Metal_Horses

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, 2022 Bronco 2D SAS, 1985.5 Mustang SVO
Country flag
that is how I used it at the drive-in, just on in P.....
I'm sure it would work but don't need to run stuff like the power steering pump and other drive functions for 3+ hours.

Even in my Sync 3 cars it's a pain. Every 30 minutes it shuts off and you have to cycle it on again and the lights come on. Used a towel to cover up all the bright dash stuff.
Sponsored

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I'm sure it would work but don't need to run stuff like the power steering pump and other drive functions for 3+ hours.

Even in my Sync 3 cars it's a pain. Every 30 minutes it shuts off and you have to cycle it on again and the lights come on. Used a towel to cover up all the bright dash stuff.
There is no power steering pump. It's electrical.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
In my case, I need to use the center 12v outlet for my dash camera, so I bought a similar item that has a 12v pass-through and multiple USB-A ports, including a QC3.0 port.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YS7WMQR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I just tried in in our Leaf (since Marlin is still in the hospital ? ). A nice feature is it flashes when the voltage is low. The Leaf battery showed 11.2v before I turned it on -- we'll have to watch the battery performance.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 12V battery usage (volts) for various functions & situations in Mach-E IMG_6729

Ford Mustang Mach-E 12V battery usage (volts) for various functions & situations in Mach-E IMG_6727

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Since I have one of those cigarette lighter meters (Amazon); I figured I would take some measurements of the LVB battery in various car states:

• After charging complete: Off
Appears my mistake was to think it was maintaining the 12 V (charging it) when it is plugged into an L2 but not charging the pack. Page 149 of the manual say the pack charges the 12V when not plugged in. My mistake was to think it would do that also when plugged in. The dash monitor tells you it is cold outside make sure it is plugged such that it will not maintain/charge your 12V? Its all my fault for misunderstand when the darn thing charges the 12V. Need to be spelt out a bit clear in the manual I believe. To me it should maintain the 12V when plugged in and not charging. If not just unplug it in -30C and see how it does the 12V should be good per manual then. We will see what Ford officially tells us.

OP
OP
JamieGeek

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Appears my mistake was to think it was maintaining the 12 V (charging it) when it is plugged into an L2 but not charging the pack. Page 149 of the manual say the pack charges the 12V when not plugged in. My mistake was to think it would do that also when plugged in. The dash monitor tells you it is cold outside make sure it is plugged such that it will not maintain/charge your 12V? Its all my fault for misunderstand when the darn thing charges the 12V. Need to be spelt out a bit clear in the manual I believe. To me it should maintain the 12V when plugged in and not charging. If not just unplug it in -30C and see how it does the 12V should be good per manual then. We will see what Ford officially tells us.
Well remember: It can be charging the 12V battery even if the cig socket is off.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well remember: It can be charging the 12V battery even if the cig socket is off.
Measure voltage across the battery thermals? It can but from my experience is it does not. I can tell you I was plugged in after each trip, ensure it was not tripped and it died. It tripped late the day it died the second time, went out in the dark and reconnected (remove the 4 red charger lights). In the morning again and said forget it a flat bed is coming (most likely as the 12V died it tripped). Not working to maintain itself plugged in, charged up to 100% each time and that was about it. Something drained it, it died and it was plugged in or running down a road.

Off on remote start may have to go out and start it to charge the 12V of this luxury vehicle? Have to unplug it first maybe? Do you have the start up plugged in result? Across the terminal on remote start would be wonderful ;). I am asking my dealer for this information now too many combination I just need one I can live with at this stage.

OP
OP
JamieGeek

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
Measure voltage across the battery thermals? It can but from my experience is it does not. I can tell you I was plugged in after each trip, ensure it was not tripped and it died. It tripped late the day it died the second time, went out in the dark and reconnected (remove the 4 red charger lights). In the morning again and said forget it a flat bed is coming (most likely as the 12V died it tripped). Not working to maintain itself plugged in, charged up to 100% each time and that was about it. Something drained it, it died and it was plugged in or running down a road.

Off on remote start may have to go out and start it to charge the 12V of this luxury vehicle? Have to unplug it first maybe? Do you have the start up plugged in result? Across the terminal on remote start would be wonderful ;). I am asking my dealer for this information now too many combination I just need one I can live with at this stage.
I was just pointing out that what I was measuring is the voltage at the cigarette lighter socket. It is possible that it is independent of the DC-DC converter and thus can be charging the 12V battery even when the car has shut off the cigarette lighter socket.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I was just pointing out that what I was measuring is the voltage at the cigarette lighter socket. It is possible that it is independent of the DC-DC converter and thus can be charging the 12V battery even when the car has shut off the cigarette lighter socket.
Understand my friend. Just kind of confused that when it is plugged in why it does not maintain itself (watched it twice). Makes no sense either a flaw or something else is going on. I am truly hoping a updated software solves my problem. If it charges the 12V when not plugged in (manual) you would think it should be able to when plugged in. Plug in it is cold but not too long or your 12 v will die? Having problems with that logic.

OP
OP
JamieGeek

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
Understand my friend. Just kind of confused that when it is plugged in why it does not maintain itself (watched it twice). Makes no sense either a flaw or something else is going on. I am truly hoping a updated software solves my problem. If it charges the 12V when not plugged in (manual) you would think it should be able to when plugged in. Plug in it is cold but not too long or your 12 v will die? Having problems with that logic.
From what I've been hearing it isn't necessarily a charging thing but a current draw thing (like something isn't properly shutting down when it should).

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
From what I've been hearing it isn't necessarily a charging thing but a current draw thing (like something isn't properly shutting down when it should).
My dealer is bouncing ideas it was my fault and I am getting it back tomorrow (maybe). Need a workaround for the time being. Unplugging it a couple of hours a day? Plugging it back in for nights. What do you think and what would you suggest? Need to drive it each day?

OP
OP
JamieGeek

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
My dealer is bouncing ideas it was my fault and I am getting it back tomorrow (maybe). Need a workaround for the time being. Unplugging it a couple of hours a day? Plugging it back in for nights. What do you think and what would you suggest? Need to drive it each day?
I don't know. I've been leaving mine plugged in whenever its home (its set to charge overnight to 90% so it doesn't sit there charging).

I'll do that until it gets warmer out; then I'll likely charge to 100% and leave it unplugged until the charge gets below 40%-50% then charge to 100% again.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't know. I've been leaving mine plugged in whenever its home (its set to charge overnight to 90% so it doesn't sit there charging).

I'll do that until it gets warmer out; then I'll likely charge to 100% and leave it unplugged until the charge gets below 40%-50% then charge to 100% again.
So you are driving it every day that helps I think. Finally got the the stage I no longer need to commute and I have a vehicle that does not like to sit still.

OP
OP
JamieGeek

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
So you are driving it every day that helps I think. Finally got the the stage I no longer need to commute and I have a vehicle that does not like to sit still.
Not really driving it every day because I have to.

I'm driving it as much as I am because I want to LOL.
Sponsored