Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mme awd std range
Occupation
EES
Country flag
1200 miles, AWD std range premium . I hear a clunking from the front left axle that goes with speed under acceleration with a right hand turn. Sounded like a cv joint to me, so i brought it back and the Dealer said I need a new axle, but they are backorder. Am I an isolated event? Any idea how long till parts become availible?
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
1200 miles, AWD std range premium . I hear a clunking from the front left axle that goes with speed under acceleration with a right hand turn. Sounded like a cv joint to me, so i brought it back and the Dealer said I need a new axle, but they are backorder.
Bummer!

Am I an isolated event?
First I've heard of this issue

Any idea how long till parts become availible?
Some parts are quickly available, especially if your dealer puts a priority on the order. Others are taking a while to find and get shipped in. Good luck!

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
That's the first I've heard of it, but it's still early days for our cars.

I have a noticeable tip-in clunk during acceleration - but mine's RWD so it's coming from the back, and it's just a feeling, not really a noise. Mine feels less like a CV joint and more like gear lash, which makes me think it's intentional.

Trick.Mach-E

First Name
Trick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old Raptor, Mach-E4x, New Raptor, F-250, Taycan.
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Country flag
1200 miles, AWD std range premium . I hear a clunking from the front left axle that goes with speed under acceleration with a right hand turn. Sounded like a cv joint to me, so i brought it back and the Dealer said I need a new axle, but they are backorder. Am I an isolated event? Any idea how long till parts become availible?
I am hearing the same clunk as you describe but for me is drivers side turning left. I can only describe the sound as a bad CV joint (anyone who has owned or been around a 1980's Audi or Honda can identify the sound of a bad CV joint)!

The boots are good, no grease is being thrown and while it was random at first (but always drivers side to the left) this past weekend it has been making more noise than usual.

We just hit 10k on the Mach-E (3200 of those miles came from a 6 day trip from CA to TX and back) and we haven't had any other issues so far. I guess its time to have the dealer look at it.

Did the dealer replace your axle or is it still on back order?

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Funny this popped up. My FE did this before I sold it. Hadn't had a chance to take it in yet so my guess is the dealer that bought it will fix it.

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Ok wow, this thread just caught my eye. Had a strange sound that sounds like described here. Happened first time last week, and then again this morning. Same exact turn leaving my neighborhood onto a main road... turning right!

Anyone have an idea what exactly the issue with the axle is? I'm mainly wondering if it should be safe to drive for a little while. Taking the family on our first long road trip with the car in a couple days.
Would love to just pop by the service dept. and have them check it out, but just worried about what bojangling may ensue due to having aftermarket wheels / tire size on the car. So trying to find out more here first.

They’re trying to find replacement and are hoping to repair later this week ?.
In for updates!

How has yours been @Trick.Mach-E

Tarynem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Premium (pending)
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Goodness @ all these responses

CaPhil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach e Premium SR, Star White
Occupation
Retired engineer
Country flag
I have what I would describe as a dull clunking sound at speeds of 20-35 MPH. It sounds like the right front but can't be sure. I don't notice it on a slow roll or at higher speeds. Also, the sound isn't associated with turning the wheels or with acceleration.

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 GTPE
Country flag
I’ve got this same issue. Sound is coming from the right hand side front wheel arch. It’s present on every left and right turn at slow speeds only. It’s going into the dealership on Thursday to be checked. I’ve attached a recording of the sound.

Sounds like I need to prepare myself for the drive shaft being replaced… massive bummer.

Attachments

MurphyDog

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yup, I seem to have this sound as well. Very noticeable when making a sharp left turn (like a U turn). Not as noticeable, but still there when making a hard right turn.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Around 4,300 miles, FE AWD, I am getting an increasingly repeatable clunking noise from somewhere front, on a right turn of more than 90 degrees onto an angled road. Been meaning to see if I can record the sound.

Lukeh02

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
14’ Taurus (21’ Mustang ME)
Country flag
On June 28 I dropped off my FE to dealer for Software Update (Not available OTA) and my rear washer fluid was leaking inside the back window of the car when used. Software Update was done within a few days (app advised me of that) but when they fixed the washer fluid line they had to remove the spoiler. The spoiler had "one time use screws" and they had to wait a couple weeks for the spoiler to be delivered and installed. My car was there for a total of 3 weeks.

I got the call that it was all ready to go. I picked up the car and looked over the rear spoiler and the one side didn't line up, the service manager looked at it and said that I could stop in and have their main service guy look at it and fix it. (I was fine with that, its plastic and bends)

So I get in my car, start driving in the lot to exit and feel/hear a weird noise in the front as the tire rotates (my car had 0 miles put on during the 3 weeks it was there)
so I'm thinking it'll rub off as I drive away, its just from sitting. So as I drive, I can tell its not going away, I pull right back in to dealership to have them look at it. Service guy gets in with me and he noticed the same thing as we drove. We get back to service department, he checks it out.

Service manager comes out to me and says something like "I'm sorry, I don't know why or how, but you have a broken axel. I don't know how long I'll take to order the part, but we'll do our best to get one here and have it fixed"

My car has 4,274 miles on it.. (They did give me a loner car)

My car was there for a month total. They fixed everything under warranty.

Since I've had it back, I've had no issues.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Yup, I seem to have this sound as well. Very noticeable when making a sharp left turn (like a U turn). Not as noticeable, but still there when making a hard right turn.
This is unfortunate. I typically park on the street and many of my drives begin with me making a very sharp left turn (U-turn) to go the other direction, just like you mentioned. I have not experienced this, knock on wood. About 3,300 miles so far.
Sponsored