Charge Port Door Backwards

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
All things equal, I'd rather back in. Depending on where it's at, it's easier to leave the road backwards than it is to back into (visibility dependent). If you're going to be loading it makes sense to orient the back door where it's easiest. Unless you're drunk pulling in, you're going to likely be more attentive on arrival than departure. Cameras make it real easy too -- use them.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not in my case last night. I was at the EvGO station last night and parked nose into the charger and when I pull the hose and plug in the nozzle it needs to go around the charge port door (hence rubbing on it). This charger cord had a suspension devise to help lift up the cord (similar to some gas pumps) that felt like it had a tension pull back to the charger which caused the nozzle to bend back to the charger also and not have a solid connection. May have been the design of this charger...first time at EvGo for me....only been to EA charger once or twice without this issue.
Maybe I'm just too used to using Electrify America. There's no way that cord is hitting the charging door when plugged in. The end of the handle sticks out as far as the door, and that thick cable won't come close to bending that tightly.

I could maybe see some thinner L2 cables grazing it though. I've had to stretch one across the hood a few times when someone was blocking the spot. Can't remember if the door got in the way. I don't think so but maybe.

Here's an EA handle plugged in...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Charge Port Door Backwards 973797

EasyPass

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium 4X, 2017 Fusion Energi PHEV
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I also drive a 2017 Ford Fusion Energi PHEV. The charge door is in the same location as the MME, but the door swings up parallel to the fender instead of out. This makes the most sense to me for a variety of reasons.

I nearly ripped the MME Charge Door off on my garage center support post once when I thought it latched, got in the car in a hurry, failed to see the warning on the small screen, and backed out just enough to pop the outer door shell off the arm before I stopped in time. I ended up with a very small dent in the fender where the charge door pressed in, but the outer plastic door cover popped right back on. It could have easily been a lot worse in a matter of miliseconds. So I don't get this design decision in any rational way.
:mad:

OP
OP
ReelSweet

ReelSweet

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Maybe I'm just too used to using Electrify America. There's no way that cord is hitting the charging door when plugged in. The end of the handle sticks out as far as the door, and that thick cable won't come close to bending that tightly.

I could maybe see some thinner L2 cables grazing it though. I've had to stretch one across the hood a few times when someone was blocking the spot. Can't remember if the door got in the way. I don't think so but maybe.

Here's an EA handle plugged in...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Charge Port Door Backwards 973797
that's definitely not like the EVGo charger I was at last night. The nose of the vehicle was right in front of the charger and the hose from the size would need to come under the charger port door.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
All things equal, I'd rather back in. Depending on where it's at, it's easier to leave the road backwards than it is to back into (visibility dependent). If you're going to be loading it makes sense to orient the back door where it's easiest. Unless you're drunk pulling in, you're going to likely be more attentive on arrival than departure. Cameras make it real easy too -- use them.
I like backing in too because it often looks better to park that way, but itā€™s really not easier. At best, if you live on a pretty slow street, itā€™s not much harder, but if you are dealing with traffic and obstacles creating visibility issues, no way.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
that's definitely not like the EVGo charger I was at last night. The nose of the vehicle was right in front of the charger and the hose from the size would need to come under the charger port door.
Many EA chargers are located in the front of the parking spot too (some are front, some are side), but even the ones in front don't come close to having the cable hit the door as the cable won't bend nearly that tightly.

I'll have to check some EVgo pics online to see how different they are. Don't think I've ever seen one. They have almost no presence in the mountain western states I'm usually road tripping through.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
The difference is that in a non-EV you pull up along side the fuel pump.
The EA chargers in North Haven CT and Waterford CT have canopies where you pull along side like a gas pump. The pull-in style isnā€™t universal.

revised: no canopies but the charger is on the side in the mid car length. Itā€™s still pull-in or back-in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReelSweet

ReelSweet

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
The EA chargers in North Haven CT and Waterford CT have canopies where you pull along side like a gas pump. The pull-in style isnā€™t universal.

revised: no canopies but the charger is on the side in the mid car length. Itā€™s still pull-in or back-in.
Awesome....I used the EA chargers in Manchester CT and Trumbull CT and they were pull in nose first. Will have to check out the Waterford one when I'm down there....sure should be simple with side pull in...thanks for the info.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
šŸ”‘ ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ šŸ‘€
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Having the door open upwards or downwards would be a better solution.
Except when it opens while driving, the fuel door will help create lift. Owners will start complaining about a bouncy ride. šŸ¤£

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Awesome....I used the EA chargers in Manchester CT and Trumbull CT and they were pull in nose first. Will have to check out the Waterford one when I'm down there....sure should be simple with side pull in...thanks for the info.
I actually prefer when EA places them along the front in a row instead of on the side of the parking space as they often do. When along the side, they usually don't widen the parking spots, so it can be really tough getting the car doors open without banging them on the bollards...

988656.jpg

The holy grail of charging station formats is the gas station model (pull-thru islands), but they're rare. The best one is still probably the one in Baker CA...

1057674.jpg

Scc18603

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered 22 Mach e rwd, red. 17 CTS, 22 Jeep GC
Occupation
Technology director
Country flag
It would be nice to have one on each side.

I had a charging location with two chargers. Backing in made it to far for the front driver side, and pulling in made it to far over the car.

Waited for the no ev spot to park and hookup, and that was a stretch.

Guess I should pickup a j1772 extension cable.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It would be nice to have one on each side.

I had a charging location with two chargers. Backing in made it to far for the front driver side, and pulling in made it to far over the car.

Waited for the no ev spot to park and hookup, and that was a stretch.

Guess I should pickup a j1772 extension cable.
Wait until Tesla finally opens up Supercharger access to CCS use, then you'll really wish there was a port on both sides. Their cords are really short, and they're on the wrong side (for us, the right side for their cars). Tesla drivers will get mad at many CCS drivers because many will have to use the adjoining parking spot to get the cable to reach, which will block them from using the adjoining charger.

It's gonna be a mess, unless Tesla decides to offer much longer cables. Which is sounding doubtful (at least initially).

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I have said this beforeā€¦ The door should open like my Fusion Energiā€™s charge port door: Pop out and swing up. Ford already had the mechanism designed and just needed to beef it up a tiny bit for the bigger door. šŸ¤”šŸ©
Sponsored