llinthicum1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Ford Mustang, 2020 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I knew outside cold temperatures impact BEVs, but didn't realize hot temperatures also degrade performance. BEVs with a heat pump help resolve cold temperatures issues, but how will hot temperatures be fixed.
Sponsored

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
Hopefully Ford can comment on this... I've got a trip to Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Death Valley coming up in two weeks and really some reassurance that everything is going to operate as planned!
Yes, this is very concerning. What happens if you are in the middle of nowhere, driving on interstate and the car starts making those warnings?

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah, well... Nothing is going to change there..haha

Got the No Drive Modes thing on my way to lunch today. It's gonna be common with these temps I guess.

Wow that is hot. Maybe the PAAK remote start before taking off? It can also be extended by tapping on it.

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag

Got the No Drive Modes thing on my way to lunch today. It's gonna be common with these temps I guess.
What about the return trip from lunch? That would validate or disprove my theory about some drive time cooling things back down to an acceptable level.

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
I wonder if that message only comes up during extreme heat at a know charging locations like your house or work. I left my house (car was in the garage from the night before)to have lunch, got to my destination and the message never came up. Temperature is 107+. I parked in the shade so the car was quit cool when I left. When I returned home I got the message again. The temperature increased a degree or two from when I arrived.

Thoughts?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Just out of curiosity, why don't you charge at work?
From June-Sept, I prefer to charge the battery during the evening because the ambient temp is coolest at that time.
If I need to charge at work, then I'll do it in the morning hours for an hour or two.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

You have a standard range battery, correct? I wonder if the slightly smaller mass and 1 liter less of coolant affects how quickly the battery heats up and cools down?
For those that have seen this message, what size battery does your car have?

I knew outside cold temperatures impact BEVs, but didn't realize hot temperatures also degrade performance. BEVs with a heat pump help resolve cold temperatures issues, but how will hot temperatures be fixed.
Reasonably warm temps doesn't seem to impact range that much (if any). It's only when it gets super warm that we can see range impact. In cold winter temps, the impact to range is much greater....like 2 or 3 time as much. However, cold temps don't physically affect the battery very much but extremely hot temps can cause lasting damage. So as long as we make sure the car is running or plugged in then we should be okay.

Yes, this is very concerning. What happens if you are in the middle of nowhere, driving on interstate and the car starts making those warnings?
If the car is running then it should easily be able to manage the battery temps as long as the vehicle is driven sensibly. When I was driving my Focus Electric during temps like this.....if I mashed the pedal to the floor (to merge with traffic for instance), then the vehicle would divert more AC coolant to the battery chiller and much less to the passenger compartment. So, if we are delicate with the accelerator pedal then both the battery and the passengers should be comfortable. Here is a screen shot of the Focus Electric.

Temp of coolant going to the battery is 103. Temp of coolant going to the cabin is much higher. This probably because I was driving to aggressively at the time. :)
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ambient Temperature High Warning 1624060183196

Wow that is hot. Maybe the PAAK remote start before taking off? It can also be extended by tapping on it.
Good suggestion. I remote start all the time. Sometimes I don't even turn the car off if I am just stopping for a quick visit and have the car in my sight the entire time. If I am just popping into the grocery store to pick up something real quick then I shut down the car, walk away and make sure it locks and then remote start it. It gives me about 15 minutes before it times out I think...

This probably contributes to my 20% range reduction when it's super hot out. :)

What about the return trip from lunch? That would validate or disprove my theory about some drive time cooling things back down to an acceptable level.
I think that is a valid theory. ?

I wonder if that message only comes up during extreme heat at a know charging locations like your house or work. I left my house (car was in the garage from the night before)to have lunch, got to my destination and the message never came up. Temperature is 107+. I parked in the shade so the car was quit cool when I left. When I returned home I got the message again. The temperature increased a degree or two from when I arrived.

