What Would You Do If Stuck?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Of course a school bus route normally passes through neighborhoods, so in an emergency kids could shelter in a home or business. Not the same as the side of a highway.
Sponsored

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Of course a school bus route normally passes through neighborhoods, so in an emergency kids could shelter in a home or business. Not the same as the side of a highway.
I agree, it was just an illustration of the mindset.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Everything (pumps, diverter, blower, etc) is 12V, except for the heating element itself, which is high voltage. This is common (heating element running on hv) in EVs, PHEVs and BEVs.
Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 7.35.32 PM.png
Wow! The cabin heating system is a lot more sophisticated than I ever would have suspected. It sounds more analogous to a traditional automotive heating system than it does to a resistive electric home heating system. I wonder what design decisions drove this level of complexity?

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Here's an actual experience. 6 hours, interior temp of 67 degrees F, exterior temp 29-34 F, ~10% reduction in charge.

kevC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD Preimum Carbon Gray
Country flag
I wonder if the dude who thought his car would charge above 100% to hit the standard range estimate also thinks he can keep the car on forever if he's stuck since he's not moving any miles.

ohmslaw

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander, Toyota Rav-4, Mach-e (on order)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Wow! The cabin heating system is a lot more sophisticated than I ever would have suspected. It sounds more analogous to a traditional automotive heating system than it does to a resistive electric home heating system. I wonder what design decisions drove this level of complexity?
Part re-use to save cost, known reliable designs etc. No more complex than an ICE system except rather than coolant passing through a block it passes through a HVDC heater.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
So does the heater actually draw 7 kW? Didn't see actual confirmation, but that would be over 20,000 BTU/hr. Some very simplified math means that is more then needed to heat a non insulated 2 car garage..

But as far as what I'd do, I'd cry, who wants to be stuck in a car for that long... I'd be warm, but it would still be awful...

Rookie

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Prem RWD ER Iced Blue Silver Metallic
Country flag
Cell phones. Keeping them fully charged would be my priority. Besides communication, keeping updated with local news outlets-they can pinpoint your location. In a medical emergency - that would be very important.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Another thought would be to lower your temperature differential (as several people already mentioned).

While it might be nice to sit nice and toasty at 70F in your shorts and slippers, the lower you maintain cabin temperature, the less heat transfer.

So if you are comfortable at 60F with your jacket, do that. Maybe even 50F or 45F and wear a jacket.

Kinda the opposite with an gas vehicle, not that the laws of thermodynamics change, but with a gas vehicle if you set the temperature low and idled the car, you'd end up dumping the "extra" heat outside and not save anything. Or you could start and stop the engine to modulate heating which has it's own problems.

Eagertrader

First Name
Norberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e GT
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Took my first "long" trip of two hours for 104 miles total. The system said I used 112 miles of range. I suspect the 8 additional miles were for the heater/seat and steering wheel warmers. That being said I inferred that it takes the equivalent of 4 miles per hour to keep toasty, even in idle. Thus, 96 miles of remaining range should be enough to keep you warm for 24 hours, right?

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
Another thought would be to lower your temperature differential (as several people already mentioned).

While it might be nice to sit nice and toasty at 70F in your shorts and slippers, the lower you maintain cabin temperature, the less heat transfer.

So if you are comfortable at 60F with your jacket, do that. Maybe even 50F or 45F and wear a jacket.

Kinda the opposite with an gas vehicle, not that the laws of thermodynamics change, but with a gas vehicle if you set the temperature low and idled the car, you'd end up dumping the "extra" heat outside and not save anything. Or you could start and stop the engine to modulate heating which has it's own problems.
Don't give in to the Big Jacket™️ industry! Those people will have you believe that you don't need heat and next thing you know, everyone will be covered up in warm clothing! We have our rights to dress inappropriately!

/s, of course

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Interactive Design Director
Country flag

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Given most EV owners charge at home, and are likely to be at a high SOC, the picture looks good for EVs vs ICE vehicles in a 24 hour wintertime traffic jam:
https://www.vice.com/en/article/epx...ture-collapse-gas-or-electric?utm_source=digg
Good point, although you never know where on your trip you might get stuck, so you might start with 90% and get stuck near the end of your trip with much less.

But I do think MOST EV drivers will be in as good or better shape... Unless you drive a model why...

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...ing-heating-issues-with-their-evs-178775.html