Am I missing something BIG by not ordering AWD?

OP
OP
supertramp

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Honda Pilot,2012 Honda Civic,Premium std rwd
Country flag
In all honesty @supertramp, if the California Route 1 trim line and been a premium edition car with RWD and the extended battery I would have bought it just for the CR1 plate. I don't need AWD and I grew up in Fremont and went to school there and at San Jose State and grad school in SFO. Highway 1 was right nearby. :)

Enjoy the car.

Thanks! CR1 is missing too many significant (fo me at least) features - B&O sound, heated seats and steering wheel and bigger wheels. Extended Range is awesome though. I came to California from another country - and, though, Route 1 is awesome, I don't have that strong an attachment to it, like you understandably have :)
Sponsored

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
-I live in the SF Bay Area, and I am getting a rear-wheel-drive Mach-E. The car is already fast, and if I go skiing, I'm usually with friends with four-wheel-drive. I'm saving some money and getting a longer range.
I am in the exact same "boat." Live in the Bay Area, although I will try this baby in the snow once or twice. I recall from some of the reviews the batteries being down low in the middle of the car give the car some extra stability. I think it will be fine.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I don't know. How big do you consider two extra motors?

um

maybe I'm reading that too literally

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I got the AWD standard range premium mostly because I’ve always wanted to have an AWD car and wanted the faster acceleration.

But I agree with others, if you live in the East Bay, you don’t need AWD, and even in the rain, compared to most ICEs, the greater weight over the rear wheels in a BEV means you will get relatively better traction in rain too compared to other RWD cars.

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
SR RWD68 kWh230mi266hp317lbft5.8s 0-60
+$2700SR AWD68 kWh210mi266hp428lbft5.2s 0-60
+$5000ER RWD88 kWh300mi290hp317lbft6.1s 0-60
+$7700ER AWD88 kWh270mi346hp428lbft4.8s 0-60

Is AWD worth $2700 for you?

That's a question only you can answer
My answer is YES. But my wife's answer is NO. Guess what I ordered? Premium SR.

Only reason it wasn't Select is I didn't tell her it was a option. Only said FE or Premium. Thank god for the little wins. ?

jksu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium STD RWD Shadow Black
Country flag
also got a premium std rwd. here in LA.

originally reserved a premium er awd, thinking i wanted all the bells & whistles for my 1st bev (and not patient or rich enough for the GT)

but having always wanted to try that rwd handling everyone raves about, i switched to rwd when ordering. none of our cars are close to sub-6 0-60 so with the immediate torque and power of the mach-e, i’m pretty sure i’ll be plenty happy.

also realized the jump in price for a larger battery that i will rarely use/need with the mach-e being a commuter (we have a minivan for long family road trips) wasn’t financially smart for our family. battery costs and density hopefully should be improved in 3 years when the ford options/lease is up and maybe then i’ll consider a long range model.

mwsno

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 3
Country flag
I've been considering changing out my GT order for a more reasonable Select, SR, RWD. Simply because it still hits all the boxes aside from AWD and falls under WA state's tax exempt incentive. Be saving lots of money. I drive about 60 miles a day, but I have chargers available at either end of my commute. Be a little concerned with my weekend mountain ventures though. We'll see lol
Sponsored