Am I missing something BIG by not ordering AWD?

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Honda Pilot,2012 Honda Civic,Premium std rwd
Country flag
I am really sorry for probably very naive question, but I just probably need more convincing to switch to AWD or confirming that RWD is just fine. I actually ordered Premium Infinite Blue Standard Range RWD model - it was kind of still a hard decision to spend close to $50K when what I am currently driving (2012 Honda Civic) costs probably around $3K. But there are not too many things in life that excite me anymore and, after gloating since last November, I finally pulled the trigger couple of days ago. Anyway, despite on the money concerns I decided on Premium model - but went with the most basic of the Premiums - RWD with projected mileage of 230 miles. I live in California, where obviously you would never have snow, where rains maybe last for two - three months (if we are lucky) - so, paying $2K more for AWD with 20K mileage less was contra-intuitive. And if you go all the way to ideal 300K mileage with AWD, I would have to pay $7.7K more - which is just too huge of a difference to me. But... I am not too experienced with cars, with the cost of ownership, with the pluses and minuses like many of you are - I see huge difference between people who ordered AWD versus RWD orders. What I am missing? I understand obvious necessity to have AWD in states with snow (I am originally from very cold country where at the time I would love to have AWD but I drove FWD and RWD and during winter it was so unsafe) but in sunny states like California or Arizona, why would you prefer AWD so much? Is it possible there here we just have people who are just going for a max - getting best mileage and best drive option (AWD) - so, maybe money is not such a big issue? Appreciate any opinion / point of view.
Sponsored

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
For me, AWD handles better, as in more grip hard in corners, launches better with less wheel spin, is faster due to dual motors (why I reserved a GT). If you don't live in a wintery state and the above things don't matter to you, then you're not missing out, in my opinion

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Your profile shows you as living in the east bay? There's little reason to go for AWD driving around the SFO Bay Area IMO. If you're planning on a lot of trips to Tahoe, Donner, Reno in the winter you might want to consider whether it's worth the money upgrading. A RWD MME should have enough weight and traction for anything you're likely going to run into driving 880/580/680/80/24 etc. Honestly, I'd not buy AWD for non-emotional reasons if we still lived there.

I only got AWD out here (upcountry Hawaii is much like the West Bay or Santa Barbara weather-wise) just because I could and it had faster 0 - 60 times. Not for any real reason.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
SR RWD68 kWh230mi266hp317lbft5.8s 0-60
+$2700SR AWD68 kWh210mi266hp428lbft5.2s 0-60
+$5000ER RWD88 kWh300mi290hp317lbft6.1s 0-60
+$7700ER AWD88 kWh270mi346hp428lbft4.8s 0-60

Is AWD worth $2700 for you?

That's a question only you can answer

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
SR RWD68 kWh230mi266hp317lbft5.8s 0-60
+$2700SR AWD68 kWh210mi266hp428lbft5.2s 0-60
+$5000ER RWD88 kWh300mi290hp317lbft6.1s 0-60
+$7700ER AWD88 kWh270mi346hp428lbft4.8s 0-60

Is AWD worth $2700 for you?

That's a question only you can answer
for 2,700 better driving for bad weather and faster 0 to 60. really about it. lose 30mi of range.

OP
OP
supertramp

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Honda Pilot,2012 Honda Civic,Premium std rwd
Country flag
Thanks everybody. Feel better now about RWD - I had most of the same arguments you listed but wanted to make sure I am not missing something important. $2700 with lesser mileage for AWD is not worth it, imho. But it's imho, of course. And $7.7K is way too steep, for me at least. As for trips Tahoe,, sure, that might happen but our second car, Honda Pilot AWD, should solve that problem.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
And if you go all the way to ideal 300K mileage with AWD,
No can do, look at the chart above AWD ER is 270mi.

Consider this: I'm in Michigan with lots of snow and I'm getting RWD...(ok yeah maybe I'm a masochist??)

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Performance wise.....AWD is worth about 6 tenths of a second in 0-60 sprint with the standard battery and 1.3 seconds with the bigger battery. At $2700.....a very reasonable price to pay for the added quickness. I am pretty sure it costs much more than that to gain 1.3 seconds 0-60 on an ICE Mustang.....

Other than sprint times and cornering performance....
Driving in inclement weather would be the other benefit I suppose....

janitorjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150 2001, explorer xlt 2013
Country flag
I think for most people the AWD is nice add on but you will not miss it. Don't think it is as powerful as the other company's ludicrous mode (stolen from SPACEBALLS) so the difference in feel from AWD an RWD will not be that much. If I wanted that power I would get a real mustang um ICE mustang by shelby :)

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Agree with the above posts. Unless you're concerned with the 0-60 times, in California, you won't see any benefit from AWD. You'll just get less range.
RWD is absolutely fine. (I drove a RWD Mustang GT as my only car for 10 years... and that's in winter, too).
If you really wanted to drive in the snow somewhere, you could get by with snow tires or chains temporarily.

And, these cars are really heavy. I don't think grip will be a problem for you.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
In all honesty @supertramp, if the California Route 1 trim line and been a premium edition car with RWD and the extended battery I would have bought it just for the CR1 plate. I don't need AWD and I grew up in Fremont and went to school there and at San Jose State and grad school in SFO. Highway 1 was right nearby. :)

Enjoy the car.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
You should be just fine - I lived in east bay and did those trips to Tahoe area in a front wheel drive sedan for many years (with chains ofcourse when needed) - just for normal use in Bay area RWD is going to be just fine. I am just repeating what others already posted here :).

Ideally I would have gotten a Rt1 but wanted the acoustic glass so premium was my choice. I do have AWD on order simply because I may be relocating in future to those states where it will be handy. I plan to keep the vehicle for a long time (at least that is the plan as of now).

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Performance wise.....AWD is worth about 6 tenths of a second in 0-60 sprint with the standard battery and 1.3 seconds with the bigger battery. At $2700.....a very reasonable price to pay for the added quickness. I am pretty sure it costs much more than that to gain 1.3 seconds 0-60 on an ICE Mustang.....

Other than sprint times and cornering performance....
Driving in inclement weather would be the other benefit I suppose....
And considering the acceleration in the RWD is going to be unlike anything you've driven, I think 5.8 seconds will be just fine.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Am I missing something BIG by not ordering AWD? acceleration curve
Sponsored