malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
I would like to see him adjust for some of the variables he mentioned, e.g. tires. Also even though he seemed impartial, I would really like to do one of these tests blinded (although not sure how to do that)starting out with two cars that have not been put through the test before, doing it a few times. There is some learning/finessing involved on the part of the driver and perhaps the vehicle itself. MME might not have done as well on his test as the MY but viewing it, all I keep thinking was that it sure looks sharper —both inside and out! I’ll still take the MME.
Tires wont make a difference on this test, the roller is simulating zero traction at those wheels. The tire that has grip is on dry asphalt so it has good traction.
Sponsored

Jim Glass

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2019 Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That would be true if there were 4 motors, but there are only 2. That means it’s just like any ICE vehicle with an open differential. It has to rely on traction control to apply brakes to the wheel that’s slipping. Most similar systems (ICE and BEV) perform similarly in this test. You have to get into more robust 4WD systems geared for off-road to perform substantially better.
Remember, it's all wheel drive not 4 wheel drive. I have no doubt my Audi would have had no problem with it's different system and just one motor.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
Regenerative braking happens at the motors, not the wheels, so it wouldn't help with torque vectoring. (not that it would help in a test like this anyway since there's no kinetic energy to recapture)
Thank you for the explanation.

OP
OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Remember, it's all wheel drive not 4 wheel drive. I have no doubt my Audi would have had no problem with it's different system and just one motor.
Right. There are plenty of vehicles with different AWD and 4WD systems that would do much better on this test. There are also plenty of vehicles that would do much worse. The test results are exactly what I would expect from the MME's AWD system that is not designed for off-road.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Right. There are plenty of vehicles with different AWD and 4WD systems that would do much better on this test. There are also plenty of vehicles that would do much worse. The test results are exactly what I would expect from the MME's AWD system that is not designed for off-road.
We also forget, this is Ford's first EV, Tesla has been at it for over ten years now. Ford will still make adjustments once they get more real world testing. Considering the difference in experience in software dev, Ford did a good job.

OP
OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We also forget, this is Ford's first EV, Tesla has been at it for over ten years now. Ford will still make adjustments once they get more real world testing. Considering the difference in experience in software dev, Ford did a good job.
I don't think Ford will need to spend time on improving their traction control algorithms. The result of this test shows that the MME will do just fine in the conditions for which it was designed. I hope they spend those development resources on things like improving the efficiency and charging curve instead.

SteveUk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache with crap keys
Country flag
Thanks for the explanations re what L is.

Sounds like it's there for people who don't realise it isn't needed any more!

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
In these types of total traction loss tests EVs (without 4 separate motors) will not perform as well vehicles with mechanical differentials (Subaru, Audi Quattro etc), since they depend on the computer to detect slip and then use the brakes to simulate differentials. In real world use the EV will regain some of what is lost due to the weight being lower in the vehicle.

Also, I don't think ford will make the traction control algorithms more aggressive, I think they want to allow for a little tire slip and spinning to let the back end get a little loose and maintain the "Mustang" branding.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the explanations re what L is.

Sounds like it's there for people who don't realise it isn't needed any more!
It's more for people who don't use the 1pd mode.

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag
For electric cars that should be able to send power to specific wheel I would say I’m not impressed that both models couldn’t get unstuck from the 3 wheel slip test at the end.
For both cars it looked like a traction issue because the rollers place the "slip"wheels a little further off the ground, so there's disproportionately low mass on the wheel with grip. If the front wheels with grip had been on equally tall platforms, I think both cars would have gotten unstuck. But it's a fair test since it takes suspension travel into account.

OP
OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's more for people who don't use the 1pd mode.
Yes, in fact, the L button does nothing if you're in 1PD mode.

Each of the drive modes (Whisper, Engage, Unbridled) has a preset amount of regenerative braking that's applied when you lift off the accelerator. If you want that regen to be stronger, but you don't want it to be so strong that it brings you to a stop, you would put it in L. That's all it does.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I dont see why Ford couldn't add in the future a Snow/Mud mode and a Drift mode. Like this it would please everyone. I know you could probably do the drift mode by turning off certain settings but it would be simple to do and just add them to the other 3 modes.

DaveHsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E on order
Occupation
manager
Country flag
You never really "need" the L setting. But it's there in case you want to manually engage it.
I wonder if Ford could change the traction control behavior when in L, to prioritize getting unstuck in the snow or mud. If so, I assume we could receive it in an over-the-air update.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I dont see why Ford couldn't add in the future a Snow/Mud mode and a Drift mode. Like this it would please everyone. I know you could probably do the drift mode by turning off certain settings but it would be simple to do and just add them to the other 3 modes.
Seems to me, given some of the reviewer reports, it already has a drift mode: just give it a bit of throttle coming out of a turn.
Sponsored