JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
All Mach E come with the B&O sound system.
The Select model will devoid of those sound options. Quiet it will be.
Nope: From the ordering guide:
Ford Mustang Mach-E 'Audio wizardry' with optional engine noise / sound in Mach-E cabin Annotation 2020-08-09 185221

Only standard on Premium and First Edition.

(My Mach-E will NOT have the B&O sound system.)
Sponsored

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag

On a side note to clarify: the GT is also to have B&O standard. The GT just wasn't addressed in this ordering guide.

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
What DaveRuns wants is the ability to turn the sound off forever, not just for the current drive. Sometimes software designers or automobile engineers think they know best and make the default setting for a feature to be in a certain state after every cycle of a car having been on and turned off. See for example some Stop/Start ICE engine designs. Also, some lane keeping warning designs reset to on for each new trip when the driver would prefer the system off.

So having the option to turn the sound off isn't the same as having the option to turn the sound off.
All of your settings will be saved under your personal profile for the vehicle and will be preset every time you drive. So if you want no sound and blue interior lights then that's what you get.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
An electric motor should generate no noise at all. Electrical devices generate noises due to the reduction gears. That is the whine you hear, which gets higher with revolutions, like a turbine.

I prefer no noise at all. We have plenty of audio contamination, and I prefer to listen to music than any fake engines.

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
All Mach E come with the B&O sound system.
The Select model will devoid of those sound options. Quiet it will be.
Sorry, B&O is NOT in the Select. Look at the order guide. But all versions will get the engine sound.

Nikos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Must GT, 21MME AWD, 22 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Country flag
About those piped in sound options is, if I remember correctly is that not only you get the sound but also you put the vehicle into different state of performance. Such as you alter the way the vehicle is using the battery (energy), how the motors are motivated and how regenerative energy is returned to the battery. It is not only the sound you get out of the sound system.
So, if you want quiet operation, you get maximum efficiency in brake regeneration and motor operation. Unbridled means motors and regenerative energy are utilized more aggressively and consequently efficiency is lowered. It will be fun to try it. Who would say no to that.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Two different types of sound: external and internal. The external sound is mandated by law and cannot be turned off. If the car is in "drive" or in reverse there is the sound -- up to a certain speed. In the EU, that speed is 19 Km/h (12 mph). In the USA that speed in 18.6 mph (30 km/h). This is designed to warn people a vehicle is coming -- bicyclists, vision impaired, etc. The exact sound is not set by law, it's up to the manufacturer.

The internal sound is another deal altogether. It's not mandated by law at all. As engine sizes were reduced to meet CAFE standards, and power output increased in those somewhat smaller engines, some drivers have had problems gauging acceleration (etc.) in vehicles with quieter engines. Hence, many ICE vehicles have augmented engine sound. My wife's 2020 Raptor is like that. In the case of the Raptor, you can't tell it's not all real engine noise. The blending is successful.

The MME engine sounds are not a V8 sound (The "description" is in one of those articles) but a combination of sounds that is unique. In addition that sound changes from mode to mode (whisper, engaged, unbridled), and there is the "off" position.

pb3

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKX, Toyota 4Runner, MME Premium AWD ER (order accepted!)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I just want the ability to change the sound. Like sound sample packs... make it sounds like a space ship or an airplane... different types of vehicles, or no sound at all.
I want the Jetsons noise.

Also the ability to turn everything off.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
Two different types of sound: external and internal. The external sound is mandated by law and cannot be turned off. If the car is in "drive" or in reverse there is the sound -- up to a certain speed. In the EU, that speed is 19 Km/h (12 mph). In the USA that speed in 18.6 mph (30 km/h). This is designed to warn people a vehicle is coming -- bicyclists, vision impaired, etc. The exact sound is not set by law, it's up to the manufacturer.
I have noticed in my Clarity that the external noise stops when the car is stopped in drive gear. When I pull into my garage with the windows open I can hear it clearly, and it does stop when the car stops. Recently I turned onto my street and there was somebody walking a dog past my house. They did not see me and I stopped to wait. They took their time messing with the dog while standing in front of my driveway, they obviously did not hear me. I debated honking my horn or saying something to let them know I was right behind them waiting, but they finally moved on and I'm not sure they even heard me pulling into the driveway after they moved.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I have noticed in my Clarity that the external noise stops when the car is stopped in drive gear. When I pull into my garage with the windows open I can hear it clearly, and it does stop when the car stops. Recently I turned onto my street and there was somebody walking a dog past my house. They did not see me and I stopped to wait. They took their time messing with the dog while standing in front of my driveway, they obviously did not hear me. I debated honking my horn or saying something to let them know I was right behind them waiting, but they finally moved on and I'm not sure they even heard me pulling into the driveway after they moved.
Were they a retired airline pilot? J/K but those of us in that category do have hearing "issues". ;)

Or maybe just not paying attention.

Seriously, the rule is in full effect come September in the USA and is already in effect in the EU countries. There is a rather technical set of rules for how loud the sound needs to be. It starts with the dba equivalent to your refrigerator running or a normal conversation and escalates from there.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Nope: From the ordering guide:
Ford Mustang Mach-E 'Audio wizardry' with optional engine noise / sound in Mach-E cabin Annotation 2020-08-09 185221

On the Select it will be only the 6 speakers system instead of 10