11fourteen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GT
Occupation
IT
Country flag
In order to get the tax credit, do you have to actually take delivery in 2022? Or can I pay in 2022 and take delivery in 2023 and still have it count?
The official IRS guideline for 2022 is that the car must be "placed into service" before the new year. Hard to quantify exactly what that means but I would assume if the sale is completed, the vehicle is received by the dealer, and you're just waiting to pick it up, should be okay? Not a lawyer, not tax advice, do your own research, etc. but that's just my interpretation.
Sponsored

gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GTPE (Declined Delivery); 2023 BMW iX M60
Country flag
A few hours ago I LEGALLY bought the car at my dealer. All paperwork done, paid in full, including bill of sale and title application. Insured it. It’s my (wife’s) car. We just won’t get to drive it until it shows up at the dealer.

Nothing shady. I legally own it as of today.
Uh...two points. 1) I wouldn't have published this statement on a public forum. 2) I would Google the following tax case: Podraza, Troy S., et ux. v. Comm.

Best of luck.

SFT-NY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E (ordered)
Country flag
This is from the IRS and includes the definition of placed in service as taking possession.

“Importantly, the notice specifies that a vehicle is considered to be “placed in service” for the purposes of the tax credit on the date the taxpayer takes possession of the vehicle, which may or may not be the same date as the purchase date.”

https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/jy1179

gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is from the IRS and includes the definition of placed in service as taking possession.

“Importantly, the notice specifies that a vehicle is considered to be “placed in service” for the purposes of the tax credit on the date the taxpayer takes possession of the vehicle, which may or may not be the same date as the purchase date.”

https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/jy1179
Yep

gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Public Service Announcement: If you don't take delivery of your MME by midnight tonight (12.31.22), don't file for the Federal tax credit on your 2022 taxes. Talk to people that have filed it in the past, the Service has and will continue to verify a certain number of these filings. You do not want to put yourself in a situation where you need to explain, under penalty of perjury, that you did not understand what "placed in service" meant under Section 30D. Especially if there is a digital record to the contrary. The best case is paying a penalty and interest, but the possible outcomes go quickly south after that.

Wum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
My GTPE did not arrive on time, though I was within the ETA window and was holding out hope that it would be one of the 40 or so mach e's delivered to WC and MH. I ended up going with a consolation prize - a space white premium standard model. The move saved me about $25K, which in retrospect is a chunk of change. So, I'm happy about that! Not so happy with ford's handling of the order process. It honestly left a bad taste in my mouth. Although I wasn't able to vote with my feet, like others have, as I needed a car and the $7500 tax credit is compelling, I will not be buying another Ford car after this experience. Instead, I'll invest the $25K i saved into tesla stock - i think they are poised to be even more dominant now that the mach e is classified as a car, and hopefully my investment will turn into the down-payment for a tesla roadster. Happy new year everyone!

STL-Mach-E

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Escape PHEV, 2023 MME GTPE
Country flag
In case you hear a moaning sound from the front end, the spacers put in the springs for shipping may not have been removed during delivery preparation. They are bright red.
Ford Mustang Mach-E 11/14/22 Build Week Gang 552D61A1-E8EF-4360-810D-0A9669924398
I experienced the same thing. I think sales person prepped mine to speed the delivery.

CalRt1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e California Route 1 2023
Country flag

BuckBaker

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GT Cyber Orange, '86 Bronco, '83 280zx
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
Annnnnd rock chips. First road trip, following a car at max distance adaptive cruise. That car was following a semi over some degraded asphalt and it started slinging rocks everywhere. I ended up with 2 chips before I could get out of the debris field. Probably got hit with 30-40 pebbles so there may be more that I haven't found
Sponsored