Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
-30F yesterday morning warmed up to -15F and -25F this morning. I am now just trying to not have to mess with the 12V any more by bugging it. So this was yesterday.
  1. Set a departure schedule for 10 am. Started for departure schedule about 1.5 hours early and ran thru.
  2. At noon I went to check 12V. Lazy so used a 12V outlet reader.
  3. Plug into console and nothing.
  4. Started and read 15 V (was charging when turn on good)
  5. Turned it off thinking I would see true voltage but car started to draw power from the 240V L2 charger after turn on and continued at 15V when off (door opened). Works for me not running at all so left it.
  6. It never stopped and drew power all day yesterday. The charger and car port were still flashing at 10 PM last night. Stopped monitoring at 10 PM so at least 10 hours it drew power.
  7. This morning it is not?
  8. Go out and check while off this morning the 12V SOC 90% at 11.7 V.
  9. Start it 15V and it starts drawing power again from charger, continues when off. We will see how long it draws today?
What it is doing for 10 hours not charging with the power I have no idea. I have a dumb charger so have no idea how much either. Was not concerned about the power it takes to maintain itself and was kind of just hoping it could babysit itself. No longer leaving it sit for a few days and am now bugging it every day hoping it helps.

Need it fixed because as it has shown me it can just drain the 12V which leaves you stranded at any time. 12 V dies 3 times in less than a year. It completely killed one 12 V then drained the new one. Not typical or right I think and needs to be fixed.

Jan. 8 12V drained after a new 12V installed.
Jan. 8 P0AA2
Jan. 13 P0AA2

Does not like to sit for any extended time, plugged in and cold on this one. I will bug it for now and see if it helps. Keep bugging service.

Doing the same thing as last February noted in TSB 21-2091 as software fixed. Maybe just warmed up last year here by the time I got it back and therefore I did not see it again until this winter when it got cold again? Only when plugged in and cold so far (both 120 and 240) never a problem when unplugged or the summer. Can't test any more this winter as I have a failed. Just guessing I won't hear it is fixed until it is warmer again. Now testing if I can bug it and the 12V does not die thinking maybe the car can do it for itself some day? Waking it up from its deep sleep or whatever it does initiates power being taken from the charger? 10 hours of it yesterday will see today started at 9 am and still drawing when typing?
Sponsored

Up and Over

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT, Iconic Silver
Country flag
I’m not an engineer but it seems like the multiple cold weather 12v battery issues that have been reported on this forum would suggest a design flaw. I would have expected that this would have been picked up in cold weather testing. Please excuse my ignorance but do other BEVs have this issue as well?
-30F yesterday morning warmed up to -15F and -25F this morning. I am now just trying to not have to mess with the 12V any more by bugging it. So this was yesterday.
  1. Set a departure schedule for 10 am. Started for departure schedule about 1.5 hours early and ran thru.
  5. Turned it off thinking I would see true voltage but car started to draw power from the 240V L2 charger after turn on and continued at 15V when off (door opened). Works for me not running at all so left it.
  6. It never stopped and drew power all day yesterday. The charger and car port were still flashing at 10 PM last night. Stopped monitoring at 10 PM so at least 10 hours it drew power.
  9. Start it 15V and it starts drawing power again from charger, continues when off. We will see how long it draws today?
What it is doing for 10 hours not charging with the power I have no idea. I have a dumb charger so have no idea how much either. Was not concerned about the power it takes to maintain itself and was kind of just hoping it could babysit itself. No longer leaving it sit for a few days and am now bugging it every day hoping it helps.

Need it fixed because as it has shown me it can just drain the 12V which leaves you stranded at any time. 12 V dies 3 times in less than a year. It completely killed one 12 V then drained the new one. Not typical or right I think and needs to be fixed.

Jan. 8 P0AA2
Jan. 13 P0AA2

Does not like to sit for any extended time, plugged in and cold on this one. I will bug it for now and see if it helps. Keep bugging service.

Doing the same thing as last February noted in TSB 21-2091 as software fixed. Maybe just warmed up last year here by the time I got it back and therefore I did not see it again until this winter when it got cold again? Only when plugged in and cold so far (both 120 and 240) never a problem when unplugged or the summer. Can't test any more this winter as I have a failed. Just guessing I won't hear it is fixed until it is warmer again. Now testing if I can bug it and the 12V does not die thinking maybe the car can do it for itself some day? Waking it up from its deep sleep or whatever it does initiates power being taken from the charger? 10 hours of it yesterday will see today started at 9 am and still drawing when typing?

