TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've never RVed before. Is this "allowed"? To sleep in a non RV there? I know I've heard people getting a window knock from cops while sleeping at regular "rest" stops off the highway. But If I can sleep at an RV park in my car? That's pretty cool and good to know.
I would think it would be fine at campgrounds, since that's the whole point of a campground - camping, typically overnight. Unlike a rest area which is intended for short-term resting and more turnover/throughput.

You usually have to rent the spot though, which can often cost more than a normal DCFC charge. Although it varies a lot. I've seen some Plugshare comments say $10, others $50, and anywhere in between.

My days of even thinking about sleeping overnight in the car ended about age 20 though, so it's not really a viable option for my tastes. I look for hotels with L2 close by. Plugshare is an invaluable resource.
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Can you think of a charging arrangement that would work for a TT-30 outlet? Just got back from a stay in Ludington state park with some friends -- the park campgrounds only had a handful of 50A sites which were all booked, but everyone had a 30A (120V) connection. Even 24A (for 80% draw) at 120V is almost 2.9kW -- not super fast, but decently better than a conventional 120V outlet.

I sure wish Ford would consider releasing more plug adapters for the mobile charger like the Tesla UMC. I do have a teslatap, and though about getting one (UMC) for the road, but I am also realistically not going to use the less common connectors THAT often...
This: https://www.evseadapters.com/products/tt-30p-to-nema-14-50r-ev-adapter/

plus this: https://www.amazon.com/Maxx-32-Portable-110V-250V-Electric-Vehicles/dp/B07H9H7W2N/

EDIT: Above EVSE is limited to 12A on 120V, so won't charge any faster.

Last edited:

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
On a 2,000 mile road trip I took in my Mach-E I did a number of overnights at RV parks to charge the car and sleep in the back. Super cost effective way to travel in this car, since I can get a near full charge overnight and a safe place to park and sleep.
I'm sure this is a dumb question, but you can obviously have the car fully on and leave it on all night while charging so you can use the AC and heat?

OP
OP
JamieGeek

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Can you think of a charging arrangement that would work for a TT-30 outlet? Just got back from a stay in Ludington state park with some friends -- the park campgrounds only had a handful of 50A sites which were all booked, but everyone had a 30A (120V) connection. Even 24A (for 80% draw) at 120V is almost 2.9kW -- not super fast, but decently better than a conventional 120V outlet.

I sure wish Ford would consider releasing more plug adapters for the mobile charger like the Tesla UMC. I do have a teslatap, and though about getting one (UMC) for the road, but I am also realistically not going to use the less common connectors THAT often...
Not off the top of my head. You could always use the included mobile charger plugged into the regular 15amp or 20 amp socket that is usually at the campground (granted you're talking 1/2 the current available on the 30 amp).

It is likely that the car can't accept anything more than 16 amps at 120V.
I've never RVed before. Is this "allowed"? To sleep in a non RV there? I know I've heard people getting a window knock from cops while sleeping at regular "rest" stops off the highway. But If I can sleep at an RV park in my car? That's pretty cool and good to know.
Yup you can sleep in your car at RV parks. Many also have cabins that you could rent or even park model trailers you could stay in (sometimes less expensive than a comparable hotel).

I don't think those two will work: Depends on that Maxx EVSE. Does it automatically configure itself depending on the plug? If so it may error when the 14-50 plug is on and its only getting 120V.

Even that description says 12amps 120V. 24amps 240V--thus it will probably look for 240V when set to 24amps and barf.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I'm sure this is a dumb question, but you can obviously have the car fully on and leave it on all night while charging so you can use the AC and heat?
Yes. I believe so (but never tried it myself). Find the setting in SYNC for the shutdown timer and disable it. That should get you climate control all night.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I don't think those two will work: Depends on that Maxx EVSE. Does it automatically configure itself depending on the plug? If so it may error when the 14-50 plug is on and its only getting 120V.

Even that description says 12amps 120V. 24amps 240V--thus it will probably look for 240V when set to 24amps and barf.
Yeah, I guess it will only do 12A on 120V even though it shows the options on the screen for other amperages when connected to 120V (confusing). Hard to find details like that anywhere with these products. I wish you could easily find a "universal" EVSE that you can set to whatever amperage you like in 1A increments that doesn't care what the voltage is either.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I… umm… kinda… slept in my car in the (secured) parking lot at work one night when I had a really short turn around between shifts. You can turn the car fully on while you’re charging and use climate control. After the first 30 minutes (I think) it will alert you that it will shut down if you don’t press the [OK] button, but once you do that once, it won’t ask you again for that session.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JamieGeek

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, I guess it will only do 12A on 120V even though it shows the options on the screen for other amperages when connected to 120V (confusing). Hard to find details like that anywhere with these products. I wish you could easily find a "universal" EVSE that you can set to whatever amperage you like in 1A increments that doesn't care what the voltage is either.
Its really the car. The EVSE doesn't do much other that report to the car what it is capable of.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Its really the car. The EVSE doesn't do much other that report to the car what it is capable of.
But, the ESVE doesn’t “know” what it is being fed with. So, unless you have a way to tell it there is 30 amps available on that 120v circuit, it’s going to default to 12 amps when it senses a 120v source.

OP
OP
JamieGeek

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
But, the ESVE doesn’t “know” what it is being fed with. So, unless you have a way to tell it there is 30 amps available on that 120v circuit, it’s going to default to 12 amps when it senses a 120v source.
Very true.

FLmac

First Name
McKenna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 premium AWD SR space white
Occupation
RV Sales
Country flag
I just ordered my Mach E but plan on charging this way regularly since I work at an RV dealership. I should be able to charge at work 90% of the time!

PrimeFuture

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium RWD ER, 2013 Ford Focus
Country flag
I hadn't checked the Forum in a bit, so apologies for my delay. Yes you can. I did that basically every night. You need to disable the auto-shutoff timer so the car doesn't turn off after 30 minutes, but otherwise don't need to do anything special. Also, you can do this not at a charging station, but be aware it will consume anywhere from 8-14% of the battery depending on your AC/heat settings.

Mr67gta

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1933 Ford, 1967 Mustang GTA, DMG 2022 Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
For those of you in Michigan: This is at the Frankenmuth Jellystone Park.

I know Jellystone, I have friends that stay there during Frankenmuth Autofest.

Jaciro

First Name
Jaciro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
bmw
Occupation
sport
Whenever we travel and try to find places to camp, we always consult https://midwestcamping.org/index.php/camping-in-illinois/. We found them some years ago, four or five if Ițm not wrong, and after two trips planning with their help, we convinced ourselves they are one of the best platforms, and there is no point in changing them. For example, we never had problems with light, dirty bathrooms, or the loud environment since these are the main problems. So, if you need any advice, I can truly suggest these guys.
Sponsored

Last edited: