Can Standard Range battery be replaced with Extended Range battery?

OP
OP
SpeedRacer72

SpeedRacer72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E RWD select, 2018 Mustang
Country flag
For those of you that don’t click into the link I posted…..

a lithium battery is rated for 1500 charge cycles. Ifyou multiply that by the low end of mileage range at 200, you should get at least 300,000 miles before the battery is depleted. You really think you would have the car that long?
Yes, I will hit 300,000 miles.
Here is the odometer on my 2015 Tahoe when I traded it in for the MME in Sept 2021. 6 years of driving.

2015 Tahoe odometer.jpg
Sponsored

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
BTW WRT charge cycles, I have ~ 8,000 charge cycles on my 2010 Chevy Volt. Most 0%to 100%. The battery tech is very similar on the Mach-E. Re-conditioned volt batteries are available with a core swap. Kinda expensive at ~$2,000 or so but the volt is such a well built car it could easily go to 500,000 miles.

As long as there is no premature failure the battery will be going long after the rest of the car collapses around it.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Here is the odometer on my 2015 Tahoe when I traded it in for the MME in Sept 2021. 6 years of driving.
I put 320,000 miles on my E320, but it took well over 10 years to do that. It was a diesel, and while I paid a lot in maintenance and repairs over the years, it still ran great when I sold it. I am definitely not driving that many miles now, so I doubt I will ever get a car to 300k again.

I agree with Lee - I would love to see what your current battery State of Health (SOH) is. Do you have an OBD2 scanner so you can check that and share?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
This is a cool picture I never saw this before. It looks to me like the extra kilowatt hours are in a couple extra packs at the rear of the tray that stick up under the cargo area. The Sr doesn't have the extra packs but the base is basically the same from this picture
You've really never seen those pics before? These are the pictures that have been on the Mach-E ordering site on ford.com since day 1. The extra cells in the ER battery stick up under the rear seat.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Can Standard Range battery be replaced with Extended Range battery? 1666364205156

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
For those of you that don’t click into the link I posted…..

a lithium battery is rated for 1500 charge cycles. Ifyou multiply that by the low end of mileage range at 200, you should get at least 300,000 miles before the battery is depleted. You really think you would have the car that long?
the number of effective charge cycles you get with lithium batteries has many factors.... things you can do to extend life/capacity:
- keep SOC% between 20%-80% as much as possible
- do not charge when core batt temp is <40F
- limit time at WOT to reduce plating and internal dendrite formation

If treated reasonably well the batteries in our MME *should* go 3000-8000 (80% capacity use per cycle) cycles with less than 20% loss in capacity. Thats WAY more than 100k miles.

Our 8 yr/100k mile warranty is basically the WORST case Ford is comfortable with... probably taking into account 5%-100% charging, and lots of WOT, and counting on people selling cars before 8 years.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
You've really never seen those pics before? These are the pictures that have been on the Mach-E ordering site on ford.com since day 1. The extra cells in the ER battery stick up under the rear seat.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Can Standard Range battery be replaced with Extended Range battery? 1666364205156
I sort of remember looking at this when I was deciding what to order.....
Mostly looked at the price difference, and the minimal difference in accelleration because of the extra weight of the ER, and concluded that the added cost was not worth it in my case since the number of times per year I drive more than 150 miles in a day is minimal.

anyway, it just confirms that the pan dimensions are the same, and a person *probably could* swap up or down when and if they needed to replace. As long as the nominal voltage is within range, the controller software can deal with output and charge parameters.

OP
OP
SpeedRacer72

SpeedRacer72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E RWD select, 2018 Mustang
Country flag
I put 320,000 miles on my E320, but it took well over 10 years to do that. It was a diesel, and while I paid a lot in maintenance and repairs over the years, it still ran great when I sold it. I am definitely not driving that many miles now, so I doubt I will ever get a car to 300k again.

I agree with Lee - I would love to see what your current battery State of Health (SOH) is. Do you have an OBD2 scanner so you can check that and share?
I do not have an ODB scanner, but I think I may get one. I had seen some other people post that you can get info on the battery with the scanner.
I have 46,000 miles on the car currrently.