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
Please excuse my ignorance but do other BEVs have this issue as well?
I am familiar with two other brands and their EVs had Mny issues with 12v battery drainage. I owned one of them and we had to bring the car to the dealer twice for software updates for this issue. Btw they also promised OTA updates too but we still had to drive to the dealer for the updates just like Ford.

OP
OP
Shayne

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am familiar with two other brands and their EVs had Mny issues with 12v battery drainage.
Doesn't really fix the problem. Where these other two brands ever fixed? What brands were they; we assume inferior to a Ford?

Like a charging schedule just needs to be aware and come on. As my wife says her Romba can do that. Do you think this cars hardware is smart enough for that to happen with logic? We will see what Ford says for sure. Reproducible here and will be trying again next winter. Unfortunately baby sitting here for right now :(. No sense it sitting elsewhere with no fix. Got that's not right and they are on it early last week. We will check again early this one. From what I have seen they depend on Ford at these early stages and that has not been fast. Once you get the right guy from Ford months later it goes pretty quick.

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
Doesn't really fix the problem. Where these other two brands ever fixed? What brands were they; we assume inferior to a Ford?
Porsche and Polestar. The brand name does not matter and previous experience with ICE cars don't matter. They are all relearning how to handle a small 12v aux battery in an EV.
These other brands fixed drainage due to bugs and improved 12v BMS with the software updates. I am not sure if that resolved all problems but it certainly improved them a lot.
Porsche also replaced 500+ problematic 12v batteries at the first batch of Taycans.

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
I’m not an engineer but it seems like the multiple cold weather 12v battery issues that have been reported on this forum would suggest a design flaw. I would have expected that this would have been picked up in cold weather testing. Please excuse my ignorance but do other BEVs have this issue as well?
The last week in Canada (Quebec) was terrible for 12 volt battery problems that made cars either not start or stop in the middle of the highway (one even cause a major crash). Ford need to adress the root cause of the problem, not fixing each car after they broke. I had a 12 volt battery warning in the middle of the night Sunday while it was plugged in the garage since 2 days (aroud 70 or 70% charge). I called my dealer, he saw many error codes that I didn't see in the Mach-E, I went the next morning but all the codes were cleared from Frod Pass (at the dealer). So I went back to work and I constantly monitor my 12 volts battery since with Car Scanner or with the Ford Pass widget. Many owners with cars with less than 10,000 miles wants to sell their cars. One has it since a month only.

That is a major problem that should be addressed quickly by Ford. Stop working on the next Tic Tac Toe update and take a look at why the 12 volts battery is not charged by the HVB.

2021mustangdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Select RWD, grabber blue
Country flag
The last week in Canada (Quebec) was terrible for 12 volt battery problems that made cars either not start or stop in the middle of the highway (one even cause a major crash). Ford need to adress the root cause of the problem, not fixing each car after they broke. I had a 12 volt battery warning in the middle of the night Sunday while it was plugged in the garage since 2 days (aroud 70 or 70% charge). I called my dealer, he saw many error codes that I didn't see in the Mach-E, I went the next morning but all the codes were cleared from Frod Pass (at the dealer). So I went back to work and I constantly monitor my 12 volts battery since with Car Scanner or with the Ford Pass widget. Many owners with cars with less than 10,000 miles wants to sell their cars. One has it since a month only.

That is a major problem that should be addressed quickly by Ford. Stop working on the next Tic Tac Toe update and take a look at why the 12 volts battery is not charged by the HVB.
This issues have me worried whether it was right choice to order 2022 Mach-E.
I live in northern ontario and weather last few days -35C to -40C windchill.

