Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Great. Another car maker that's never built a car before.

At least it'll have an average sound system.
Sponsored

ChargedCheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME 4XE, 2017 BMW i3 94wh
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I find it interesting how many people here are quick to jump on Sony for not being a car company...

Sony wasn't a video game company at one point in their history - they got contracted by Nintendo to create a disc based system - Nintendo ended up not liking it, so they shopped around for another buyer. No one liked it, so Sony decided to make their own video game division. They called their device the Playstation.

Man, what a colossal flop that was. I mean seriously, who has heard of the Playstation - what a joke. I sure hope they don't use THAT playbook again...

(For the sarcastically inept - Sony has a history of not shopping their designs well, but they have some success when they give up and build in house. I'm quite interested in seeing where this goes.)

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I find it interesting how many people here are quick to jump on Sony for not being a car company...

Sony wasn't a video game company at one point in their history - they got contracted by Nintendo to create a disc based system - Nintendo ended up not liking it, so they shopped around for another buyer. No one liked it, so Sony decided to make their own video game division. They called their device the Playstation.

Man, what a colossal flop that was. I mean seriously, who has heard of the Playstation - what a joke. I sure hope they don't use THAT playbook again...

(For the sarcastically inept - Sony has a history of not shopping their designs well, but they have some success when they give up and build in house. I'm quite interested in seeing where this goes.)
They went from consumer electronics to consumer electronics. Not exactly a leap.

And when they need to build brakes, suspensions, etc?

They need to develop a dealer and service network?

It’s more than a hop, skip and jump.

I predict they did this (like many car manufacturers) for the stock price bump.

Haven’t they figured out electric cars aren’t big money makers?

I predict the Sony car will either never happen or they’ll just partner with another car company to sell components.

Unfortunately, nothing I saw in the video was revolutionary.

ChargedCheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME 4XE, 2017 BMW i3 94wh
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
They went from consumer electronics to consumer electronics. Not exactly a leap.

And when they need to build brakes, suspensions, etc?

They need to develop a dealer and service network?

It’s more than a hop, skip and jump.

I predict they did this (like many car manufacturers) for the stock price bump.

Haven’t they figured out electric cars aren’t big money makers?

I predict the Sony car will either never happen or they’ll just partner with another car company to sell components.

Unfortunately, nothing I saw in the video was revolutionary.
Sure, they went from consumer electronics to consumer electronics, but at the time, the video game market was considered impossible to break into due to Nintendo's iron clad publishing contracts.

They did have to create a new distribution network as well as repair/service centers.

Any new market for a company means learning new lessons and hiring industry experts. They're sure going to have a hard time hiring automotive expertise for brakes and suspension in Japan :rolleyes: (They do need to be careful about who they hire for airbags though)

Electric cars aren't big money makers......yet. Seems to me all markets start that way.

I'm not saying they are going to be successful, not even close. I'm simply saying I'm not going to discount their effort before they've done anything.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Looks interesting. Kind of EQS-like. For all the nay-sayers out there, note that they’ve partnered with an established European contract auto manufacturer who has done work with companies like BMW, and I’m sure they’re working with major auto OEMs on key subsystems.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
Ideas from concept cars like this do sometimes make it to the market eventually even if the cars themselves seldom do. It will be interesting to see if Sony ideas start showing up before Apple ideas - Google will provide the electronics brains for Stelantis electrics, so this is part of a larger tend.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ideas from concept cars like this do sometimes make it to the market eventually even if the cars themselves seldom do. It will be interesting to see if Sony ideas start showing up before Apple ideas - Google will provide the electronics brains for Stelantis electrics, so this is part of a larger tend.
True.

But unless I missed it, what original ideas does it have?

Edit: I watched again and wrote down their ideas. Literally none are special and many have been on cars for a decade now.

List-
Touch screen
Voice command
Headrest speakers
Sensors and cameras
Auto park
Blind spot detection
Mobile app
Proximity unlock
Customizable themes

For a concept car it’s pretty tame.

Last edited:

blink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red MME+
Saw someone talking about Sony recently and it seems they keep updated on new tech and opportunities. I don't think they are doomed to fail, it does seem like some who are in charge at Sony somewhere know what they are doing, at least. It might be a good car. But, with any new EV, there might be problems. Ford had their problems too, with paak, regen down steep mountains and whatnot. I think there's a chance it'll work with Sony. I don't think they are going in entirely blind.

That being said, it could never compete with how the Mach E looks on the outside. Mach E is the way better looking car in my eyes. I'd rather get an Aptera than a Vision.

Mach E is overall my favorite EV, I even like it better than the Taycan (in terms of appearance).

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Don't know but to me all attempts at innovation can only be good for all EV owners.
Again, I agree. But in this case I don’t see any innovation.

Not sure we need yet another car company trying to copy Tesla.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
Again, I agree. But in this case I don’t see any innovation.

Not sure we need yet another car company trying to copy Tesla.
The more the merrier I say. Especially when it's a giant like Sony.

Not that long ago people laughed at the idea that Apple could compete with Motorola and Nokia, or that the Paypal guy could make cars...

Last edited:

Texas-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I'm all for the competition. I do wonder how many of these concepts will make it, but I think it pushes established automakers to do more. Hate Tesla if you want, but we (some of us, at least) wouldn't have Mach-Es in our garages right now if it weren't for them.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I remember some years ago when the pundits were saying “Why the hell does Apple want to make cell phones. It’s a commodity market with no money to be made.”
Lets see what Sony comes up with. I do agree that their first attempt seems a bit pedestrian.
Sponsored