2021 GT/GTPE MMEs Without HVBJB Failure - Tracking List

If you own a 2021 GT or GTPE, have you ever had SSN or SVS due to a HVBJB failure?

• Total voters
OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I should add, never once used a fast charger for either car. We charge them up once every 2-3 weeks at home on our level 2 charger. We do charge to 100% though.
We do drive somewhat aggressively, and the 2021 has the 2021 tread wear to prove it. Hoping we can dial it back and not have to buy new tires before we turn in at the end of our Ford Options plan in Jan 2025.
High speed driving is what appears to cause the most failures, per the data Todd collected more than a year ago. DCFC has not been shown to be a cause, at least in the failure data Todd collected. And from the data reported in this forum.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To the contrary, Fords website says there isn’t a remedy available for the recall and later states they will contact me by mail when the parts are available so I can get an appointment.
IMG_7811.png

That being said, do I wish I had been more proactive in trying to get those parts ahead of the failure rather than accept the assertion that I would be contacted when parts were available? Sure do. Do I have any reason to believe that would have been successful in the face of the complete inaction of Ford now that it has failed? Not even a little bit.
I don't understand this at all. Your car is in the recall group. Your car should have the recall performed.

I didn't get an email that parts are available, even though I was told I would. I just took the car in for the state inspection, and they said I had the open recall, and they would order the part, which they did. I came back when the part was received, a couple days later, and they did the replacement. And I got 30,000 Ford points and a phone tray thing (which is supposed to come at some point). It was so easy.

Just tell the dealer you want the recall performed. If they won't do it, find another dealer. It is not hard.

PNWEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
Oh, the dealer knows about the recalls and is trying to get parts. Apparently they haven’t been able to get any shipped and the regional people are also drawing a blank. I know the dealership isn’t wasting time because after the first 20 days they started paying for a rental themselves and then found a loaner.

I’m also mystified why I seem to have this issue when most others seem to be able to either get it fixed proactively or get taken care of when it fails.

TheSleepyDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GB GTPE
Country flag
My 2021 GTPE joined the Stop Safely Now club, just under 36k miles.

Went to start the car last week and got the message, dealer finally confirmed yesterday that it was the HVBJB. Updating my response now.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
My 2021 GTPE joined the Stop Safely Now club, just under 36k miles.

Went to start the car last week and got the message, dealer finally confirmed yesterday that it was the HVBJB. Updating my response now.
Wow, I’m surprised you hadn’t already gotten the C box. Hope it is a quick and easy repair for you.

I just got my charging pad and invitation for $50 on Monday for my HVBJB replacement in January. Was a nice gesture.

TheSleepyDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GB GTPE
Country flag
Wow, I’m surprised you hadn’t already gotten the C box. Hope it is a quick and easy repair for you.

I just got my charging pad and invitation for $50 on Monday for my HVBJB replacement in January. Was a nice gesture.
My dealer got the part in and I was in the process of trying to schedule the service with them when Ford put a hold on the repair. So naturally that's when mine decided to fail :crazy: At least that meant they already had the part on hand for me!

Kristins

First Name
Kristin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Cadillac ELR
Country flag
Stranded roadside today with the Stop Safely Now message. I have a 2021 Premium Extended Range. I’ve been trying to get the recall done since I received it, but my local dealers said they couldn’t get the part, would call me when it’s in. Ford app says the same - recall incomplete, remedy not yet available. I was an hour from home when stranded. The dealership I had the car towed to said they wouldn’t be able to run diagnostics for 2-3 days. I guess I can’t get a rental until the diagnostics confirm it’s HVBJB, right? By the time we got the car to the dealership, the 12v battery was dead, too. From what I’ve read that seems like an indicator that it is the HVBJB, but I don’t know a lot about automotive mechanics so maybe not? Anyone have any advice for me?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Stranded roadside today with the Stop Safely Now message. I have a 2021 Premium Extended Range. I’ve been trying to get the recall done since I received it, but my local dealers said they couldn’t get the part, would call me when it’s in. Ford app says the same - recall incomplete, remedy not yet available. I was an hour from home when stranded. The dealership I had the car towed to said they wouldn’t be able to run diagnostics for 2-3 days. I guess I can’t get a rental until the diagnostics confirm it’s HVBJB, right? By the time we got the car to the dealership, the 12v battery was dead, too. From what I’ve read that seems like an indicator that it is the HVBJB, but I don’t know a lot about automotive mechanics so maybe not? Anyone have any advice for me?
Stop safely now and dead 12v would indicate the cause is a dead 12v.

Let us know what they find out.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
The 12v wasn’t dead at first - it didn’t die until it was towed to the dealership.
That means it was dying and at a very low state of charge. Could be a coincidence, but we shall see.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That means it was dying and at a very low state of charge. Could be a coincidence, but we shall see.
Could also mean the contact is now stuck open which will chew up the 12V in no time. Trust me put up with it for over a year. Contact sticks open it will kill a healthy 12V in less than an hour. A 12V charger was required when parked for me for a good 6 months waiting for my second new under designed defective HVJB. After a year they put in another A model that also blew.

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your trouble.

Some on the forum have the ability to check your codes and see if it is the HVBJB or not. Unfortunately, I don't have that capability. You can also check the codes yourself with an OBDII scanner. But since you don't have the car, you can't do that right now either. You just have to wait for the dealer to do it.

I wish there was a better answer for you. When others have had the HVBJB failure, like Shayne, it also killed the LVB. So it very well could be your problem.

I never had the failure, and the dealer replaced my HVBJB under the recall repair. I guess I will never see it now. I hope!

Kristins

First Name
Kristin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Cadillac ELR
Country flag
Could also mean the contact is now stuck open which will chew up the 12V in no time. Trust me put up with it for over a year. Contact sticks open it will kill a healthy 12V in less than an hour. A 12V charger was required when parked for me for a good 6 months waiting for my second new under designed defective HVJB. After a year they put in another A model that also blew.
Last night I received two calls from roadside assistance saying they received notifications about a problem with my High Voltage Battery and I needed to have the car towed to the dealership as soon as possible to run diagnostics.

Kristins

First Name
Kristin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Cadillac ELR
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your trouble.

Some on the forum have the ability to check your codes and see if it is the HVBJB or not. Unfortunately, I don't have that capability. You can also check the codes yourself with an OBDII scanner. But since you don't have the car, you can't do that right now either. You just have to wait for the dealer to do it.

I wish there was a better answer for you. When others have had the HVBJB failure, like Shayne, it also killed the LVB. So it very well could be your problem.

I never had the failure, and the dealer replaced my HVBJB under the recall repair. I guess I will never see it now. I hope!
Glad you were able to get the fix before you had any issues! I am thankful my elderly mother was not in the car with me when this happened - I had just dropped her off when I got stranded. It was 95 degrees here and a very uncomfortable wait for the tow truck.

Kristins

First Name
Kristin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Cadillac ELR
Country flag
Ugh. Sorry you’ve been dealing with this for so long. I think you’re right - roadside assistance called me twice last night with an offer to arrange a tow to the dealership ASAP as they received notifications of an issue with my HVB. I haven’t followed this issue but I was surprised they would proactively reach out like that. Mind you, they were my first call when I got stranded and they told me I would have to pay for the tow so I called AAA instead - I guess they hadn’t received the notifications yet at that point.
Sponsored