Anyone else experiencing any EV hate after getting your Mach E?

leehinde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
Fortunately I've only had reactions in the curious to positive range. Phew. One of the curious ones was when I was at an EA charger outside a Walmart - just to play against stereotypes for a change.
Sponsored

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Got workers at my house this week and everyone is super interested in the "new Mustang" everyone thinks it's really cool.

acosmichippo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Select Dark Matter Gray
Country flag
I don't know if this was EV hate exactly (probably was in some way), but recently my wife was out shopping and in some parking lot a guy yelled at her:

"Nice car! You're lucky your husband let you take it out!"

She replied:

"And it was nice of your wife to let you out of the house this morning!"

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
I am sorry this happened to you, especially with your young daughter in the car. I don't know how I would have handled it but you seem to have done okay. One thing I would like to gently say in defense of "boomers NEVER like to hear you don't care" Well, I am a boomer, I drive a new MME, and I am always interested in people's opinions if they are really interested in conversation. I am not interested in their opinions if they are closed minded and just want to argue like this man wanted to do with you, regardless of his age. I'm in Idaho, a red state if there ever was one and some of the things ppl say here really alarm me. Maybe we need more EVs/MMEs on the road so they become more commonplace and then we'll be left alone because it won't be "threatening" the status quo.
To clarify, it's my experience that many boomers believe they are the smartest in the room and that their opinions need to be heard. If you suggest you don't value their very important opinion they are beyond offended. I took advantage of that to hit the gentlemen where I knew it would hurt, his own sense of self importance.

MikeM67

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MachE AWD XR (Man 8/25/2022 Del 10/25/2022)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I had a funny experience while waiting for my wife to come out of Walmart. First car drove past me in the parking lot and about broke their necks oogling the car then another went by and mouthed "nice car!" - about 30 seconds later a digerate in a beatup old mustang drove by and give me the largest middle finger I've ever seen :cool: ..he was clearly very upset.

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Knock wood, I've still not had any negative experiences. In fact yesterday I was in the bike shop with the Mach-E clearly visible out front. A customer at the counter said "Hey, whose Mustang is that?" When I said it was mine everyone in the shop wanted to talk about it. I showed the shop manager around the car - he was blown away.

So far so good...

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
Knock wood, I've still not had any negative experiences. In fact yesterday I was in the bike shop with the Mach-E clearly visible out front. A customer at the counter said "Hey, whose Mustang is that?" When I said it was mine everyone in the shop wanted to talk about it. I showed the shop manager around the car - he was blown away.

So far so good...
My wife and I have gotten this, she hates attention and gets embarrassed. She is like I had people banging on a coffee shop window at me then race out to ogle the car.

One boy in the school pickup line screams like we are Elvis when we pull up, the kid is 8 and its great. I saw him at a Birthday and he asked if he could see the car, he spent 15min just sitting in car using the screen and exploring it.

TigerEye104

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e premium IBM
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I have only had my Mach e for a couple months now but I had the Ionic 5 for a year and have gotten nothing but compliments and questions about it.

One strange question I keep getting asked is "Is your gas tank really on the front of your car?" to which I reply "Yep it sure is."

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
We have a lane on main route into city of Nottingham in UK which is for buses, bikes, taxis & EVs, some purposely veer into this lane as I pass them but probably receive a bus lane violation fine for their trouble 😁

One motorcyclist ranted at the side of me at the lights presumably - because I couldn’t hear him - about using a bus lane given that the moron can’t read road signs, I think you call such people retards across the pond - I gave him no eye contact or even acknowledged he was there which must have really p*ssed him off😂

Most admire & ask questions.

Oh, sure, there are the idiots who ask “is it a Jaguar” or worse “is it a Tesla” 🤬

I try to be very polite and do explain to Jag man, Jaguar is cat Mustang is American feral horse which is typically small and lightly built and point to the badge, and to Tesla man I simply ask that he just looks at this thing of beauty made by a car firm with a motoring heritage!

A young daughter of one person whose car I was examining for work wanted photographing in driver’s seat!!

People approach all the time admiring and asking questions.

One oil burning caveman asked pointed questions whilst I was at a charge point vainly intending to satisfy his Mistaken beliefs that EVs are rubbish until, paraphrasing for the purpose of this post, , I told him to go away in short sexually jerky movements😁

I notice the people who tell me the most about how EVs won’t take off, the infrastructure is not good enough, they’re impractical etc are those who know the least🙄

Love the ‘Stang!

sgriffin130

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Red Mach E- C/T Pkg, '23 Escape PHEV/Prem Pkg
Occupation
Dentist(retired)
Country flag
I am sorry this happened to you, especially with your young daughter in the car. I don't know how I would have handled it but you seem to have done okay. One thing I would like to gently say in defense of "boomers NEVER like to hear you don't care" Well, I am a boomer, I drive a new MME, and I am always interested in people's opinions if they are really interested in conversation. I am not interested in their opinions if they are closed minded and just want to argue like this man wanted to do with you, regardless of his age. I'm in Idaho, a red state if there ever was one and some of the things ppl say here really alarm me. Maybe we need more EVs/MMEs on the road so they become more commonplace and then we'll be left alone because it won't be "threatening" the status quo.
I'm a BOOMer too with a MME and a new Escape PHEV. I was standing in line at the county clerk's office chatting with a Tesla owner further down the line about the benefits of EV's when the boomer behind me interrupted to say, "Wait 'til you have to buy a new battery in two years!"
Needless to say, I had an "informative" discussion with him about the longevity, recycling and repurposing of EV batteries

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
In 25k mi of driving EVs the worst reaction I've seen was a passing vehicle give a thumbs down while sitting at a charger....or maybe he just didn't like the Bolts on either side of me. :)

More than anything, driving an EV has taught me not to stereotype. I've had some good conversations with dudes who look like ZZ Top driving rusty pickups in rural Virginia. I'd like to think they came away with the same impression. Driving an EV doesn't have to be a political hotbutton, though our politicians are sure trying to make it one it seems.

PEldridge

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach E Premium awd ext range
Country flag
I'm a BOOMer too with a MME and a new Escape PHEV. I was standing in line at the county clerk's office chatting with a Tesla owner further down the line about the benefits of EV's when the boomer behind me interrupted to say, "Wait 'til you have to buy a new battery in two years!"
Needless to say, I had an "informative" discussion with him about the longevity, recycling and repurposing of EV batteries
Education a little bit at a time, one person at a time. In a couple years I expect we won't get these questions or criticisms. Glad you had a chance to talk to the uninformed guy.

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium 4X, ready for the Macan EV Turbo
Country flag
Tonight, I parked at IKEA near the pick up area, right by an older Chevy Silverado.

As I get out of the car to open the trunk, the driver from the Silverado, fella in his late 20s, comes to me.
- “Is this a Mustang SUV?”, as he walks to the car, staring at the pony on the front and then around, looking from all the angles.
- “Sure is!”
- He peeks inside the open driver door; “And it’s an EV?” he asked in awe.
- “Yep, fully electric.”
- “Man that’s a cool car”, he takes another look and heads back to his truck, “really nice car!”.

I’ve had a few very friendly exchanges and enthusiastic comments about the car over the past 8 months, but this guy’s mind was blown. 😀
Sponsored