowa so in Jan-Feb could see outdoor temps reach -20F sometimes. Not sure how low temps will reach in garage, so I may get a quote to get it heated to maintain a minimal temp 30F-40F.
  10. Anything else suggested? Good thing no need to change oil, fill fluids, plug exhaust pipes (critters), etc. like an ICE vehicle.
  11. Cover - I initially saw a custom Mach-E cover listed on Ford's parts site. Can't find it anymore. Where could I buy one? Really would like this custom cover but would consider others.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Winter Storage Suggestions for GT PE 1636554970352

And next spring / summer, return to the drag strip for head-to-head race of the '21 Mach-E GT PE against my new '21 Explorer ST with mods.

I stored all my ICE Mustangs in my garage for the winter with little to no prep and never had any issues. Just clean it, and cover it. (Stabil and a trickle charger for the ICE vehicles) I wouldn't deflate the tires, especially if you're going to move it when they're cold. They'll go back into shape as soon as you start driving it in the spring. No need to put on jack stands. It's better to leave the suspension loaded. I've left my GTPE at 50% SOC for 3-4 weeks at a time in September and October when I was down in AZ and returned without any measurable loss in SOC. Is there 110V power in the garage? You could set it for a 50% SOC max and leave it plugged into your mobile charger.

I picked up a 2021 Explorer ST a couple days after the GTPE and drove it down to AZ. Might be one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. It's an awesome ride and should give the GTPE a run for its money, especially when the MME falls on its face at the 1/8th mile :p

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
I can't talk to the EV specific items, but everything else seems overkill. Park it, cover it, put some baking soda in a dish inside, disconnect the 12v battery and you will be fine. No need to move it every so often or keep it on jack stands. You can also leave the tire pressure alone.

Note: if rodents are a concern put some moth balls and dryer sheets around (but not in) the car.

Source: have stored my ICE mustangs for the last several Winters in upstate NY.

Bonus: call you insurance company and let them know you are storing it. Allstate lets me drop liability and collision when in storage to some some $$.

OP
OP
0t60-3.5

0t60-3.5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech Company Owner / CEO
Country flag
I picked up a 2021 Explorer ST a couple days after the GTPE and drove it down to AZ. Might be one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. It's an awesome ride and should give the GTPE a run for its money, especially when the MME falls on its face at the 1/8th mile :p
We need to get together... both own new GT PE and Explorer ST!

Off-topic: I'm quite excited about the included Ford Performance ST SUV Experience by the Performance Racing School! Do you have plans to do that as well? Seems registration is in 2022 and I'm heading to Provo!

cloud9

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bullitt, 19Edge ST, 21 Explorer ST ,21 MMEGTPE
Country flag
We need to get together... both own new GT PE and Explorer ST!

Off-topic: I'm quite excited about the included Ford Performance ST SUV Experience by the Performance Racing School! Do you have plans to do that as well? Seems registration is in 2022 and I'm heading to Provo!
I've done both the Boss 302 and GT350 schools at Utah Motorsports Park (formerly Miller Motorsports Park) in Touele UT which is near Provo. I've also been to the Fellowes School in Pahrump, NV a couple times in Vettes. I haven't decided whether I'll do the Explorer ST one yet. Ford Performance puts on a great program and I would highly recommend going if you've never been to one.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

11. Cover - I initially saw a custom Mach-E cover listed on Ford's parts site. Can't find it anymore. Where could I buy one? Really would like this custom cover but would consider others.

I think you should store it in Arizona. I have an address in mind. I would even clean out the garage to make room. Just saying....
:)

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Meh, just park it at 50% and that's really it. Unplug any chargers in the 12V or USB ports, dashcams, etc. Check the battery SoC every month on your phone to make sure it's staying above 20%. It should get through the winter on 50% without requiring any charging.

Personally I would be hesitant to plug it in since it's been reported to randomly charge to 100% sometimes. Software isn't reliable enough yet. You might not notice and it could sit like that for weeks or months. Storing a battery at 100% SoC for prolonged periods like that will cause some degradation. If the battery is not in use, it doesn't need to be kept warm, it won't hurt it sitting at -20ÂşF. Just don't charge it when it's really cold as that can cause permanent damage. If you must (e.g. battery is getting below 20%), cold charging should use a 240V outlet so there's enough power to warm the battery first, 120V isn't enough for that.

Tires and suspension will be fine sitting. Keep the tires at 39 psi to minimize deflection. First time you drive it in the spring you might notice some thumping from flat spots, but this will go away very quickly. In the past I'd be most worried about gas going bad in stored vehicles, but this is easy!

Electric Fusion

First Name
Jerome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Audi eTron, TT Roush Mustang, *Mustang Mach E 4X
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
  1. Cover - I initially saw a custom Mach-E cover listed on Ford's parts site. Can't find it anymore. Where could I buy one? Really would like this custom cover but would consider others.

Is there a link to buy this Mach E cover?

OP
OP
0t60-3.5

0t60-3.5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech Company Owner / CEO