Would you fix your own Mach-E

How many of you would attempt to work on your MME?

• Total voters

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I thought it was a settled fact that there are super capacitors in the doors for this very reason?
It was presented that way last year, and never mentioned again.

I'm having doubts now. Ford's released videos, a user manual, and a quick start manual (abbreviated user manual) describing the MME e-latch system. All of them say that if the 12V battery dies, we need to use the front fender access to open the hood to jump the battery to open the door.
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
It was presented that way last year, and never mentioned again.

I'm having doubts now. Ford's released videos, a user manual, and a quick start manual (abbreviated user manual) describing the MME e-latch system. All of them say that if the 12V battery dies, we need to use the front fender access to open the hood to jump the battery to open the door.
Oh, there's also the Lincoln e-latch how to video which DOES describe a super capacitor power backup. So I feel like the exclusion of this mention on the Mustang video is probably telling us that it isn't there.

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag
For me, it really depends. I do some major car work myself, but an electrical power train is a different animal. One wrong touch and you could be killed.
I'll get there, but I'll be heavily cautious and only do simple jobs like brakes for a long while. If it even needs them... Which it might not, lol.
That last part's the rub. Probably won't need brakes very often because of regen. Probably will almost never need headlights/taillights because they're LEDs. Certainly won't need oil changes. The battery and motor coolant fluid changes are scheduled for like 150k-200k miles per the owner's manual.

Other than wipers, tires, and washer fluid, I'm not sure what maintenance this car's going to need. Short of actual accident damage, I don't think this car will require much attention.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Oh, there's also the Lincoln e-latch how to video which DOES describe a super capacitor power backup. So I feel like the exclusion of this mention on the Mustang video is probably telling us that it isn't there.
Someone should make them pull the battery on the Tour and see what happens. ?

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
Like others said, not much things that will need to be repaired, fixed, changed on an EV.

But the usual wipers, rotating tires, doing the Summer to Winter tire swaps, etc...

One thing I wonder, brakes on the MME (and other EVs) are they hydraulic or electric (like on trailors)???

theblueone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Audi e-tron
Country flag
That last part's the rub. Probably won't need brakes very often because of regen. Probably will almost never need headlights/taillights because they're LEDs. Certainly won't need oil changes. The battery and motor coolant fluid changes are scheduled for like 150k-200k miles per the owner's manual.

Other than wipers, tires, and washer fluid, I'm not sure what maintenance this car's going to need. Short of actual accident damage, I don't think this car will require much attention.
This is pretty much my take on it. I'm not going to touch the drivetrain because I have a healthy respect for anything with that many amps running through it. Based on the parts and the listed maintenance cycle, almost everything that's left is tool-free work.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Tire rotations are needed more frequently on BEVs. I may consider upgrading my jack stand system and start doing my own if Ford doesn't cover them. However, we usually have bought tires from Costco and they do free rotations. I was about to have to do the Leaf when I got a free rotation offer from Nissan. Good thing as they found a leaky boot and we got a brand new left-front axle assembly.

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
Tire rotations are needed more frequently on BEVs. I may consider upgrading my jack stand system and start doing my own if Ford doesn't cover them. However, we usually have bought tires from Costco and they do free rotations. I was about to have to do the Leaf when I got a free rotation offer from Nissan. Good thing as they found a leaky boot and we got a brand new left-front axle assembly.
Free tire rotations at Costco, that's nice. But then again, I do all my own winter/summer swaps and rotations at home with my floor jack. On the Civic it's a 20min job, takes more like 40minutes on the F150 because of the weight of the wheels and the torque at which the nuts have to be (and to get them undone!!). And that includes a quick visual inspection as well as anti-seize compound on the wheels hubs. I just save the trouble of having to bring it somewhere and sometimes wait for the job to get finished!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Free tire rotations at Costco, that's nice. But then again, I do all my own winter/summer swaps and rotations at home with my floor jack. On the Civic it's a 20min job, takes more like 40minutes on the F150 because of the weight of the wheels and the torque at which the nuts have to be (and to get them undone!!). And that includes a quick visual inspection as well as anti-seize compound on the wheels hubs. I just save the trouble of having to bring it somewhere and sometimes wait for the job to get finished!
I used to do my own winter/summer swaps on our Outback when we lived in CO.

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
Why do you say they are more frequent on an EV....

On an ICE we usually look at 6 to 8k miles...what's the recommended schedule on an EV?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
What do you guys think about companies blocking all repairs and even blocking aftermarket or jobber parts?
That is yet one of the multiple of reasons why I won't buy a Tesla.

While under warranty, the dealer will have to fix everything.
After it's out of warranty, I want to be able to take it completely apart if I wish.

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
That is yet one of the multiple of reasons why I won't buy a Tesla.

While under warranty, the dealer will have to fix everything.
After it's out of warranty, I want to be able to take it completely apart if I wish.
I was watching a Quebec car review show not too long ago. They had an interview with a guy who basically only deals with Tesla body work and "repairs". He started out by doing rust protection on cars, then Teslas only and now, well he does body work.

You know the pealing paint thing, the rusting body panels, the things misassembled on them, the ton of road crap and sand/stone that collect in the underbody protection panels, etc...

Anyhow, the guy said he is booked for months in advance, Tesla is a gold mine for him!

Yet people continue buying Model 3s and now Ys!!!

uncle_0gre

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 Mach 1 428 CJ
Country flag

This is my thinking as well.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
The battery and motor coolant fluid changes are scheduled for like 150k-200k miles per the owner's manual.
Where did you see about battery replacement? I've had to replace my 12V battery every 3 years, like clockwork.
Sponsored