mavbkme

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1 ER AWD
Country flag
For all of you still struggling with this — the service dept unplugged the car’s battery for 30 min because they think some of the modules did not complete their programming. Stuck. Seemed to do the trick. Hopefully it keeps working!
Sponsored

Richard L.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Ok good to know. Did they give you an ETA on the sync module order? I am picking it back up but they suspect I might still have problems which will require them to spend more time on the car with the hotline.

Sounds like the reset routine is better than sitting and waiting for a car to be built and shipped. But still nuts to have this happen on day 1
SYNC module finally arrived. Dealer installing tomorrow.

jaydee

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT
Country flag
Coincidental that this thread pops up today... I'm taking my car in tomorrow (GT purchased in Oct 21) to have this looked at (although this thread isn't making me optimistic). My specific symptoms:

- Randomly on startup the main screen will be blank. Radio works and I see Carplay connecting on my phone
- Reset brings it back

Some quantifying info and recent changes:

- This would initially happen ~10% of startups. With the quick reset, I lived with the minor inconvenience
- Its definitely happening more often now - 50%+
- It's taking 'multiple' resets to get it to come back now... by that, I mean that I can see the screen backlight turning off, then back on, but still no animation/startup of the screen. I keep holding the reset button down, sometimes through 3-5 of the backlight 'cycles' before getting the animation. If I let go of the buttons after the backlight cycle but no animation - the screen will not come back
- I removed PaaK and drove for a while with just the FOB - it still happens

So, thanks for the info in this thread, and if I learn anything I'll post here too

OP
OP

mavbkme

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The longer reset happened to me too. They replaced the module and it made it slightly worse. Then they unplugged the battery for 30 min, plugged it back in -- and worked through errors with the ford hotline. It started happening a lot less, but still at least 10% of the time. I just had my full screen and cable replaced. The issue has only happened once (I think) but it was different. The screen went black after I switched from Reverse to Drive. Hoping that was a fluke. This took a full month to fix, and I still am not sure it is 100%. That said, I'm starting to feel slightly more optimistic.

4HERMES

First Name
Anna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-GT
Coincidental that this thread pops up today... I'm taking my car in tomorrow (GT purchased in Oct 21) to have this looked at (although this thread isn't making me optimistic). My specific symptoms:

- Randomly on startup the main screen will be blank. Radio works and I see Carplay connecting on my phone
- Reset brings it back

- This would initially happen ~10% of startups. With the quick reset, I lived with the minor inconvenience
- It's taking 'multiple' resets to get it to come back now... by that, I mean that I can see the screen backlight turning off, then back on, but still no animation/startup of the screen. I keep holding the reset button down, sometimes through 3-5 of the backlight 'cycles' before getting the animation. If I let go of the buttons after the backlight cycle but no animation - the screen will not come back

So, thanks for the info in this thread, and if I learn anything I'll post here too
Sorry to hear this. it’s maddening. My course of events for my black touchscreen issues was about the same. Ford replaced the screen. Hasn’t happened in the last few days. But, I also agreed to allow for specific OTA data collection in case something arises. I also have a way to manually provide voice input.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag

- Reset brings it back

Hi there! Can you send us a DM with more information? I’ll see how I can assist on my end. Thanks!

jaydee

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT
Country flag
Hi there! Can you send us a DM with more information? I’ll see how I can assist on my end. Thanks!

Info sent...

I just got back from dropping it off... of course the screen was behaving perfectly fine this morning (I even tried turning it off and walking away for 5 minutes at home, but the screen popped on both times)

The service writer was very reluctant that they could do anything, "not unless the tech can reproduce". Then I mentioned the 21P22 updates and that immediately became the focus and the only thing that ended up on the order. "Maybe that will fix it"... sure, worth a try, but I'm not optimistic.

If it happens again, I'll be sure to take it back to have the concern/issue properly recorded, and hopefully diagnosed. I'll probably end up taking it to the other S Bay dealership which I think I've read good things about on here - this one is much closer, so that's why I started with them.

robs

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e California Route 1 AWD
Occupation
CTO, Software dev.
Country flag
Following this post. I have a similar thing happening to me. I'd say about every 3rd time I start my car (probably more), I need to reset Sync because it's a black screen. Sometimes it takes 2 resets.

moparguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Miata, Mach E Select, Fusion
Country flag
OP
OP

mavbkme

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Since my touchscreen and cable were replaced I’ve had no problems (no other strategy improved things). There was one time that the screen went black while in reverse. But it might’ve just stalled and I reset it before it recovered. It is fixable… just takes a lot of patience and time.