First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camaro SS, 2021 GTPE
Country flag
Ford Reengineers Plug-In Mustang In Real Time to Boost Profit - Bloomberg

Ford Motor Co. is reengineering its electric Mustang Mach-E on the fly to make it more profitable, an approach that portends big changes in how the automaker designs and builds vehicles.

Chief Executive Officer Jim Farley told analysts Thursday Ford will no longer wait for the next model change to rework a vehicle. With software updates and hardware reengineering, the company is lowering the cost to build the Mach-E at its factory in Mexico in real time.

“We are not going to wait for next year,” Farley said on a conference call to discuss fourth-quarter earnings, which fell short of Wall Street estimates. “We’re are going to reengineer that vehicle now, and then use that expertise for the F-150 Lightning” plug-in pickup that’s going on sale this spring.

As an example, Farley said engineers are reworking the Mach-E’s cooling system to reduce the number of hoses by one-third and cut the number of motors in half. Fewer parts mean lower costs and higher profit, he said.

This on-the-fly engineering to boost the bottom line will become a new way of doing business at Ford, Farley said. Ford’s CEO has frequently praised Tesla Inc. and is said to be reorganizing using that company as a template.

“We have learned so much about the lack of integration in our engineering operations as we compared our engineering on Mach-E to others that are best-in-class, and we are finding lots of profit opportunities,” Farley said. “Being in the industry as long as I have, I haven’t felt this chance to take out so much cost after Job 1.”
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
“We have learned so much about the lack of integration in our engineering operations as we compared our engineering on Mach-E to others that are best-in-class ...."
I can only assume others == Tesla at this point.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I wonder if Sandy anticipated that the outcome of his commentary on Mach-E hoses would eventually make its way to a discussion on a Ford earnings call by the CEO.

I also wonder if they have retained him at this point.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I wonder if Sandy anticipated that the outcome of his commentary on Mach-E hoses would eventually make its way to a discussion on a Ford earnings call by the CEO.

I also wonder if they have retained him at this point.
I am certain Sandy will give himself full credit, deserved or not. ?

swnerd321

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, Space White 2022 MME GTPE
Country flag
Great they say they have higher profit, but what does that do for the cars performance, I know now the GT will get 1 second boost and a 95 mph trap speed ???

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
Great they say they have higher profit, but what does that do for the cars performance, I know now the GT will get 1 second boost and a 95 mph trap speed ???
This was my first thought. Instead of trying to find ways to make the car better, they're finding ways to cut corners to boost profit.

Xlch59

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 mach 2004 Cobra 2007 GT500
Country flag
This will make it difficult to figure out what you are buying or selling. You will need to know the date the car was made to find what feature the car has or doesn't.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
This will make it difficult to figure out what you are buying or selling. You will need to know the date the car was made to find what feature the car has or doesn't.
Most buyers don't care to know how many hoses are under the hood.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
This was my first thought. Instead of trying to find ways to make the car better, they're finding ways to cut corners to boost profit.
Well, this change does reduce weight and losses in the coolant system, making the car a little bit faster and more efficient.

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
Well, this change does reduce weight and losses in the coolant system, making the car a little bit faster and more efficient.
Our 5 second power boost will now feel like 5.1 second power boost! ? I love it!

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
True, but this hose thing was the greatest nothing burger.

I think whether someone chooses to put on a front license plate has a greater impact on speed and efficiency than a couple feet of redundant hose being removed from under the hood.

ponydsp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME Premium 4ER, Taycan CT, 650s, F8 on order
Country flag
True, but this hose thing was the greatest nothing burger.

I think whether someone chooses to put on a front license plate has a greater impact on speed and efficiency than a couple feet of redundant hose being removed from under the hood.
but eliminating redundant hoses etc = bigger frunk = more Beers on ice = more fun at tailgate parties on Saturdays :p