Mb9182

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
I’m using the included charger, with the 15/40 Nema plug. I was under the impression that I would be getting 20 miles per hour for charging (my Tesla got 30/31).

Seems to be charging at closer to 10-14 miles per hour. I charged 45% to 100% last night, it took almost 8 hours to add 85 miles.

Is it because I’m charging to 100%? I used to only charge my Tesla to 80% and that would put me at about 280 miles of range.
Sponsored

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
I’m using the included charger, with the 15/40 Nema plug. I was under the impression that I would be getting 20 miles per hour for charging (my Tesla got 30/31).

Seems to be charging at closer to 10-14 miles per hour. I charged 45% to 100% last night, it took almost 8 hours to add 85 miles.

Is it because I’m charging to 100%? I used to only charge my Tesla to 80% and that would put me at about 280 miles of range.
I believe you mean NEMA 14-50 - you have some numbers mixed up there. Also to confirm, what size breaker is protecting this circuit? Should be at least 40A breaker. 50 would be best.

The charger is a 32A charger, giving max 25mi range. That with the decreased temperatures in the region could also be your culprit.

OP
OP

Mb9182

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
Haha, I can never remember the numbers for those plugs.

I had a 50 amp breaker installed. Worked fine with the Tesla. Maybe the weather…

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
If you are using the included Ford charger you will only get 28 amps from it. Multiply 28 times your voltage 220 230 or 240 and divide by 1000 to get your actual KW rate. Now divide your battery capacity by that number (68 or 88) and divide again by 0.9 and that is your true charge time in hours from 0 to full.

Although it’s rated for 32 the max I have seen out of it is 28 AMPs.

Someone on FB had the same issue, it turns out her utility power was at 220v so she was only getting 28*220=6.16 KWH. My moms house is 236v so I get 6.61 KWH there. Less 10% for charger/inverter losses and that’s 5.5 kWh and 5.95 kWh respectively.

A permanent 32 amp or 40 or 48 will give you more for sure.

Last edited:

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag

I wouldn’t go by miles per hour instead look at battery percentage per hour.

More importantly I’ve found that last 10% of the battery, from 90% to 100%, can take almost twice as long as going from 80% to 90%. The car ramps down the charging speed as you get closer to full, it’s not constant.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
If you are using the included Ford charger you will only get 28 amps from it. Multiply 28 times your voltage 220 230 or 240 and divide by 1000 to get your actual KW rate. Now divide your battery capacity by that number (68 or 88) and divide again by 0.9 and that is your true charge time in hours from 0 to full.

Someone on FB had the same issue, it turns out her utility power was at 220v so she was only getting 28*220=6.16 KWH. My moms house is 236v so I get 6.61 KWH there. Less 10% for charger/inverter losses and that’s 5.5 kWh and 5.95 kWh respectively.

Correct. Rated 32, I put my meter on it, showed 28 amps.

Lady Anne

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MACH-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Another question or issue with home charger. I’ve go a JuiceBox 40 installed in our garage, the issue or question that I have with the EVcharger is a heat issue. The temperature of the AC plug between the outlet and charger seems a bit warm at 110-115 degrees. The temp at the AC panel is fine as does the temp appear to be good at the wire connections on the back side of the plug. The wire from the panel is 6 gauge and the breaker and outlet are both rated @50 amp. All connections are good! Any one else notice any unusually heat issues with your AC connector to the charger? By the way I measure 38-39 amps on both hot legs at the AC panel.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

A great point. We're getting 248 from the wall, per my Enel X (JuiceBox app). 248 is almost 13% more than 220. If 220 was getting 20 miles, 248 would get 22.6.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Another question or issue with home charger. I’ve go a JuiceBox 40 installed in our garage, the issue or question that I have with the EVcharger is a heat issue. The temperature of the AC plug between the outlet and charger seems a bit warm at 110-115 degrees. The temp at the AC panel is fine as does the temp appear to be good at the wire connections on the back side of the plug. The wire from the panel is 6 gauge and the breaker and outlet are both rated @50 amp. All connections are good! Any one else notice any unusually heat issues with your AC connector to the charger? By the way I measure 38-39 amps on both hot legs at the AC panel.
If that point gets warm, you may have a small resistance dissipating heat. Check the surfaces of the plug and the outlet. If there is some contaminant such as oxide or sulfide, use a wire brush to polish them. Try a paper nail file inside the outlet contacts. Using an electric contact cleaner spray also helps. It that doesn't help, check the wire connections at the outlet. The last cause may be at the plug. If it was wired locally, check the connections.

Edit: I have a JuiceBox Level 2 EVSE , too, but I built mine from a Kickstarter kit in 2014, and it is rated for 16 kW. Since 2014 I had mine set for 7.2 kW with 30 A on a 40 A circuit. Then in January 2015 GM presented the Chevy Bolt EV which accepts 7.2 kW power ( I guessed the future by chance). Presently I am rewiring for 40 A on a 50 A circuit, so I can use my Juicebox up to 9.6 kW for when I buy my own Mach-E in the near future.

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I wouldn’t go by miles per hour instead look at battery percentage per hour.

More importantly I’ve found that last 10% of the battery, from 90% to 100%, can take almost twice as long as going from 80% to 90%. The car ramps down the charging speed as you get closer to full, it’s not constant.
I'll repeat what @hybrid2bev wrote and expand.
% of battery / hour is MEASURED
kW / hour is MEASURED
kWh rate is MEASURED

miles / hour is ESTIMATED. This will always be based on the current guess of the guess-o-meter (GOM). It will vary with driving style, last trip taken, and temperature. It is inherently inaccurate.

What do gas pumps tell you? It isn't miles of gasoline, it is gallons. KwH is the equivalent.
What does a gas gauge show you? Fraction of tank full. % battery is the equivalent.

y2kprofesor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford Mach-e
Country flag

hey can yo take a picture of the interior of you electrical box just want to know how you connected the wires for nema plug.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I think that is probably normal, although if you're concerned you could replace the nema 14-50 outlet with an "industrial grade" one. I don't think that will make a difference, but it has been argued that the "regular" home depot and amazon.com versions don't have full size receiving pins so there is less surface contact area than there is supposed to be.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I wouldn’t consider 115F abnormal, especially if it’s uniform (one side not noticeably different than the other.

OP
OP

Mb9182

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
I'll repeat what @hybrid2bev wrote and expand.
% of battery / hour is MEASURED
kW / hour is MEASURED
kWh rate is MEASURED

miles / hour is ESTIMATED. This will always be based on the current guess of the guess-o-meter (GOM). It will vary with driving style, last trip taken, and temperature. It is inherently inaccurate.

What do gas pumps tell you? It isn't miles of gasoline, it is gallons. KwH is the equivalent.
What does a gas gauge show you? Fraction of tank full. % battery is the equivalent.

That makes sense. So just based on the three charges I’ve done and what the app tells me, I’m getting about 6-6.35% of battery per hour. So at this rate it would take me close to 15 hours to go from 0 to full charge.

Sound about right for the included charger?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
That makes sense. So just based on the three charges I’ve done and what the app tells me, I’m getting about 6-6.35% of battery per hour. So at this rate it would take me close to 15 hours to go from 0 to full charge.

Sound about right for the included charger?
yes
Sponsored