RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
Remember in the past people were pouring send into a gas tank as an act of revenge? I suspect soon will see superglue squeezed into the charging port as the war for chargers gets ugly.

Phil-Springs

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E CA RT1 AWD Extended DMG 2022
Country flag
Remember in the past people were pouring send into a gas tank as an act of revenge? I suspect soon will see superglue squeezed into the charging port as the war for chargers gets ugly.
Sorry for getting this distracted on politics and a history lesson. The real intent was about what to do , given most humans are going to act poorly until chargers become more prevalent.

Last edited:

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not sure what you consider a crisis. I remember still being in college in 73/74 and getting gas was not so easy, canā€™t remember prices but do remember having to scrounge around for gas just to get to a job.

I believe the 73 shortage was an embargo due to Arab Israeli war in OCt 73.

Old_Norm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Select EAWD, 2023 Maverick Lariat LUX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sorry for getting this distracted on politics and a history lesson. The real intent was about what to do , given most humans are going to act poorly until chargers become more prevalent.
As a retired Federal LEO my first reaction would be to tell the subject firmly but politely to put the handle back or I would kick his report him to the owners of the station. Seriously, avoid a confrontation. I'd rather see you go home to your loved ones that day than be the victim of charger rage.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Really need those in charge of parking lots/garages never put the L2 plugs in desirable spots.
THIS. Make them out of the way as possible so only the most diehard asshats will park in them

To be fair the average price of gas in the US did not go over $1 a gallon until 1980. If you have different stats please post them. Thai is what I found. https://www.titlemax.com/discovery-center/planes-trains-and-automobiles/average-gas-prices-through-history/#:~:text=Gas Prices in the U.S. Throughout History ,of Ukraine begins. 70 more rows
To be fair, the president does not set the price of gas, determine what OPEC's quotas will be, nor controls commodities markets. Carter very much had his hands tied when the Shah fell, but I guess that's all revisionist history?

Not sure what you consider a crisis. I remember still being in college in 73/74 and getting gas was not so easy, canā€™t remember prices but do remember having to scrounge around for gas just to get to a job.

I believe the 73 shortage was an embargo due to Arab Israeli war in OCt 73.
Exactly. I was pretty young but still aware of the OPEC oil embargo and remember the pictures of long gas lines and "NO GAS" signs at stations. I was too young to understand what caused it, but remember seeing the pictures.

EVandSolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV, Tesla M3, Ioniq PHEV(daughter)
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
Can't wait to get my solar installed. Get's me pretty close to energy independence.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I guess that's all revisionist history?
I love revisionist history. Apparently, so does our education system and the news media. šŸ˜

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I love revisionist history. Apparently, so does our education system and the news media. šŸ˜
...and politicians and politician candidates.

LNFitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Saddle Fitterā€¦and yes, have worked with Mustangs
Country flag
I bought some hang tags thru Etsy before a x-country trip last year because I didn't know what to expect. They hang on the charging nozzle and allow you to give your phone number if someone has the courtesy to contact you. Not perfect solution but gives offender chance to negotiate some. They also give you the opportunity to say if your charging is essential and/or minimum charge that is essential before you would like to be unplugged.

Melancholy1980

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium Ext AWD Ice White
Country flag
They should invent a way for the L2 charger to get locked to the car until it hits its desired charge level, after which it unlocks and can be unplugged. Similarly locking at a DCFC. A light or indicator on the charger or car that shows the status would show whether or not itā€™s ready to be unplugged or in use. Although that does introduce a new way for something to break and a charger to get stuck in a car šŸ˜‚

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
They should invent a way for the L2 charger to get locked to the car until it hits its desired charge level, after which it unlocks and can be unplugged. Similarly locking at a DCFC. A light or indicator on the charger or car that shows the status would show whether or not itā€™s ready to be unplugged or in use. Although that does introduce a new way for something to break and a charger to get stuck in a car šŸ˜‚
Thereā€™s no reason why Ford couldnā€™t enable the locking mechanism with software. It was a choice to only lock the charge port with DC chargers. I think it should be an option to have it lock until L2 charging has stopped. Even better if we can set the lock on a per-location basis.

EDIT: I might have to check J1772 latch dimensions to see if itā€™s feasible.

Last edited:

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Thereā€™s no reason why Ford couldnā€™t enable the locking mechanism with software. It was a choice to only lock the charge port with DC chargers. I think it should be an option to have it lock until L2 charging has stopped.
does the DCFC actually lock when you walk away? or can someone just push the button on the port and unlock it while you're gone still?
Sponsored