Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I'm REALLY not excited about this style.....
paint damage to car, back damage lifting and reaching, risk of pulling into garage by mistake, and bike and car damage if it ever fell off... in addition to threat of easy theft of an expensive bike if you parked anywhere unattended for very long.

personally, hitch rack is the only way I want to go.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
paint damage to car, back damage lifting and reaching, risk of pulling into garage by mistake, and bike and car damage if it ever fell off... in addition to threat of easy theft of an expensive bike if you parked anywhere unattended for very long.

Agreed!

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

Yeah and that wouldn't work at all for a 70lb e-bike.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Disclaimer: I have no idea why a tow hitch is not available on North American models.

But... let's extend the frunk divider situation.

So, with a trailer hitch and a rear end collision:
In Europe: Bad break mate, that hitch was driven into your battery pack and could have caused a fire.
In USA, land of 10 million lawyers: The sound of thousands of lawyers all texting at once, putting together a class action lawsuit.

EV Lab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME 4XE, Ford F-150, Honda Civic EV conversion
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Disclaimer: I have no idea why a tow hitch is not available on North American models.

But... let's extend the frunk divider situation.

So, with a trailer hitch and a rear end collision:
In Europe: Bad break mate, that hitch was driven into your battery pack and could have caused a fire.
In USA, land of 10 million lawyers: The sound of thousands of lawyers all texting at once, putting together a class action lawsuit.
The battery in the MME nowhere near the rear bumper though, being under the center of the car... There's a motor and all the rear suspension to go through first.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Neither Yakima nor Thule have roof rack solutions on their websites at this time.

I just received the following from Yakima, which may help those of you who already have Yakima systems.
Hello Mark, and thank you for contacting Yakima support.

We do have a fit, it is just with an older system:

TOWER: Q Towers (Set of Four)
FRONT CLIP: Q78 Clips
REAR CLIP: Q78 Clips
CROSSBAR: Medium (58") RoundBar Pair (2 CrossBars)
FAIRING: 52" WindShield

http://fitlookup.yakima.com?fitid=4267

We no longer make the Q78 clips, so you will need to find them at a secondary seller like rerack.com , rackattack.com , Ebay, or amazon.
I've reached back out to them to see if they have a fit for their current roof racks. I've also reached out to Thule and am awaiting a response.

OP
OP
pdxzzr

pdxzzr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Neither Yakima nor Thule have roof rack solutions on their websites at this time.

I just received the following from Yakima, which may help those of you who already have Yakima systems.

I've reached back out to them to see if they have a fit for their current roof racks. I've also reached out to Thule and am awaiting a response.
The link they gave you leads to a regular Mustang, not the Mach E

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The link they gave you leads to a regular Mustang, not the Mach E
I trusted the person. Bummer. Back to talking with Yakima!

OP
OP
pdxzzr

pdxzzr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
I trusted the person. Bummer. Back to talking with Yakima!
FWIW-Yakima HQ isn’t far from where I live and I actually “donated” my GLA45 a few years back for figment testing when that model was brand new. I asked them about the Mach-E specifically and pano glass roofs generally (because no one seems to make a solution, even for Teslas that have been around a while, the suction cup thing notwithstanding). Basically, I don’t think anyone is really looking to engineer a clamp on roof rack because of the liability with the glass.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
FWIW-Yakima HQ isn’t far from where I live and I actually “donated” my GLA45 a few years back for figment testing when that model was brand new. I asked them about the Mach-E specifically and pano glass roofs generally (because no one seems to make a solution, even for Teslas that have been around a while, the suction cup thing notwithstanding). Basically, I don’t think anyone is really looking to engineer a clamp on roof rack because of the liability with the glass.
Interesting. The clamp could be positioned so that it stands on the edge fitting, not contacting the glass at all.

With the stress-cracking issues, I'm not sure I'd want to suction cup a rack and a boat to my roof. Personally, I plan to get a Stealth Hitch and 1-1/4" receiver for carrying bikes. However, it's roof or nothing for some of my kayaks.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag

I would NOT advise a roof rack on the MME..... too high to lift a bike, especially a muddy heavy MTB. The TorkLift Eco solution looks pretty good, and perhaps like an easier install than I expected. There are tons of hitch receiver bike racks that are pretty awesome.....

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I would NOT advise a roof rack on the MME..... too high to lift a bike, especially a muddy heavy MTB. The TorkLift Eco solution looks pretty good, and perhaps like an easier install than I expected. There are tons of hitch receiver bike racks that are pretty awesome.....
Agreed. I need a roof rack for kayaks.

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Mach-E GT, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Check out Stealth hitch, an elegant solution. They have installed a prototype unit on a Mach E and are working on production units. They have a 1.25 Option that should work well for a 2 bike rack. Call them and put your name on the list.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The current information from Yakima.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Bike Rack Solution? Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 1.53.09 PM

@pdxzzr Would you be open to taking your Mach E to Yakima to look at to see if they will decide one way or another?

OP
OP
pdxzzr

pdxzzr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
The current information from Yakima.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Bike Rack Solution? Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 1.53.09 PM

@pdxzzr Would you be open to taking your Mach E to Yakima to look at to see if they will decide one way or another?
IF I actually take delivery I’d certainly take it over to Yakima (still a little up in the air, sales guys very slow to respond, says there is some kind of software issue to fixe before they can sell). But they (Yakima) have also told me they aren’t taking in vehicles for fitment right now.