Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Since there's no engine running, couldn't you just leave the car in full "Ready" mode at the drive-in?
I'm not sure about the MME, but my 2015 mustang coupe would leave the running lights on in accessory mode, so I assume the MME would be the same. That was a good way to get in a fight with other moviegoers, so we used to bring a portable radio and just turn the car off.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JamieGeek

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
? got it but it still happening. I don't have to but may be forced to. Most the commuting is done on snowshoes now a days.
My car has sat for over 24 hours (even 48 at one or two points in time) but its in a garage and plugged in.

My garage is slightly above freezing and I have noticed the car warming the battery on several occasions (can hear the pumps and the JuiceBox its plugged into indicates its contactors are closed and its providing power).

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My car has sat for over 24 hours (even 48 at one or two points in time) but its in a garage and plugged in.

My garage is slightly above freezing and I have noticed the car warming the battery on several occasions (can hear the pumps and the JuiceBox its plugged into indicates its contactors are closed and its providing power).
I hear nothing when plugged in not charging but then do not stand beside it. We have opened the window beside it (vapers) but nothing. Can't say yes or no for sure. Just now 3rd time is the charm and looking not to kill the battery again and someone to give me a procedure to make that happen.

What date was yours built? Did it get snagged to the speedway? Mine nov.26 production date and did not go to speedway. They service call mine and install some software? Should not be this difficult.

OP
OP
JamieGeek

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I hear nothing when plugged in not charging but then do not stand beside it. We have opened the window beside it (vapers) but nothing. Can't say yes or no for sure. Just now 3rd time is the charm and looking not to kill the battery again and someone to give me a procedure to make that happen.

What date was yours built? Did it get snagged to the speedway? Mine nov.26 production date and did not go to speedway. They service call mine and install some software? Should not be this difficult.
Mine was built 12/17 and sat at the plant during the stop ship (I'm guessing they updated all the code on it prior to shipping because I've noticed my Sync version is the newer version of the versions that have been posted around here).

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Email received. James your info is pretty good. Deep sleep 12V phantom killer after charged. Nothing on OFF but your info is probably good same thing as done charging. It says it maintains when pre-heating that is the only saving grace I see.

KOEO below. Key On Engine Off? ;) Need different terminology for EV's

........ Here is some info from ford on some of your questions.

The 12v system is used to power the vehicles modules and all the vehicle accessories/components (ignition/push button switch, IPC, HVAC, power windows, lights, radio, etc.). The HV system powers the powertrain. The HV system powers the DC/DC, the DC/DC charges the 12v battery (basically the DC/DC performs the task an alternator would perform on a conventional vehicle).

The 12v battery is charged whenever the vehicle is turned on (ready to drive shown), there should be normal 12v battery charging (similar to what you would expect from a conventional vehicle if checking the charging voltage across the 12v battery while the vehicle was running). If the vehicle is only turned to KOEO, there will be no charging of the 12v battery, the vehicle has to be running (ignition on/ready to drive shown).

When the vehicle is connected to the EVSE AND the vehicle is actually being charged, the 12v battery will be maintained/charged as needed (preventing the 12v battery being drained from having the different modules online to charge the HV battery). It will maintain the 12v battery at 12v, if it falls below, the system will charge the 12v battery. When the plug-in charging is completed the modules should go to sleep/rest and the 12v battery will no longer be maintained/charged.

During the cabin pre-conditioning, the 12v battery will be maintained/charged as needed.

Why does the dash screen tell you to plug in its cold? Obvious it is going to charge every time you come back and plug in when it is cold. Then after charged it goes into a deep sleep in the freezing cold and with possible phantom drains kills the 12V if it sits too long or the drain is large. Sounds like there is not a lot of conditioning going on when you plug in in the freezing cold after it has charged. Makes absolutely no sense to tell you to plug it in its cold and then do absolutely nothing after a short charge but to go into a deep sleep.

You note Off is also off so we are down to a schedule to pre-condition when it sits around. That was my only dealer question do we need to start it when just sitting in the driveway. I was told do not worry about it we got you cover ....... ya I see that now. What do you think of that engineering logic. Not smart enough to charge it's 12V if plugged in or off with a full battery. No condition in the cold. Do you think a schedule in the firmware to come on and charge the 12V battery is possible? When it wakes up the variable temp can be read to schedule the next wake up? Looks like a manual thing that the user is required to do at this stage (possibly forever)?

I guess 15 min pre-heat is good to thaw out the batteries from a deep sleep when -20F and keep everything maintained? How many times a day should it be fired up at different temperatures (rule of thumb)? Guess we need to start estimating phantom drains and how many times we unlock the doors to get something in the new MME now.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Email received. James your info is pretty good. Deep sleep 12V phantom killer after charged. Nothing on OFF but your info is probably good same thing as done charging. It says it maintains when pre-heating that is the only saving grace I see.

KOEO below. Key On Engine Off? ;) Need different terminology for EV's

........ Here is some info from ford on some of your questions.

The 12v system is used to power the vehicles modules and all the vehicle accessories/components (ignition/push button switch, IPC, HVAC, power windows, lights, radio, etc.). The HV system powers the powertrain. The HV system powers the DC/DC, the DC/DC charges the 12v battery (basically the DC/DC performs the task an alternator would perform on a conventional vehicle).

