Yeah, that's a good price...

How much to put a 14-50 outlet next to an existing workbox?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Next week we're having a whole house generator put in, because our power company has too many outages. So, for a full day, we will have a crew installing the generator, gas pipe the length of the house, redoing the fuse box (neutrals and grounds), etc.

We have a hardwired JuiceBox 48 in the garage. Wire comes in from the basement through the wall into a workbox where it is connected to the charger.

After agreeing to a price, I innocently asked how much it would be to put a 14-50 outlet either on the workbox, or next to it. I mentioned that I have 2 feet of the proper wire left over from the prior job if that matters. So they need to provide outlet, box, plate, and inches/a foot of conduit, plus the wire connectors for 2 hot, 1 neutral, and a ground (existing connectors are for two wires). I said if it mattered I could pick up the supplies. No breakers, no running wires except from workbox to outlet box.

No permit needed.

Today they told me the cost. Let's assume they are going to use an expensive outlet.

$300
Sponsored

Last edited:

shereth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Focus ST, 2022 MME GT (ordered)
Country flag
Personally I'd not want to pay over $200 but that's because I'm willing to do the work myself.

Problem with this kind of question is that it depends a lot on all kinds of factors like where you live, if your existing panel has the capacity, if they're going to have to pull permits, and so on. What could be a $50 DIY project for someone not afraid to mess with the breaker box could easily turn into a $800+ expense for someone hiring a professional in an expensive market.

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Personally I'd not want to pay over $200 but that's because I'm willing to do the work myself.

Problem with this kind of question is that it depends a lot on all kinds of factors like where you live, if your existing panel has the capacity, if they're going to have to pull permits, and so on. What could be a $50 DIY project for someone not afraid to mess with the breaker box could easily turn into a $800+ expense for someone hiring a professional in an expensive market.
No breaker box, no wiring, no inspection. Simply put an outlet on or next to the existing workbox for the ability to use the Ford Mobile Charger IF the hardwired charger died. No issue with panel capacity, nothing. Clearly stated would not be using it with the existing charger in operation, only for emergencies.

SV8T

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler 4xE HA/Range Rover Sport SVR/Audi A7
Occupation
Legal
Country flag
Think you need to add the No Permit part at the top. Agree - $150 to $200 should be a fair price.

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
A big part of any contractor coming out is simply their rate for coming on site. So you will find many will have something like a $100-200 minimum for someone to come out. So if you ask them to come out and replace a wall outlet in your house, it's a $10 job that may cost you $100 if they have that minimum.

Since they are already coming out to work, I feel that takes that minimum off the table, so much over $200 or $250 is surprising. You may pay a level to have an insured electrician, since something can still go wrong here. So if they are insured, that may just be worked into any price they give.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Country flag
If you're going to use a true industrial NEMA 14-50 outlet, that alone would be around $100. Code requires an outlet to be on a GFCI breaker. That is over $100 no matter the brand. Factor in time and the other supplies, and I don't see a problem with the quote.

EDIT: I think I read your OP wrong. Are you saying you want to add a NEMA 14-50 outlet to the feed from your hardwired charger running 48A?

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you're going to use a true industrial NEMA 14-50 outlet, that alone would be around $100. Code requires an outlet to be on a GFCI breaker. That is over $100 no matter the brand. Factor in time and the other supplies, and I don't see a problem with the quote.

EDIT: I think I read your OP wrong. Are you saying you want to add a NEMA 14-50 outlet to the feed from your hardwired charger running 48A?
Yes.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Where you live (labor rates), amount of wire to be pulled, copper vs aluminum, breaker, box etc ... not gonna happen for 300 in California that's for damn sure.

I just had 10' of Romex ran to a new fan box and it was $640.37.

Sam2084

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 CR-V, E4X Ordered
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I’m surprised they agreed to do that at all. Sounds like it would be against code.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
It will cost me less than $100 but that option was not posted. I have the materials, experience, and licensing to do it myself. BTW, my home is made with reinforced concrete, and I finished installing a 6 kW 240 VAC battery system by myself (panels, inverters, and 12 kWh of LFP batteries) on my second floor, just three feet away from my bedroom door. It was first used this week when T.S. Earl passed a few miles north.

I installed a 15 kW Juice Box EVSE IN 2014 and initially set it for 7.2 kW before GM announced the Chevy Bolt EV which does charge at 7.2 kW. This only cost me less than $300.

Last edited:

Cm12

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag

Yep, $750 in Beaverton, Oregon WITHOUT the permit (another $91 I think). Quoted $1,400 to run it the way I wanted which wasn’t even that complicated but was about 35 feet. Already had a 200 amp panel and room in the box. Yeah, I decided to do it myself after that. Spent maybe 15 hours researching and learned that it wasn’t nearly as complicated as I thought. Prices in the Portland metro area are crazy.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Premium ER Mach E, '21 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I managed to guess right but only because I figure $200 labor is MINIMUM and a Hubbel/Bryant/Eaton with faceplate is $100 like Pioneer said, plus incremental cost of a junction, conduit, etc.

FYI if anyone in Sacramento needs an electrician for EVSE or outlet install my dude was AMAZING and was also lowest price of 4 quotes obtained. I had the most confidence in his knowledge and skills of all the estimators as well. Overall 30' of conduit, 6awg, Hubbel outlet, 50A GE breaker, plus permit for $1250. Insane given the other 3 quotes were $1800, $2000 and $4000.

bncwhite

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GB MME GT
Occupation
Grooper Senior Tech
Country flag
Oklahoma City here. $375 for the ChargePoint hardwired next to the breaker panel. IIRC, he said it was the same price whether I chose hardwire or 14-50.
Sponsored