Sully

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium ER AWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I have been following this forum for at least a month. Everyone seems helpful and I have learned A LOT with a lot to learn. This is our first electric vehicle of any sort. I am hoping someone can offer more advice.

Long story short...

I suspect this is the issue with my MME (Premium ER AWD). It seems to be the same issue as stated in previous posts - noise, turning out into streets, out of parking spots, etc. I took it to the dealership two weeks ago. The technician drove it (actually told me they drove a slow figure eight with it) and heard the noise.

The technician proceeded to look at the vehicle but couldn't find any cause. They acknowledged that it wasn't a normal noise (my assumption). They told me they didn't dig too deep. They gave me the car back and the dealership placed a call to an engineer for next steps/possible causes, but I am still waiting to hear back from the dealership/engineer. I keep calling the service advisor every few days, just to make sure they are following up.

Winter is coming (snow predicted at the end of the week). I am not sure if this is the issue, but if it is, I don't want issues with the winter driving.

I am tempted to pass along this thread to the service advisor and technician for them read, but I don't want to step on toes and be "THAT" customer who thinks they know what the issue is after reading a few internet posts.

My questions:
1. Any one have advice on how to get a response from anyone to confirm/deny the issue?

2. Will this cause issues driving in the winter - snow over a few inches - if it is this issue and goes unfixed? (I don't have any in depth knowledge of EVs)
Sponsored

jjwolf

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium 4X, M3, Yukon
Country flag
I assume it's a standard CV joint issue. In the 90s, it seemed like every Honda Civic in existence made this noise and I never saw Honda wheels bouncing down the highway. The dealer (service manager and mechanic) both said it was safe to drive on. In my case, it's easily reproducible and they agree it needs an axle replacement (which presumably includes both CV joints). Still waiting for the part to show up and driving the Mach-E in the meanwhile.

Sully

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium ER AWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I assume it's a standard CV joint issue. In the 90s, it seemed like every Honda Civic in existence made this noise and I never saw Honda wheels bouncing down the highway. The dealer (service manager and mechanic) both said it was safe to drive on. In my case, it's easily reproducible and they agree it needs an axle replacement (which presumably includes both CV joints). Still waiting for the part to show up and driving the Mach-E in the meanwhile.
Since I was told it was safe to drive, I have been driving it. I probably wouldn't be impatient if they could determine what the cause is - this issue or something else. Given the state of pretty much everything right now, I fully expect to have to wait for parts - I am okay with this - no matter what the cause.

ChrisSJR

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Space White RWD ER (Spark-E), 2004 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Has this issue only been seen on AWD Mach-Es or has some RWD cars also been affected?

Trick.Mach-E

First Name
Trick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old Raptor, Mach-E4x, New Raptor, F-250, Taycan.
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Country flag
Has this issue only been seen on AWD Mach-Es or has some RWD cars also been affected?
I don't recall anyone in this thread or the few other threads mention rear axles. It appears to be a front axle issue.

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
1200 miles, AWD std range premium . I hear a clunking from the front left axle that goes with speed under acceleration with a right hand turn. Sounded like a cv joint to me, so i brought it back and the Dealer said I need a new axle, but they are backorder. Am I an isolated event? Any idea how long till parts become availible?
Very strange as of a couple weeks ago I've started hearing a noise when making a right turn pulling out onto my street. At first I thought maybe it was some camping gear I had in the frunk shifting as I turned, but I have since emptied the frunk and still hear it. Reading through these posts and it sounds to me like a common problem, and something that may very well turn into another recall notice.

I received my recall notice for windshield sealant issue last week via regular mail, and was advised per the notice to book an appointment any time after November 23rd. I'll definitely have to add this to the list and get them to look into it. The other issue I have is some break shudder felt in the steering wheel when coming to an abrupt stop. There was a service notice related to that as well which I've already printed as well.

All in all looks like Ford is going to be extremely busy! Hopefully parts are available!

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I've got an appointment next Monday (Nov 15th) for my dealership to look at mine. Will follow-up with what they say.

Reactions: Nav

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Can you guys be a little more specific about the noise you’re hearing? Is like a big loud thunk? Or more of a rattling noise like gravel in the wheel well? That’s what mine sounds like. It only occurs when making a sharp left turn.

jjwolf

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium 4X, M3, Yukon
Country flag
Can you guys be a little more specific about the noise you’re hearing? Is like a big loud thunk? Or more of a rattling noise like gravel in the wheel well? That’s what mine sounds like. It only occurs when making a sharp left turn.
It's the "clickclickclick" that you hear when CV joints are going bad. Easiest to reproduce when turning with a little power. For me, it's my left-front.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
It's the "clickclickclick" that you hear when CV joints are going bad. Easiest to reproduce when turning with a little power. For me, it's my left-front.
Dammit. That’s what I’ve got.

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 GTPE
Country flag
I’ve recorded the sound I am getting and posted it on this thread… page 2 I think.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Well . . . I think I am hearing the same noise. I have a little over 20,000 miles but this started a few months ago. Mine is going in this weekend for a late 10,000 mile service and I am going to ask. I think a friend here @GoGoGadgetMachE has or had the same issue.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Spoke with service adviser at my dealership briefly this evening and it seems they are having to replace some part/parts of my front axle. He was very brief and is supposed to give me another call in the AM after he has spoken with the technician to get all/accurate info. He did mention that a part is on "emergency" order. Apparently they're a bit shorthanded and busy at the moment....

I'll give another update once I know exactly what they're replacing.
Sponsored

Reactions: Nav