Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
In a lot of cases I don't think there's a drain issue rather just not using the vehicle enough to keep the LVB charged.
Cars and especially EVs were not designed for people who don't drive. That's a joke but it's true.
For me it's as simple as turning the car on and turning the power off timer off when my monitor indicates a low battery. Since I've been doing this I haven't had any problems.
If Ford would help by including an LVB monitor the problem would be solved.
For the part about cars werenā€™t designed for people that donā€™t drive, youā€™re right tell that to my three neighbors that keep their new Corvette in the driveway or the garage without driving it maybe once and when they do it, smokes and leaks.
Thereā€™s a solution where would you put it? All it does is hook up to the battery.

IMG_8132.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP

JJR

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium
Occupation
Artist
Country flag
How long does the car need to sit before you get a 12V battery fault message? FYI I can park my car for a whole week without driving it and I don't get any error messages, everything fires up just fine.

You might want to send me your VIN so I can check if your battery is going bad.
In my situation the car sits for weeks at a time and when I do drive it I only use about 2% to 4% of the HVB. That's not enough "on time" to maintain the LVB.
When I plug in the charger it doesn't stay active long enough to maintain the LVB.
The battery monitor indicates 13.6v and charging when the vehicle is on and it has shown a steady 12.7v when off.

OP
OP

JJR

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium
Occupation
Artist
Country flag
In my situation the car sits for weeks at a time and when I do drive it I only use about 2% to 4% of the HVB. That's not enough "on time" to maintain the LVB.
When I plug in the charger it doesn't stay active long enough to maintain the LVB.
The battery monitor indicates 13.6v and charging when the vehicle is on and it has shown a steady 12.7v when off.
Ford Mustang Mach-E 12v battery fault IMG_1531

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
That's too technical/too much work for a lot of people.

Most people do not need a battery tender unless the vehicle will be sitting for weeks or longer.

If you get 12V drain messages, then you need to find and fix the drain issue rather than trying to put it on a charger. Fix the root cause, not the symptoms.
yeah I get that, but OP says he only drives 800 miles a year or so. That's an ideal candidate. when I had multiple motorcycles all were hooked up to battery tenders.

First Name
Rudi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black Mustang e RWD 98kw 2023
Country flag
Since I drive my MME very little, like 800 miles per year, I have adjusted my behavior to accommodate the needs of the machine.
I now keep the MME turned on in the garage to keep the LVB charged. I turn it off at night to receive any OTAs.
I have also installed an Ansel BM300 battery monitor that connects to my phone and gives me the LVB SOC.
With the monitor installed there's no guessing if or when the LVB needs charging.
That wasn't much in a whole yearšŸ˜…
Nice idea with monitoring of lvb.
I use the Ford website to see the percentage rate of the lvb or my OBD reader.

Can see Ford has a few recommendations here:
https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...re-my-electric-vehicle-for-long-term-storage/

https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...e-my-electric-vehicle-for-short-term-storage/

First Name
Rudi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Or maybe use a level 1 charger for the hvb, so it has enough time to charge the lvb.

OP
OP

JJR

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium
Occupation
Artist
Country flag
Or maybe use a level 1 charger for the hvb, so it has enough time to charge the lvb.
Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty happy with my solution.
When necessary, get in the car, turn the car on, turn the power off timer off, get out of the car.
Turn the car off after 12 hours and repeat the next day if necessary.

OP
OP

JJR

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium
Occupation
Artist
Country flag

https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...re-my-electric-vehicle-for-long-term-storage/

https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...e-my-electric-vehicle-for-short-term-storage/
I know I'm asking the wrong person but....
If the LVB SOC is available on Ford.com,
Why isn't it available on the FordPass app?
Just asking. šŸ˜‚

First Name
Rudi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I know I'm asking the wrong person but....
If the LVB SOC is available on Ford.com,
Why isn't it available on the FordPass app?
Just asking. šŸ˜‚
Because they don't do what we customers wantšŸ˜…
It is a huge wish among many, incl. myself.

But I read here on the forum that they are working on it in a major update to Fordpass - but I wouldn't set my expectations too high herešŸ˜…

OP
OP

JJR

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium
Occupation
Artist
Country flag
Because they don't do what we customers wantšŸ˜…
It is a huge wish among many, incl. myself.

But I read here on the forum that they are working on it in a major update to Fordpass - but I wouldn't set my expectations too high herešŸ˜…
The good news is that the battery monitor was less than $35 and I got to tear apart my MME.
Ford Mustang Mach-E 12v battery fault IMG_1520

grein002

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GTPE, Red w/Gray interior
Country flag
I have a short commute, so I noticed my LVB was not as charged as I would like. I use level 2 charger (Chargepoint), so I just adjusted the amperage lower, so that it charges longer each time I charge. This has made a noticeable difference in LVB state of charge.

Homestead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach-E, F-350
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I have a short commute, so I noticed my LVB was not as charged as I would like. I use level 2 charger (Chargepoint), so I just adjusted the amperage lower, so that it charges longer each time I charge. This has made a noticeable difference in LVB state of charge.
Not a bad idea! I have been using Level 2 daily and Level 1 charger on the weekend as my time of use electricity is off peak all weekend.

OP
OP

JJR

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium
Occupation
Artist
Country flag

Since the battery monitor was installed the battery voltage has been tracked .
Over the past three days of being parked the battery voltage has steadily dropped by 0.067v per 24hrs from 12.84v on 5/26 to 12.64v on 5/28.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I see this a lot since I don't drive much. However the MME has been plugged in for the last three days and the battery fault message showed up immediately after opening the door.
Is this really a fault or did the message queue fail to clear while the car was plugged in?
Hello! Send us a private message with your VIN and current mileage. Allow me to see what I can do to assist. Thanks!
Sponsored