silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
It's not clear to me if the MME uses "shore power" if it's remote started for preconditioning. If you start the car from the app outside of the preset charging limits, which setting takes precedence; using shore power or the designated time window?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mopey

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Yes, my next cold weather test will be to answer some of those questions. I saw some evidence that if plugged in to a 120v level 1 outlet, there is no heat going to either the battery or the interior. If, in fact, the heater is 5 kw then it won't be able to be powered by the 120v connection unless the heater has multiple\or variable heating elements.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
It's not clear to me if the MME uses "shore power" if it's remote started for preconditioning. If you start the car from the app outside of the preset charging limits, which setting takes precedence; using shore power or the designated time window?
Maybe I misunderstand your question, but I have started my car multiple times with it connected to a 240 Volt charger and it shows a little plug symbol on the front display, indicating it is running on "shore power". I never tried, but I am sure the car won't let you put it in Drive or Reverse with it plugged in.

PaulP

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
Thank you for sharing!! I just did the same round trip to Quebec City I do every other week, but on Tuesday, it was -6°C, dry road, no wind, so good conditions for comparing my mileage to summer conditions.

I drive a Select AWD, standard range. I lost around 30% range by only adding winter tires and a temperature under 0°C (32°F). I still had heat coming out from the vents ?

In the summer, usually around 20-25°C (70/80°F), with stock Michelin tires : 19 kWh/100 km
This week, temperature around -5°C/-6°C (20/25°F) the whole run, with studless Nokian Hakka 10 SUV winter tires: 26 kWh/100 km.

Edit: And car was pre-heated before leaving.

OP
OP
Mopey

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And here I am debating driving the Explorer on Thanksgiving day (5.5 hour round trip) instead of the MMe because the temps will only be in the mid 30's ?
Did you make it?

Metal_Horses

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, 2022 Bronco 2D SAS, 1985.5 Mustang SVO
Country flag
Did you make it?
It was easy. Stopped on the way to get free EA charging from 45%-75% then level 2 charged at the in-laws all day to 100% and was home by 9pm. Cold and rainy but didn't short out on using the heat

Lady Anne

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MACH-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I personally really appreciated the cold weather review. As a former Alaskan with thirty years of expierence Working in the Arctic, I again say that I can relate to all of the issues that you encountered at -35 deg. I took the liberty of sending this write up to my son who’s got a Ford Lightening on order or reserved what ever is the correct term. I own a MME and love it down here in the Lower 48, but I’m not so sure that I’d want to deal with and rely on an EV TO GET ME THERE AND KEEP ME WARM in interior Alaska.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I grew up in Louisiana, proving that even a cajun can learn to stay warm if his life depends on it.
OK, my curiosity is getting to me. Were you in the service and that's how you ended up in Alaska, or were you made an offer you couldn't refuse in Las Vegas/Atlantic City?

OP
OP
Mopey

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Life in witness protection is hell.

Air Force brat + my own Air Force career. Born in England. I did live in Las Vegas, too. ? ?

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Thank you for sharing!! I just did the same round trip to Quebec City I do every other week, but on Tuesday, it was -6°C, dry road, no wind, so good conditions for comparing my mileage to summer conditions.

I drive a Select AWD, standard range. I lost around 30% range by only adding winter tires and a temperature under 0°C (32°F). I still had heat coming out from the vents ?

In the summer, usually around 20-25°C (70/80°F), with stock Michelin tires : 19 kWh/100 km
This week, temperature around -5°C/-6°C (20/25°F) the whole run, with studless Nokian Hakka 10 SUV winter tires: 26 kWh/100 km.

Edit: And car was pre-heated before leaving.
Sounds right. I'm seeing 24kwh/100km in Montreal this week. But that's with heavy winter steel rims.

PaulP

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
Sounds right. I'm seeing 24kwh/100km in Montreal this week. But that's with heavy winter steel rims.
I achieve 26 kwh/100km between Charlevoix and Quebec City, so I'll always consume more because of the mountains. But it's a good test for real life range. Cruise control always at 107 km/h makes it easy to compare each ride.

coolshades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF -> Mach E AWD ER, Rapid Red
Country flag
Life in witness protection is hell.

Air Force brat + my own Air Force career. Born in England. I did live in Las Vegas, too. ? ?
the places people will go to, to escape the rain in England!

OP
OP
Mopey

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the places people will go to, to escape the rain in England!
I miss the rain in the UK. Sunny here (when it eventually rises), but -25C.
Sponsored