Thoughts?
I don't think location matters. The message should display whenever the vehicle needs to limit the drive mode. We are presuming that reason it excessive battery temp but until we gather more data we don't really know for certain. Makes sense though....the only folks reporting that message have experienced excessive temps in the last few days.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Back to whisper mode the whole trip back. Was fine. Btw I started off in Whisper on the way to lunch, and somewhere along the way it dropped over to Safe Mode and I didn't notice when that happened. I only eventually realized the IC went back to the default Engage style and that was my clue. Trip to lunch was about 10 miles or so, maybe 60% freeway and 45 mph for the rest.

wonder if that message only comes up during extreme heat at a know charging locations like your house or work. I left my house (car was in the garage from the night before)to have lunch, got to my destination and the message never came up.
Nope, it's based on vehicle and temperature conditions, not gelocation. I see that "wow it's hot out, plug in" warning when I switch to Park of both car and outside temps are high enough.

You have a standard range battery, correct?
Yes, sir.

So, if we are delicate with the accelerator pedal then both the battery and the passengers should be comfortable.
Uh oh... ?

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I used to have a bolt and charging in the heat is reduced as it also would pause to cool batteries and then resume. I haven’t noticed yet in the Mach e but assume will be the same. Our garages in az get crazy hot in summer.

I still wish there was a way to connect to charger and have a setting that allows it to use energy to cool the battery but not charge until the right time (ie for time of use plans).
I too have a Bolt, and it is currently plugged in in the garage and running the cooling fan, but not charging. It is smart enough not to charge during peak hours, but will still keep the battery cool during those hours. I have the Mach E plugged in to a different charger and the fan is not running, but boy when it does run that thing is really loud. Seems like the Mach E does not run the cooling unless it is charging, so why the message to plug in when hot?

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Good suggestion. I remote start all the time. Sometimes I don't even turn the car off if I am just stopping for a quick visit and have the car in my sight the entire time. If I am just popping into the grocery store to pick up something real quick then I shut down the car, walk away and make sure it locks and then remote start it. It gives me about 15 minutes before it times out I think...
The default is 15 minutes but if you tap up top on the remote start when it is visible you can extend it to 30 minutes (i think 30?)

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
I too have a Bolt, and it is currently plugged in in the garage and running the cooling fan, but not charging. It is smart enough not to charge during peak hours, but will still keep the battery cool during those hours. I have the Mach E plugged in to a different charger and the fan is not running, but boy when it does run that thing is really loud. Seems like the Mach E does not run the cooling unless it is charging, so why the message to plug in when hot?
Maybe it just runs the pumps when it's not charging?

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would like to know a bit more about the BMS of the MME when it is sitting. And if there is any difference between it plugged and not plug. It should condition, maintain and protect itself and be ready in whatever conditions/state unless the % charge calculates it can't. That would be the first FP notification that would be really helpful. Really do not want to hear that it just falls into a deep sleep after charging or when not plugged in. Especially at 110 and -25 F. Do not think we will see 110 here for at least a few more years but the -25 regularly.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
No, it is running both, even during driving with the AC on it runs the fan and it is very quiet compared to the MME.

The difference between the Bolt and the MME is that it appears the Bolt prioritizes battery conditioning over peak electric rates, whereas the MME does not appear to do this. The battery conditioning should not really take very much power, although it might in cold weather conditions below freezing, but I have zero experience with that.

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
No, it is running both, even during driving with the AC on it runs the fan and it is very quiet compared to the MME.

The difference between the Bolt and the MME is that it appears the Bolt prioritizes battery conditioning over peak electric rates, whereas the MME does not appear to do this. The battery conditioning should not really take very much power, although it might in cold weather conditions below freezing, but I have zero experience with that.
I meant the MME.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
From June-Sept, I prefer to charge the battery during the evening because the ambient temp is coolest at that time.
If I need to charge at work, then I'll do it in the morning hours for an hour or two.
Actually, the coolest ambient temperature is usually in the morning just after sunrise. Since I've gone back to the office this past week, I've charged a work from 6 am to 8 am and then moved to covered parking. When I left for work on Thursday, my garage was still 102, while outside temperature was a "chilly" 85.

This would be different if I had to drive throughout the day.
Sponsored