mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I would have an issue if my neighbor was using the charger during school hours, when the students and teachers would need them to power their vehicles for their commute.
Agreed - that would definitely be pretty clear cut. But do you know there are no students there after hours, and no faculty planning to work late? Not sure how that can be known, when the library is likely open very late, and faculty work hours are unpredictable.

I would guess if it's showing up in the app and you can activate the charger, they are open to
public use.
That is a logical assumption, but I think it comes down to the "free" part.

If his neighbor really needs a charge, he can to to a DCFC station and pay for it. But instead, he goes out of his way to get a free charge. And of course, once the paid time starts, he moves his car. So he is really just there for the freebie.

And that is the root of the problem, IMO. It is not free. Someone is paying for that electricity. It isn't Charge Point that is paying for it, right? No, it is the University. Are they paying that electricity so anyone who lives nearby can use it? I seriously doubt it.

Rick has a somewhat valid point about paying for it via his taxes. But if that is the case, I will just pop into a professor's office and take his stapler. I need a stapler, and he has one, and I pay taxes, so I can take his stapler.

Will, I guess we are going to agree to disagree. Your neighbor could pay for his charging, but instead is forcing someone else to pay for it. I think it is clearly theft, and clearly wrong. He should pay for his charging because that is the honest thing to do.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MachEMaster

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
Agreed - that would definitely be pretty clear cut. But do you know there are no students there after hours, and no faculty planning to work late? Not sure how that can be known, when the library is likely open very late, and faculty work hours are unpredictable.

That is a logical assumption, but I think it comes down to the "free" part.

If his neighbor really needs a charge, he can to to a DCFC station and pay for it. But instead, he goes out of his way to get a free charge. And of course, once the paid time starts, he moves his car. So he is really just there for the freebie.

And that is the root of the problem, IMO. It is not free. Someone is paying for that electricity. It isn't Charge Point that is paying for it, right? No, it is the University. Are they paying that electricity so anyone who lives nearby can use it? I seriously doubt it.

Rick has a somewhat valid point about paying for it via his taxes. But if that is the case, I will just pop into a professor's office and take his stapler. I need a stapler, and he has one, and I pay taxes, so I can take his stapler.

Will, I guess we are going to agree to disagree. Your neighbor could pay for his charging, but instead is forcing someone else to pay for it. I think it is clearly theft, and clearly wrong. He should pay for his charging because that is the honest thing to do.
This is purely a temporary measure, until his home charger is installed.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I am running my charger at 40 amps off the load shed circuit. We did an electrical load analysis of

Good question. The load shed would activate if the load on my panel exceeded 80%. I have my MME scheduled to charge at 40 amps, between 12-6am, when the house is calm. (A/C,Hot Water Tank,Oven,Clothes Dryer not operating) The load shed device has not activated to my knowledge. I would probably see something in FordPass if it did. The DCC device was required to pass electrical inspection, after a load analysis was carried out.
You should try charging while some of those other things are running and see if you can ever get it to activate. I know the inspector required it but that would be an interesting datapoint.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
EVSE- Supply Equipment
the EVSEs and charging stations are simply providing electrons, not charging anything. Faster rate, less time at 240 or super charger, vs. 110
the charger is in the vehicle. It will not take larger amounts of electrons (kW) than it is capable of handling
The MME stops at ~150. Plugging in to a faster charger (eg. 350) yields no gain. So don't do it. Leave the 350 for vehicles that can use it. (the Lightning is limited to 150 as well)

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
I am hoping the future MME will have a larger battery capacity, with Vehicle to Home backup. I would definitely trade up.
the MME battery is 99kWh. That would work if it were bidirectional and Ford would allow access.
I agree, >120 would be better

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
This is purely a temporary measure, until his home charger is installed.
IF that were the issue, he could pay to DCFC and not have to leave his brand new truck unattended for four hours.
Sponsored