The 12v battery is charged whenever the vehicle is turned on (ready to drive shown), there should be normal 12v battery charging (similar to what you would expect from a conventional vehicle if checking the charging voltage across the 12v battery while the vehicle was running). If the vehicle is only turned to KOEO, there will be no charging of the 12v battery, the vehicle has to be running (ignition on/ready to drive shown).

When the vehicle is connected to the EVSE AND the vehicle is actually being charged, the 12v battery will be maintained/charged as needed (preventing the 12v battery being drained from having the different modules online to charge the HV battery). It will maintain the 12v battery at 12v, if it falls below, the system will charge the 12v battery. When the plug-in charging is completed the modules should go to sleep/rest and the 12v battery will no longer be maintained/charged.

During the cabin pre-conditioning, the 12v battery will be maintained/charged as needed.

Why does the dash screen tell you to plug in its cold? Obvious it is going to charge every time you come back and plug in when it is cold. Then after charged it goes into a deep sleep in the freezing cold and with possible phantom drains kills the 12V if it sits too long or the drain is large. Sounds like there is not a lot of conditioning going on when you plug in in the freezing cold after it has charged. Makes absolutely no sense to tell you to plug it in its cold and then do absolutely nothing after a short charge but to go into a deep sleep.

You note Off is also off so we are down to a schedule to pre-condition when it sits around. That was my only dealer question do we need to start it when just sitting in the driveway. I was told do not worry about it we got you cover ....... ya I see that now. What do you think of that engineering logic. Not smart enough to charge it's 12V if plugged in or off with a full battery. No condition in the cold. Do you think a schedule in the firmware to come on and charge the 12V battery is possible? When it wakes up the variable temp can be read to schedule the next wake up? Looks like a manual thing that the user is required to do at this stage (possibly forever)?

I guess 15 min pre-heat is good to thaw out the batteries from a deep sleep when -20F and keep everything maintained? How many times a day should it be fired up at different temperatures (rule of thumb)? Guess we need to start estimating phantom drains and how many times we unlock the doors to get something in the new MME now.
Sorry if I'm wrong on the context of all this, but the bolded part about it not maintaining the 12V after charging is complete doesn't match my experience. My Mach-E has been in my garage for a week now, plugged in, set to 90%. It has requested power numerous times throughout the week, many of which I caught and noticed FordPass mention that it is charging the 12V battery.

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
Can I ask a stupid question. Why leave it plugged all the time? Unless you need a full (90% or whatever) charge for a long trip.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sorry if I'm wrong on the context of all this, but the bolded part about it not maintaining the 12V after charging is complete doesn't match my experience. My Mach-E has been in my garage for a week now, plugged in, set to 90%. It has requested power numerous times throughout the week, many of which I caught and noticed FordPass mention that it is charging the 12V battery.
That would be music to my ears. My dealer is not done with ford yet but the italics is a copy paste from what I was told is directly from Ford. Not messing with you. Hope someone is messing with me and the recall and software update fixes this one little glitch. Can you please tell me your sync build/rev number.

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
Cold give it the power it wants from the wall not the battery. Easier on the batteries charge cycles.
Thx! I prefer to not hassle plugging/unplugging until necessary. Is this really a long-term efficiency issue on an 88kwh battery? I thought they were happier draining to 10% and then filling to 80-90%. I totally get leaving it plugged in if it’s going to sit long-term (week or more?) without driving/charging.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
That would be music to my ears. My dealer is not done with ford yet but the italics is a copy paste from what I was told is directly from Ford. Not messing with you. Hope someone is messing with me and the recall and software update fixes this one little glitch. Can you please tell me your sync build/rev number.
I actually saw it charging the 12V this morning, and just to reiterate, I haven't unplugged/driven it at all in the week that's it's been in the garage, yet it seems to be doing a great job maintaining it's various systems.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 12V battery usage (volts) for various functions & situations in Mach-E IMG_0680.PNG

Here's my Sync version (same as most folks I've seen) but I'm not sure Sync version/info has anything to do with non-media oriented components. I'd believe all other components have their own software revisions outside of Sync.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 12V battery usage (volts) for various functions & situations in Mach-E IMG_0505_LI

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I actually saw it charging the 12V this morning, and just to reiterate, I haven't unplugged/driven it at all in the week that's it's been in the garage, yet it seems to be doing a great job maintaining it's various systems.

Here's my Sync version (same as most folks I've seen) but I'm not sure Sync version/info has anything to do with non-media oriented components. I'd believe all other components have their own software revisions outside of Sync.
Thanks for the help. Your story would be great but wonder why Ford says different? Exact same build/rev as mine. So you think they manage different components with various different software/firmware. How would we even know the revision numbers of all the non-media oriented components if everything is working/installed independently. I guessed the OS upgrades the non-media oriented components if required and the system works in conjugation but really not sure.

Did yours go to the speedway? Did you get the recall notice (production date)? Do you have wi-fi hooked up, Bluetooth, FordPass/phone as a key?

There is no two ways about it I was using FordPass and in and out of the vehicle in the first week learning it more often than I see myself doing for the rest of its life. Maybe I just exhausted it and when it was schedule to come on to maintain the 12V it was too late? That is not what the Ford email or the original post state but then it may go to sleep (off) but wake back up with no one around to see it? You would think Ford would explain that a bit clear. My 12V died twice while plugged in. Went into a deep sleep and never woke up. It was cold -19F which I am sure did not help.

Guess all I need is Ford to tell me what you did and all is good. That is not the case at this point.