Dan

Twilloo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e Select AWD comfort/tech pkg
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag

Jan. 8 P0AA2
Jan. 13 P0AA2

What is ok. After my mach e sits in the garage plugged in all night but is not charging since it has reached the range I called for, I see thru the window my little voltmeter in the lighter plug that is says 12.3. Is that too low for a standing voltage with nothing on? thanks

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Just checked mine, showing 12.5 volts after sitting overnight. At this point I am more worried about my Truck. It drops below 12 volts after sitting for only a couple days.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
What is ok. After my mach e sits in the garage plugged in all night but is not charging since it has reached the range I called for, I see thru the window my little voltmeter in the lighter plug that is says 12.3. Is that too low for a standing voltage with nothing on? thanks
Probably not. There is a thread about the 12V battery that shows a log of the voltage with the car off. IIRC, it will fluctuate. Once it hits a low level, it will get charged from the HVB, so the voltage you see will depend on where it is in the cycle.

OP
OP
Shayne

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

• Last year brand new early February -28C plugged to L2 12V completely drained. Software fixed.
    TSB 21-2091 - 12-Volt Battery Becomes Discharged While The Vehicle Is Plugged In.
  • Battery 10 months managed by the car and early December only -10C (-15?) plugged to an L1 completely drains. Battery fails and replaced new 12V.
  • New 12V battery early January 8 -28C L2 (same temp as last February on a new 12V) and new 12V completely drained. Charge brings it back like last February and no flatbed this time.
Testing complete, not the 12V and need a fix.

January 11 -28C does it again I think but I caught it that time and it was not completely dead.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-e dead again Charge-Faults

4 times now and each time I get a "charging fault" message in Fordpass in the middle of the night. It tells you to unplug and re-plug. Do Not Do That (red port rings). Unplug, shut the port door and start it.

Started every day and checking now. Dealer knows I can't live with this but for me it is better here being used than sitting over there doing nothing but waiting for a fix.

Don't think I am at the point of tossing it yet and currently waiting for an acknowledgement of the problem from Ford and the understanding they are working on a fix. After the first week with my dealer I was told he had nothing yet. It is still home here and working (still cold ?‍♂). Have to babysit :(. Wake it up from that deep sleep once and awhile.

The dcfc curve is getting there and with this problem fixed you have to admit it could be a pretty great ride. This is a defect for me and I am not sure what others are seeing or if mine is an outlier. Can't live with a 12V that randomly drains itself in less than a couple of days.

Just checked mine, showing 12.5 volts after sitting overnight. At this point I am more worried about my Truck. It drops below 12 volts after sitting for only a couple days.
12.5V is not great for an agm. Maybe forget overnight and let it sit for a couple of days in -30C and then let us know what you get. I am starting to believe you are on the wrong forum as it sounds like you have a defective truck. All mine (30+ years) sat for weeks and no problems. Ice 12V floods after 5-8 years get old and the cold lets you know it is time. This thread is for a problem with a server 12V drain on a MME. Problem with mine is it can drain the 12V after a day and a half when it gets cold. This can happen when you are hundreds of miles away in another city. Not too worried what your truck does and does not do. Some like to eat worms.

Astraea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMe Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Not sure if this helps you at all, but Ford advised for my car to replace the HV junction box and that should solve the problem of the car not properly charging the LVB from the HVB which has stranded me 3 times. I'm not even going to drive it if I have to turn it off for more than hour to do something so it doesn't die again. Need to wait 2 weeks until can get it back to the dealership. And this is the second MME that I know of that ford has advised this solution.

SigSauer

First Name
Mark David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Preiumn in DMG, AWD, ER and 1928 Model A Ford
Occupation
Retired Sales Representative
Country flag
I would hope the 22's yet to be delivered will have the necessary updates and fixes for this problem.

cmtaylor963

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 1st Ed
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Not sure if this helps you at all, but Ford advised for my car to replace the HV junction box and that should solve the problem of the car not properly charging the LVB from the HVB which has stranded me 3 times. I'm not even going to drive it if I have to turn it off for more than hour to do something so it doesn't die again. Need to wait 2 weeks until can get it back to the dealership. And this is the second MME that I know of that ford has advised this solution.
I'm going through the same replacement on mine right now after Stop Safely Now and low 12v battery last week. The BECM was throwing code P0563.

Xlch59

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 mach 2004 Cobra 2007 GT500
Country flag
The Ford Focus BEV also had LV battery problem. It didn't like my wife's short commute of just 4 miles a day. It was a common topic on the Focus forum. You would think Ford would have figured it out. At least on the Focus the 12 volt battery was easy to get to. Not adding easy charge access to the battery was a mistake on the Mach E design
Sponsored