Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Some context:

1. We traded in a Tesla M3 for MME GTPE and a Prius 4T for an Audi SQ5

2. We (clearly) love the MME GT PE and are planning to keep it until its last day.

3. However, we feel like we made a slight mistake getting the Audi SQ5. It’s a very low mile fully loaded refreshed version and for the most part it’s a great car. But the turbo lag / downshifts, lack of quick maneuverability, and the atrocious fuel economy (our bars are set high given that we only drove a hybrid and EV sedan for over a decade) are getting a little annoying. Love the build. Love the features. Love the sound system. Love the highway comfort when we are cruising. Hate driving it in the city.

Question:

- What would you do in our situation? Get another hybrid plug in like a Tucson / Sportage, or a hybrid like Venza / RAV4

OR

- Keep the Audi and use it sparingly. The issue here is that if we do so, it’s like we are down to one car unless we are going on long trips (90% of our drives are city) and the price of this gas car will keep depreciating wouldn’t it?

OR

- Go fully electric and buy XXX as the second SUV. The only thing here is that my spouse is very concerned going fully electric household as she feels like fires may force us to evacuate in rare circumstances and gas is the safest. I kind of agree with her but I also kind of don’t :) back to the point above - if we just keep the Audi it’s almost like we have one active car and one inactive car for zombie attacks lol

what would you do? :)
Wait for next round of improved BEVs in 2025.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
But the fact they are the leaders in EV technology is a big reason to consider them.
Define “leaders.”

Volume, quality, cutting edge technology?

Would love to see a JD power 3 year dependability study on Chinese brand vehicles and how they compare.

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
Wasnt thinking about an EV for our 2nd car but today Mass passed a used EV rebate. So that with the Federal is now $7500 off a used if you qualify. I found a bunch of Bolts for $18k, so might go get one tonight, $10.5k for a Bolt with a new battery, why not....

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Define “leaders.”

Volume, quality, cutting edge technology?

Would love to see a JD power 3 year dependability study on Chinese brand vehicles and how they compare.
Also, let’s keep in mind the only Chinese brand right now in the US that has any meaningful service footprint would be Volvo.

Something goes wrong with your car, how does it get fixed?

Vinfast and Fisker have this issue in the states. It’s a reason not to buy.

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Wasnt thinking about an EV for our 2nd car but today Mass passed a used EV rebate. So that with the Federal is now $7500 off a used if you qualify. I found a bunch of Bolts for $18k, so might go get one tonight, $10.5k for a Bolt with a new battery, why not....
Can you link?

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
Mass rebate. Just curious.
https://mor-ev.org/cars-app#used

A 2018 Bolt with a new battery for $10.5k just seems too good to pass up. It will be our 2nd car with limited use. But now when leaving a car at the airport, or things like that we let the Bolt get dinged up, not the MME. I am not seeing a downside?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Also, let’s keep in mind the only Chinese brand right now in the US that has any meaningful service footprint would be Volvo.

Was thinking more about the Chinese owned, Chinese designed and chinese built cars…….. are they any good?

SolarAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Occupation
Writer
Country flag

Yes, Volvo is currently the only Chinese car we can get.

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Was thinking more about the Chinese owned, Chinese designed and chinese built cars…….. are they any good?
Reports are that they have come a very long way in the past few years. You would be surprised.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Reports are that they have come a very long way in the past few years. You would be surprised.
I would be surprised if any of the reports came from a true 3rd party not influenced by the Chinese government.

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I would be surprised if any of the reports came from a true 3rd party not influenced by the Chinese government.
Hey, I wouldn’t buy one, but it looks like they are making progress.

thekat03

First Name
Kat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E CR-1, 2022 Volvo C40
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
I think the Nio cars look promising, from what I've seen of them on TeslaBjorn's YouTube videos. As he is in Norway, and generally prefers/recommends Tesla, I think he is unlikely to be influenced by the Chinese government.
Sponsored