Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Ever touched your brake rotors after a short drive? And burnt your finger pretty good because those things were hot as lava? Or had a tire catch fire from the heat of a stuck brake caliper?
That’s a lot of energy being wasted as heat with friction brakes. Turning that back into electricity and putting it back into the battery isn’t going to be 100% efficient, but it is quite significant.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I know ice and ev are different but driving in L wont hurt the car a highway speeds?
"L" in the Mach-E is not "Low gear"; in fact the Mach-E has a fixed gear ratio (ie single speed) which is one of the many reasons that maintenance is less on a BEV. "L" just means "max regen", which feels a lot like low gear in a regular car.

As for why regen matters think about riding a bike. From a stop to get up to speed you have to pedal a lot harder than when you're just coasting along at a constant speed. To slow down that extra energy has to be dissipated. The same goes for the car, except that it weights 5000 pounds. As for regen and how it works, it essentially turns the electric motor into a generator and uses the spinning wheels to generate electricity. Since it is generating electricity it essentially puts resistance on the wheels to slow down. At a certain slow speed (< 5mph) then there is not enough generated to slow down so the car uses the friction brakes.

The Mach-E has a scheme called "blended braking", which means that when you hit the brake pedal it first engages regen, and then the friction brakes if regen won't slow you enough. So if you hit the brakes harder than the regen can slow the car down it also engages the friction brakes (which waste the energy). For this reason enabling 1PD can be more efficient: if you hit the brakes too hard you will be wasting energy.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I hear a kinds of hype about braking regen but I can't wrap my head around how this could really produce enough to make a difference.

Is regen really returning enough e eegy to matter?

Should I change to one pedal or a different driving mode to get better regen?

Is there some hidden benefit to regen I'm missing?
If you Google this subject, you'll find lots of information, not specific to the Mach-E, regarding regeneration and what it can save.

Haven't played much with the Mach-E in this regard, partly because there is no good measuring of regeneration. With our 2010 Fusion Hybrid, and our 2018 Fusion Energi, there was all sorts of feedback each trip as to how much energy was from regeneration, and what the efficiency of the trip was. This car is very lacking in that regard.

In short, when you come off the accelerator, the car can start regenerating through multiple methods. I like using L when I'm getting off the highway, it slows you on the ramp at a nice rate. I don't use 1 pedal driving, nor does my wife. Most of our stops are 100% on the brake coach.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Regen captures energy that would normally be converted to waste heat by the friction brakes. That energy is substantial. You do not need to do anything different. Drive in any mode you please. Regen exists in all modes. If you are interested in maximizing regen then drive in Engage mode until you get consistent 100% Brake Coach scores. Then you can switch to any drive mode you want and you will still get those same benefits of recaptured energy.

well said.

most of the studies I've seen suggest that in-town stop n go with good regen braking and not much mechanical will result in 10-20% range extension versus what you would get at same average speed and the same route without regen.

fortunately the MME blends in regen with both 1-p and moderate braking before engaging the mechanical pads.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
This points out one thing I find is really missing on the Mach E instrument panel. Every other BEV out hybrid I’ve driven has some indicator of instantaneous power use vs regeneration. I really wish the Mach E showed this in every driving mode.

Not at all. Remember that the Mach E has a single speed transmission. L is only different from D when you are decelerating.
What does L do if you already drive with 1 pedal? Does it just brake even more? So if I’m already in unbridled, which is the most aggressive slow down, putting L will do it even more aggressive? So whisper with L would be similar to unbridled without L?

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
The GT models do. I’m really hoping that Ford realizes that this basic information shouldn’t be withheld from non-GT owners and that we get it in a future update.
A future software update with a new and improved power meter for all version MME’s would be a good thing. Right @Ford Motor Company ? ;)

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
What does L do if you already drive with 1 pedal? Does it just brake even more? So if I’m already in unbridled, which is the most aggressive slow down, putting L will do it even more aggressive? So whisper with L would be similar to unbridled without L?
In your case (Unbridled, 1PD), L adds nothing.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
In your case (Unbridled, 1PD), L adds nothing.
If I’m in whisper, would 1PD with L make braking similar to unbridled but allow me to keep acceleration the same as whisper? I like unbridled for the 1PD slowing force, but prefer Whisper.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If I’m in whisper, would 1PD with L make braking similar to unbridled but allow me to keep acceleration the same as whisper? I like unbridled for the 1PD slowing force, but prefer Whisper.
I haven’t tried that, but I think yes. Others may have better info.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I haven’t tried that, but I think yes. Others may have better info.
As quoted in the 2021 manual it doesn't sound like it, but the author of the manual may not actually have known for sure:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Bake regen questions. Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 3.13.14 PM

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As quoted in the 2021 manual it doesn't sound like it, but the author of the manual may not actually have known for sure:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Bake regen questions. Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 3.13.14 PM
It sounds like (and I think it’s been mentioned by others) that L is pretty much a quick way to switch 1PD off and on.
The amount of regen braking from L will not exceed what you would get with 1PD in the mode you’re in.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It sounds like (and I think it’s been mentioned by others) that L is pretty much a quick way to switch 1PD off and on.
The amount of regen braking from L will not exceed what you would get with 1PD in the mode you’re in.
That's what I was thinking, too.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I hear a kinds of hype about braking regen but I can't wrap my head around how this could really produce enough to make a difference.

Is regen really returning enough e eegy to matter?

Should I change to one pedal or a different driving mode to get better regen?

Is there some hidden benefit to regen I'm missing?
The easiest way to know that it makes a difference is this:

BEVs are more efficient in the city than on the highway.

Energy lost to wind resistance is greater than the energy that regen doesn’t recapture.
Sponsored