Would an off lease 2021 Mach E be a good choice to get into the EV game?

thenew3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X7, BMW X3, MME Premium 4X
Country flag
I have an opportunity to pickup a 2021 Mach E Premium AWD extended range that is off lease. It was one of the earlier models with a production date of December 2020. It has around 40k miles. It won't be a CPO but has an extended warranty. Looking at Ford's site, most CPO 2021 premium are running 40-50k. This one I can get for a tad over $30k. Would this be a good choice for a first EV? Are there anything I should look out for?
Thanks!
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Has the HVBJB been replaced after 5/24/22?

Are there any open recalls on it (windshield R&R / roof glass reseal)?

When is the last time it got an OTA update?

OP
OP

thenew3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Then you are driving a vehicle where the windshield is very likely not securely attached. The roof glass could come off while driving and hurt someone. If this was a new car, the dealership would be prohibited from selling it before performing the recalls.

If you can find a dealership that has done those recalls, you're looking at 2 - 5 days out of service.

The HVBJB may fail at any time, or may not.

OP
OP

thenew3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Then you are driving a vehicle where the windshield is very likely not securely attached. The roof glass could come off while driving and hurt someone. If this was a new car, the dealership would be prohibited from selling it before performing the recalls.

If you can find a dealership that has done those recalls, you're looking at 2 - 5 days out of service.
I would get those done at a dealer before driving it (if I end up purchasing it).

The HVBJB may fail at any time, or may not.
I would assume that would fall under the 8 year battery warranty?

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
I would definitely see if they'd be willing to do the recalls, some dealers suck really bad and mess up/scratch the interior.

Being that they didn't do the recalls, makes it seem like they probably didn't take it to the dealer to do the bulletins for software updates.

I wouldn't worry about the HVBJB, if it fails, it fails, it is covered under the 8 year battery warranty.

Can you post a picture of the center screen to see if it is on the latest update with the refreshed UI? This would hopefully also show that it isn't stuck not getting OTA updates.

I'd ask for a picture of the about software page showing when hands free BlueCruise maps epire, another indicator it is properly getting updates.

Lastly, even though the above will cover most, I'd post the VIN in this thread so you can see what updates it still needs. Which will give you an idea on what bugs it has.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...up-info-for-others.10230/page-248#post-614603

OP
OP

thenew3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Can you post a picture of the center screen to see if it is on the latest update with the refreshed UI? This would hopefully also show that it isn't stuck not getting OTA updates.
Thanks, I don't have a photo of the center screen, but the current owner did show me photo of the estimated range at 100% showing 290 miles, Which from what I read online means it has new(ish) OTA update (originally 270 miles). He also said he is in the early access program and gets all the OTA's.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks, I don't have a photo of the center screen, but the current owner did show me photo of the estimated range at 100% showing 290 miles, Which from what I read online means it has new(ish) OTA update (originally 270 miles). He also said he is in the early access program and gets all the OTA's.
Definitely post in that thread still to get confirmation, remember he's trying to sell a car...

OP
OP

thenew3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Definitely post in that thread still to get confirmation, remember he's trying to sell a car...
Just got confirmation from seller, HVBJB was replaced and 12V battery was also replaced by dealer.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just got confirmation from seller, HVBJB was replaced and 12V battery was also replaced by dealer.
Well, the 12V shouldn't need to be replaced. So, again, I'd definitely post the VIN in that thread or PM it to me and I can check. Or don't, your purchase.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
No. Just don't. You're tempting Fate, and you know how she can get.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
Recalls should be a non-issue, you can schedule with your local dealer for any that are open.

OTA doesn't seem super important. I have no idea what version of the software I'm currently on, but my car still drives.

As long as the car has been well kept, damage free (assuming you've been able to check accident records etc), no other apparent red flags, you should be fine. You're purchasing the car with remaining factory warranty so anything you do happen to uncover will be... covered.

OP
OP

thenew3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Recalls should be a non-issue, you can schedule with your local dealer for any that are open.
Yeah I'm not worried about recalls. I've owned lots of cars over the last 30+ years and have had plenty of recalls. Dealers will get those done.

OTA doesn't seem super important. I have no idea what version of the software I'm currently on, but my car still drives.
Not sure about Ford (never owned a Ford before), but in my BMW, OTA's sometimes add new features or improves usability of existing features.

As long as the car has been well kept, damage free (assuming you've been able to check accident records etc), no other apparent red flags, you should be fine. You're purchasing the car with remaining factory warranty so anything you do happen to uncover will be... covered.
I know the seller, I've know that car since he picked it up 2+ years ago so I know it's history. It had a minor accident that required replacing one of the wheels and fenders. Took 4 months for ford to get the parts, and it sat at the shop during that time, that's why the 12V battery died and had to be replaced.
It also has an extended warranty on it so it's covered till 2027.

This will be my first EV. I'm planning to keep it maybe 3 or 4 years or until the market reaches a state where new cars aren't getting over MSRP.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would get those done at a dealer before driving it (if I end up purchasing it).

I would assume that would fall under the 8 year battery warranty?
Correct.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
OTA and updates are less important in 2022+ cars but early Mach-Es didn't have BlueCruise installed. A friend basically lemon-ed his MME due to the failure of updates (never could get BC installed) and a litany of weird issues due to mismatch firmware. Technically he rejected the buyback and flipped it to the open market and thus... it's floating out there with problematic firmware.
Sponsored