Skierick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium AWD, 2017 BMW 440 Convertible
Country flag
We’re finally getting some snow in Colorado and I haven’t had a chance to drive my AWD EX in the snow yet. Any ideas on the best drive mode to use for snow or other tips? I’m running on the tires that came with car. Thanks!
Sponsored

Tyldum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
In adverse conditions Ford recommends whisper mode.
But it's mostly about accelerator sensitivity and less aggressive regen. I've done 3 months of winter here in active.

GadgetTech

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach E Primium Shadow Black
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Can confirm we have had our first snow(s) in Iowa and whisper seams to be the best mode I have found for snow, that's with 1PD active too. Acts like engine braking my Subaru's and is very controlled even with AS tires.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I have used Whisper exclusively but found in recent ice and very slippery road conditions (glare unsalted Ice) that Unbridled works great for me. I found I was having to apply the brakes and risk sliding in whisper especially when approaching a car in front of me or going down any incline.

Unbridled has just enough resistance but not enough to slide on ice to make me a bit more confident.

I have been in Whisper for 8 months so it was a big change for me.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Don't think it matters. Its more about the driver than the mode.

Got my RWD back in Feb here in Michigan and really havent had much issues in snow, even in 1-P with only using the rears to stop.

Sure occasionally I stab the brakes when the rears start slipping but you need to be ready to do that anyway...

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Lexus IS300 autox/track car.
Country flag
I don’t like OEM Primacies even in wet weather here in the South and figured they would be awful in any snow. I guess you guys are finding them at least serviceable.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I put mine in unbridled the day I got my car last February and never looked back. It just seemed a natural way to drive this car.
I drove in the first real snow (actually 1/2” of ice covered in snow) this past weekend and it was fine. Whisper or engaged may or may not be better - I’ll never know! ?

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I’m still using unbridled/OPD in the snow and ice. I did a comparison on a stretch of road and unbridled with OPD stopped me sooner without activating ABS. Other modes with OPD still stopped me without ABS but of course took longer. Any mode without OPD and either I gave too much brake, activating ABS and resulting in a longer stop, or I didn’t give enough brake and, while ABS didn’t activate, it still took my longer to stop.
One does have to be used to the throttle response of unbridled when trying to accelerate so as to not just spin tires. And you wouldn’t want to come all the way off the accelerator into a corner, but that’s just like not jamming on the brake in a corner. Common sense if you’ve been driving in snow for a while. I think the best mode would be whisper for the acceleration and unbridled/OPD for the braking.
I have an AWD ER, so the heaviest with best traction.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I’m still using unbridled/OPD in the snow and ice. I did a comparison on a stretch of road and unbridled with OPD stopped me sooner without activating ABS. Other modes with OPD still stopped me without ABS but of course took longer. Any mode without OPD and either I gave too much brake, activating ABS and resulting in a longer stop, or I didn’t give enough brake and, while ABS didn’t activate, it still took my longer to stop.
One does have to be used to the throttle response of unbridled when trying to accelerate so as to not just spin tires. And you wouldn’t want to come all the way off the accelerator into a corner, but that’s just like not jamming on the brake in a corner. Common sense if you’ve been driving in snow for a while. I think the best mode would be whisper for the acceleration and unbridled/OPD for the braking.
I have an AWD ER, so the heaviest with best traction.
Agree 100%. One of the reasons I had no issues with unbridled in the snow is because that’s the only way I’ve driven the car for almost a year. If you’ve never driven in unbridled, don’t turn it on for the first time when there’s snow on the ground!

dano

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME
Occupation
Communications Engineer
Country flag
I've been hanging out in whisper/1PD. 1PD's engine-braking really works well, but takes some getting used to (especially if you're still using the OE tires as I was for the first week or so of snow/ice). You definitely need to learn to only let off a little if you're starting to slide or it's like you've shifted into 2nd at speed on a slippery curve. Alternatively, you should keep a shovel and a change of clothes in the car.

I do think the 1PD and long stretches of winter weather might be adding to an unusual amount of surface rust on the brake rotors since they don't end up getting a lot of use.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I think the mode depends on the driver's abilities. Most people should probably be in Whisper mode, with 1PD off.

ahg

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E 4x 2014 Accord V6
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Don't think it matters. Its more about the driver than the mode.

Got my RWD back in Feb here in Michigan and really havent had much issues in snow, even in 1-P with only using the rears to stop.

Sure occasionally I stab the brakes when the rears start slipping but you need to be ready to do that anyway...
I agree, 90% is the driver. RWD, FWD, AWD all work OK if you know what you are doing. Only real limiting factor is tires without enough tread.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
Whisper mode, 1PD and Traction Control on works well here in Littleton. I played around a bit early Sunday morning in a parking lot with Unbridled and no TC. It's fun, but not something for regular roads.

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
After trying different modes, I’ve settled on Whisper, no 1PD, as being the best. Whisper as it’s easier to be gentle with throttle inputs, and no 1PD to allow me to more easily coast through ice when the road is variably icy and clear. This was really useful on Monarch Pass for example.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
It’s all about slow throttle and easy braking. You should be able to achieve that in any mode. If you can’t use whisper mode and 2PD since the brake pedal is very sensitive in 1PD.
Sponsored