Buzzing/vibrating sounds in overhead lights/sunglasses holder area. How to remove?

OP
OP
bellyer

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Today the buzzing sound from the overhead/sunglasses area was so annoying I was trying to fiddle with it while driving. I can't stand the buzzing sound - I need to know how to remove the sunglasses holder so I can find the source. I highly doubt my dealer would do anything about this.
I would highly recommend picking up the neoprene sponge cord and a set of tools like what I show in the attached pictures. I have been able to largely stop the buzzing sounds coming from the overhead lights and sunglasses holder area by cutting off strips of the neoprene cord and carefully prying open the edges all around the plastic overhead sunglasses holder and lights and stuffing the neoprene cord inside it. It seems to apply pressure on whatever inside has been making the buzzing noise and, when the buzz does happen, it is significantly muffled and shorter in duration to the point that it does not really bother me. I had added some a month back or so and it helped, but I had noticed the buzzing return recently on some really bad roads in Chicago that had been grated down to be prepared for resurfacing, so I added more of the neoprene cord and it now seems to be as silent as I would hope it to be on even the worst road quality. I would really recommend giving this a shot to those as annoyed by this buzzing as I am. The neoprene cord was ordered from Grainger (though I would assume you Can probably order it from the site noted on the label, too) and the tools came from Amazon. The tools were originally bought to help with removing the frunk divider, but they have come in super handy with other things in the car, too. If you do go this route, just be very careful when prying open the plastic and using the tools to stuff the cord inside, as it seems like it could be fairly easy to end up breaking some of the plastic parts if you aren't careful.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Buzzing/vibrating sounds in overhead lights/sunglasses holder area. How to remove? 20220901_183355
Ford Mustang Mach-E Buzzing/vibrating sounds in overhead lights/sunglasses holder area. How to remove? 20220901_183419

Last edited:

pr0t0c0l_dr01d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Select eAWD
Country flag
I would highly recommend picking up the neoprene sponge cord and a set of tools like what I show in the attached pictures. I have been able to largely stop the buzzing sounds coming from the overhead lights and sunglasses holder area by cutting off strips of the neoprene cord and carefully prying open the edges all around the plastic overhead sunglasses holder and lights and stuffing the neoprene cord inside it. It seems to apply pressure on whatever inside has been making the buzzing noise and, when the buz does happen, it is significantly muffled and shorter in duration to the point that it does not really bother me. I had added some a month back or so and it helped, but I had noticed the buzzing return recently on some really bad roads in Chicago that had been grated down to be prepared for resurfacing, so I added more of the neoprene cord and it now seems to be as silent as I would hope it to be on even the worst road quality. I woukd really recommend giving this a shot to those as annoyed by this buzzing as I am. The neoprene cord was ordered from Grainger (though I would assume you Can probably order it from the site noted on the label, too) and the tools came from Amazon. The tools were originally bought to help with removing the frunk divider, but they have come in super handy with other things in the car, too. If you do go this route, just be very careful when prying open the plastic and using the tools to stuff the cord inside, as it seems like it could be fairly easy to end up breaking some of the plastic parts if you aren't careful.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Buzzing/vibrating sounds in overhead lights/sunglasses holder area. How to remove? 20220901_183419
I wonder if removal of interior panels and parts is discussed in the factory service manual. I'd love to mod this car but I'm afraid I'll break stuff while exploring how it's put together.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I wonder if removal of interior panels and parts is discussed in the factory service manual. I'd love to mod this car but I'm afraid I'll break stuff while exploring how it's put together.
This is from the Mach-E repair manual. Make sure you start from the REAR as the front only has slide in tabs and you will break those if you try to pull down the front first.

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 7.34.10 AM.jpg

Last edited:

pr0t0c0l_dr01d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Anybody have a video of a successful removal of this thing? Those clips seem rather difficult to release.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
They are. All metal clips are insanely tight on this car. But those $7 a piece plastic clips under the hood just fall out at the thought of them.

(Sorry no help with the video)

I've got this annoyance as well. Havn't tried to tackle it yet but if you get a cheap set of panel pullers from Harbor Freight there's a wide one that's like 2 inches wide. It'd get the leverage on the piece without pushing into the headliner as much. If/when i go to yank mine I fully expect 3 of the 4 clips to stay in the body and rip out of the plastic. Just my experience so far.

Last edited:

pr0t0c0l_dr01d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I made a video - I got the thing out and did a bunch of stuff to try and remove the vibration. I’m cautiously optimistic so far, despite my cynical comments at the end :)
I’ve been over a lot of rough roads since the fix and so far, so good.

COACH CHRIS

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E AWD Select
Country flag
I made a video - I got the thing out and did a bunch of stuff to try and remove the vibration. I’m cautiously optimistic so far, despite my cynical comments at the end :)
I’ve been over a lot of rough roads since the fix and so far, so good.

Lol @ the last 10 seconds. 🤪 Assuming that bit of give did not give you trouble then? May have to do this myself because of all things it's the control module sound that seemed closest to the rattle I hear.

Also: Fascinating to see how poor the quality is of those plastic parts. Yikes.

ericNdfw

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ericsmalling.com
Vehicles
`21 MME Prem 4X w/GTPE wheels,`22 Hyundai Palisade
Occupation
Solutions Architect (software)
Country flag
I took mine in to have them look into rattles I hear in the two front door panels near the armrests. Of course, they said they couldn't hear anything after two separate tech's test drove it.

The sound stops if I push in just above the armrest. Has anyone here had the same and, more importantly, fixed it?

pr0t0c0l_dr01d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I took mine in to have them look into rattles I hear in the two front door panels near the armrests. Of course, they said they couldn't hear anything after two separate tech's test drove it.

The sound stops if I push in just above the armrest. Has anyone here had the same and, more importantly, fixed it?
I’ve not experienced this one. Fixing the overhead buzzing has pretty much eliminated noises I can’t live with. There’s an occasional buzz from the screen behind the wheel (I think) but nothing constant like the overhead one.

pr0t0c0l_dr01d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Lol @ the last 10 seconds. 🤪 Assuming that bit of give did not give you trouble then? May have to do this myself because of all things it's the control module sound that seemed closest to the rattle I hear.

Also: Fascinating to see how poor the quality is of those plastic parts. Yikes.
Haha I just expect things to not work out in my favor. I’ve been driving for a few days now over crazy bumpy roads and I’ve had zero recurrence of the noise. I think the loose control module was the culprit. Putting a couple of strips of thick tape on the back seems to have taken care of it.
Sponsored