First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GT
Country flag
The materials I procured will not work.

I inserted a 3/16 rubber cord designed to withstand major heat/cold/vibration into the gap. It just disappeared into a “cavern“ beneath the windshield that I didn’t know existed.

Said another way, as I inserted the cord, instead of just lying in the gap between the roof and windshield (as I expected), it began to travel down/beneath the windshield. It literally just disappeared into a larger gap (not visible from the top) that I did no know existed. i stopped the insertion process and pulled it back out.

A “friction-mounted” large cell foam insulating tube should work. I’ve ordered one and will let you know the results....
Thanks for the update. That is certainly odd and could be the culprit for the sound. Look forward to the results of the next test
Sponsored

OP
OP

sldave84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GT
Country flag
Update I added to the original post:

*Ford’s Friends and Family Customer Service rep reached back out to me and I updated her on what Ford had communicated to the service supervisor at the dealership. As a courtesy for the in inconvenience they offered me an additional 2 years of coverage on the vehicle to go on top of 3 yrs/36k standard warranty. She is going to connect with her Mach-e team to see if she can find more information on an official fix(as well as if she can get me the 3D printed Mustang since I bought my FE off the lot, but that’s irrelevant to this thread)

Additionally, JSW in this thread has tried a temporary fix of inserting “a 3/16 rubber cord designed to withstand major heat/cold/vibration into the gap. It just disappeared into a “cavern“ beneath the windshield that I didn’t know existed. A “friction-mounted” large cell foam insulating tube should work.” He has ordered that and will update us on the results

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
... as I inserted the cord, instead of just lying in the gap between the roof and windshield (as I expected), it began to travel down/beneath the windshield. It literally just disappeared into a larger gap (not visible from the top) that I did no know existed. i stopped the insertion process and pulled it back out.
It sounds like it would be a major water trap, as well. That can't be right.

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
If tape across the gap worked for another member, then a foam tube inserted in the gap should work as well.

I just need to get the proper diameter so it closes the gap, is large enough to create friction to hold it in place, but not so large that it damages anything.

I’ve ordered 3/16 and 1/4.
I’m confident if I get the proper diameter, it will work.

AE5F3508-D2BD-4697-8D27-17FC20A89EB5.png

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
I measured the gap width and it appears to be around 1/8", but the depth of the gap definitely more like 3/8"

@JSW What did you order previously and what are you ordering the second go-round?

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
What's concerning is that if there is that big of a gap under the windshield the potential for accumulation of debris, water, etc. is very likely.
If tape across the gap worked for another member, then a foam tube inserted in the gap should work as well.

I just need to get the proper diameter so it closes the gap, is large enough to create friction to hold it in place, but not so large that it damages anything.

I’ve ordered 3/16 and 1/4.
I’m confident if I get the proper diameter, it will work.

Ford Mustang Mach-E [4th Update...Kinda] Wind noise from panoramic roof AE5F3508-D2BD-4697-8D27-17FC20A89EB5
What's concerning is that if there is that big of a gap under the windshield the potential for accumulation of debris, water, etc. is very likely. And I'd assume you'll never get the foam insert to be watertight. What happens if water gets in/trapped and then it freezes? Cracked windshield?

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Pluging the gap might interfere with water drainage. better be sure that function doesn't get blocked.
Water drains down. Stopping the water from entering the gap should in no way interfere with how the water drains if/when it does work it’s way in.

CopperRobot

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Country flag
Same wind noise on mine, same gap and roof glass is higher than windshield edge. Cold is not an issue if anything the temps are ideal right now mid 70's F.

SebastienMachE

First Name
Sebastien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Journey
Country flag
What's concerning is that if there is that big of a gap under the windshield the potential for accumulation of debris, water, etc. is very likely. And I'd assume you'll never get the foam insert to be watertight. What happens if water gets in/trapped and then it freezes? Cracked windshield?
Exactly my thoughts! Yesterday morning, it was -22oC here! What happens when the ice expands in the « cavern »?

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just tried my third fix (the one noted above).
It worked and reduced the noise by 50-70%.

someone above noted their gap was 1/8 inch. The only problem I have is the 3/16 inch product I used probably is too small for my gap (which is larger than most). I may have to go with 1/4 if I want it to stay put.

61269DF6-3237-45E5-A529-D2B6458D80E2.jpeg

Major

First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I don't believe the noise is coming from the roof, but it is difficult to pinpoint for me. There is a new rumbling sound I am starting to hear. I believe it is on the left side of the car. I don't hear it much with the window down, but only with it closed. The ride of this car is anything but smooth.

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
I just tried my third fix (the one noted above).
It worked and reduced the noise by 50-70%.

someone above noted their gap was 1/8 inch. The only problem I have is the 3/16 inch product I used probably is too small for my gap (which is larger than most). I may have to go with 1/4 if I want it to stay put.

Ford Mustang Mach-E [4th Update...Kinda] Wind noise from panoramic roof 61269DF6-3237-45E5-A529-D2B6458D80E2
Wow! That gap definitely does not look right - especially at the bottom corner. I can't believe that would be 'by design'. That will certainly fill up with dirt, debris, etc. Seems like, over time, it could cause major problems with the integrity of the roof. I wish Ford would step up and say something about this.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
That's the way these are designed for glass to glass joints,. tesla is similar. Don't have much noise on mine but might try the foam just for the heck of it.
Sponsored