What makes me want a scanner is that I have had some frustrations with charging that I think are related to battery temp.
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...d-for-standard-range-battery.7541/post-532283

I have not really seen any degradation of the battery yet, I got my MME in Sept. '21, and I kept track of the battery percentage for my drive home. In Sept. '22, the battery percentage on my drive home is about the same.
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/battery-life-preservation-health.17383/post-415325

Ford Mustang Mach-E Can Standard Range battery be replaced with Extended Range battery? IMG_3567

Last edited:

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I do not have an ODB scanner, but I think I may get one. I had seen some other people post that you can get info on the battery with the scanner.

What makes me want a scanner is that I have had some frustrations with charging that I think are related to battery temp.
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...d-for-standard-range-battery.7541/post-532283

I have not really seen any degradation of the battery yet, I got my MME in Sept. '21, and I kept track of the battery percentage for my drive home. In Sept. '22, the battery percentage on my drive home is about the same.
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/battery-life-preservation-health.17383/post-415325

Ford Mustang Mach-E Can Standard Range battery be replaced with Extended Range battery? IMG_3567
It's a very minor investment and you can capture a lot more data about your car. I have a Veepak Bluetooth one that was less than $50. It works great. Let me know if you want the link.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

Some of the less expensive OBDII scanners provide a figure for battery health. Not sure how they come up with that number since that isn't a PID found in the FDRS or any of the other full featured scanners (Mac, Solex, AutoEnginuity etc). Usually a HVB state of health scan is a very involved process, or at least it used to be that way. I doubt the MME has some magical feature that is able to calculate that value on its own and report it on demand via the diagnostic port.

A value that is easily obtained with almost all scan tools is kWh to empty. So, it would be a very simple thing to charge the vehicle to 100% displayed and see what that value says. I don't have the actual text published from Ford regarding promised capacity but it says something like 70% of original usable capacity at a certain temp range. So, assuming your pack is in that temp range and you have it charged to 100% displayed then the kWh to empty would be the figure you need to know. If that figure is less than 70% of the original usable figure and it has been less than 8 years or 100k miles then Ford should replace the battery under warranty.

In case anyone is curious. I have 54k miles and my car says 87.874 kWh to empty with pack at 29C and charged to 100% displayed. Original usable range was 88 kWh if I remember correctly....

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
And on the original question.....the Extended pack will fit physically. In addition to software....there are other physical parts that are different. From memory.....the HVBJB, the HV cables from the DC charge port, the OBCC module, the HV cables to the motor(s) and probably a few other items.

In 5 or 6 years time the OP can sell the car for scrap value and still be financially whole just by the fuel savings alone. My first year of ownership saved me $7k conservatively. This second year will be more like $9,000 or maybe even $10,000 perhaps. I can almost throw the car away when I am done and still be ahead. Obviously these cars will still have quite a bit of value even with tons of miles. Either on the used market or via salvage (since the parts are so valuable and can be recycled).

Just my $0.02...

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
Can the Standard Range battery in the Mach-E be replaced with an Extended Range battery?
That's the wrong question, the answer is unquestionably yes.

The right question is however, "is it financially viable". No, no it's not. It's much easier and cheaper to swap it for what you want.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
OP, a lot of us would be curious about your remaining battery capacity as you approach 100,000 miles. You're one of the highest mileage Mach-E's out there.
Just as a reference point, my Bolt had 103k miles before my battery replacement, and it had lost 10% capacity. My replacement had 10% more capacity than the original one, so I am up 20%.

Jay_in_Austin

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That's the wrong question, the answer is unquestionably yes.

The right question is however, "is it financially viable". No, no it's not. It's much easier and cheaper to swap it for what you want.
Totally agree here. When you get into the higher mileage, start looking for a used MME with low mileage and the larger battery. You will probably be able to sell your car and buy a year newer model for less than the cost of a battery pack update. Watch the Weber video about the battery pack removal to get a idea how much the labor would be:

It isn't going to be something just any shop can do.

Moomin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 civic hybrid - upgrading to MME 4 Premium
Country flag

What’s your average range on the Mach? Are you the high end of the range?