First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Here is the press release, which provides translations in several other languages if you scroll down to the bottom of the page.

This is the rear axle housing containing the gearbox, motor, some cooling, and some electronics. BW also supplies the front axle version of this for AWD MMEs.

Ford Mustang Mach-E BorgWarner supplying integrated drive module for Mach-E bw-00668
Sponsored

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Is there an engineer around the forums that can translate this from Engineering English into common future MME driver English? ;)

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Is there an engineer around the forums that can translate this from Engineering English into common future MME driver English? ;)
If you prefer a visual explanation of this stuff, and you have time on your hands, I highly recommend Professor John Kelly's teardown videos:

https://www.youtube.com/c/WeberAuto

He doesn't cover Mustang Mach-E yet, of course, but if you watch enough of his videos you'll start seeing how similar the BEVs are (from high level view).

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, it's barely 6 am out here and I'm still sipping my 100% Kona coffee, so most anything beyond the Calico cat's insistence upon being fed is pretty much beyond me atm (her picture is to the left -- bossy thing).

Last edited:

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for both those links, they were quite informative and pretty much what I was looking for. I finished mug 2 and 3 while watching/reading. Hey, it's a big day out here for me, don't Judge.***

*** Big day = off to the "Transfer Station" (aka dump)/recycle center then to the grocery store. I'm retired and it's Covid year 1. That's a big day. :p

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
Sure, I’m an engineer! Translation:
It’s a beautiful design, nicely optimizing both size and efficiency. Not a hacked together kludge, this architecture was nicely thought out to be optimal for this platform.

I can’t wait to get my car!

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Ford engineers have stated that the motors (and I think the electronics??) are their own design, but manufactured by a supplier. So the piece we don't know right now is, who is the supplier that builds Ford's custom motor design.

Not criticizing Tesla's designs, either, but aren't their motors parallel to the axle instead of coaxial? And some are induction instead of PM? I'm sure they're a bunch of decisions that were made differently, and that's okay.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
The Focus Electric's motor was a coaxial motor stacked with all the electronics. When pulled out of the car it looked remarkably similar in size to the 4-cylinder engine on the ICE Focus (which is no surprise since it was a re-purposed ICE instead of ground up EV design).
Fmedia%2F2011%2F01%2Ffocus-motor-2011-01-11-800-01.jpg