Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E premium Awd LR
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
With everyone talking about the huge drop in range, I thought I would post my experience today.

Day started at -3 and got home around +4c. Car was pre conditioned, and toasty warm when I left the garage.

Drove 158km to my office, then 48km to my customer, another 38 to my next customer and then another 144km home. For a total of 386km with 9% and 24km left on the gom.

I have the awd extended range and can live with this range, I expect it to get a bit worse when it gets colder, but only do this long trip once a week. Very happy for the $6.50 in electric cost!
Does anyone know how much more range I will lose when it’s like -20?
Sponsored

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
It's supposed to be -20F here this weekend. Maybe I'll give it a range test. I'll try it with the car left out overnight without any preheating.

OP
OP

Boxman74

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
It's supposed to be -20F here this weekend. Maybe I'll give it a range test. I'll try it with the car left out overnight without any preheating.
I think at that cold (-20f =-28c) I would stay inside myself. too damn cold for me!

OP
OP

Boxman74

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Great Info!!

for us lame mile users (or too lazy to calc) - 368 km is 228 miles
Yea I should also mention it was 75% highways speeds 120km/hr, and my summer range was about 450km

coolshades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF -> Mach E AWD ER, Rapid Red
Country flag
With everyone talking about the huge drop in range, I thought I would post my experience today.

Day started at -3 and got home around +4c. Car was pre conditioned, and toasty warm when I left the garage.

Drove 158km to my office, then 48km to my customer, another 38 to my next customer and then another 144km home. For a total of 386km with 9% and 24km left on the gom.

I have the awd extended range and can live with this range, I expect it to get a bit worse when it gets colder, but only do this long trip once a week. Very happy for the $6.50 in electric cost!
Does anyone know how much more range I will lose when it’s like -20?
How much charge did you start with?

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I will go with about 26.7 Kw/100 Km (2.34 mi/w) @ 50 mph @ -20 oF. 205 mi range? Run it with a tail and head wind to get your average. Interested to know the outcome. Got mine last February and -4F (-20 oC) was the worse here at that time. We get those -20F (-30 oC) but will try not to be tripping in those.

coolshades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF -> Mach E AWD ER, Rapid Red
Country flag
Started the day with 100%, I charge 100% when I do my long drive once a week.. rest of the time is 85%
i work that out to 2.7mls/kwh (386/(0.91*98)/1.3 ...which is great for those temps.

did you have eheat on? seat and steering warmers? 1PD?

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Started the day with 100%, I charge 100% when I do my long drive once a week.. rest of the time is 85%
+4 oC, average speed was around 100 km/hr 75%@ 120 and you got 410 km range which is an average consumption of 21.5 Kwh/100 km pretty good. ?

Yesterday here it was -3 to -4 oC driving 105 km/hr and averaged 26 Kwh/100 km for 90 Km so around 340 km. You will see a further reduction at -20. Last year 120 km/hr @ -15 oC I would see 31 Kwh/100 Km it drops off pretty good with temp. 4 Kw/100 km swing with the wind for me today (in and out). But yep the extended range battery has pretty good range if you charge it to 100%.

figmentsas

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang Eco Vert, 2021 MachE Premium ER-AWD
Country flag
Sorry, I wasn't impressed with my cold weather trip yesterday. Have a Premium AWD with ER. Charged it up 100% the night before for a 178 mile trip plus an additional 17 miles on the return leg to get to a EA fast charger (total 195 miles). My GOM showed 228 when I left. Car was outside, and I used the heated steering wheel and both front seat warmers for the first 5 minutes. Inside temp was 68 and fan level 2 and E-Heat=ON, driving Unbridled mode w/o 1PD. There were 3 adults. I'm in NY, so drive was Taconic Parkway and NYS Thruway. As I got to mile 161 (17 miles to destination and then 17 miles back to EA charger), my GOM was at 40 miles. My miles/kwh was not very good, range from 2.0 to 2.3 as I was cruising around 76mph. I got scared, as my initial GOM was 228 for a 195 mile trip, and then went down to 40 for 34 miles (leaving a 6 mile difference), so I decided to stop and charge for 15 minutes. Went to my destination and then returned back to same EA charger to get a 80% charge. My GOM was 195 miles for a 160 mile return to home (35 miles difference). As I drove, I saw the difference drop, my GOM was 110 for a 100 mile return, and I know closer to my house, there aren't too many fast chargers. So I stopped again for another 15 minute charge. My miles/kwh ranged from 1.9 to 2.4.

So, initially, I was planning to do just 1 stop for an 80% charge, but I ended up with 2 additional 15 minute stops to recharge. Luckily, the 2 stops were 1-2 minutes off the highway, and when I plugged in, I had no issues with the chargers. In the summer, my GOM would go up to 260 miles and I probably would have been able to do the single 80% charge stop.

Comments on how I could have been more efficient. Anyone had their GOM drop to 0 and how far one can drive at that point (ICE when gastank shows empty, there is usually at least a gallon left).

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sorry, I wasn't impressed with my cold weather trip yesterday. Have a Premium AWD with ER. Charged it up 100% the night before for a 178 mile trip plus an additional 17 miles on the return leg to get to a EA fast charger (total 195 miles). My GOM showed 228 when I left. Car was outside, and I used the heated steering wheel and both front seat warmers for the first 5 minutes. Inside temp was 68 and fan level 2 and E-Heat=ON, driving Unbridled mode w/o 1PD. There were 3 adults. I'm in NY, so drive was Taconic Parkway and NYS Thruway. As I got to mile 161 (17 miles to destination and then 17 miles back to EA charger), my GOM was at 40 miles. My miles/kwh was not very good, range from 2.0 to 2.3 as I was cruising around 76mph. I got scared, as my initial GOM was 228 for a 195 mile trip, and then went down to 40 for 34 miles (leaving a 6 mile difference), so I decided to stop and charge for 15 minutes. Went to my destination and then returned back to same EA charger to get a 80% charge. My GOM was 195 miles for a 160 mile return to home (35 miles difference). As I drove, I saw the difference drop, my GOM was 110 for a 100 mile return, and I know closer to my house, there aren't too many fast chargers. So I stopped again for another 15 minute charge. My miles/kwh ranged from 1.9 to 2.4.

So, initially, I was planning to do just 1 stop for an 80% charge, but I ended up with 2 additional 15 minute stops to recharge. Luckily, the 2 stops were 1-2 minutes off the highway, and when I plugged in, I had no issues with the chargers. In the summer, my GOM would go up to 260 miles and I probably would have been able to do the single 80% charge stop.

Comments on how I could have been more efficient. Anyone had their GOM drop to 0 and how far one can drive at that point (ICE when gastank shows empty, there is usually at least a gallon left).
Slow down a bit and you run better. 160 miles with only 80% charge is 0.7 x 88 or 61.6 KWh so your consumption needs to be 160/61.6 or 2.6 mi/Kwh or better. That is the number on the main screen which at 75 mph you may have a hard time beating on a good day. 65 - 70 may be a little slower (10 - 20 minutes) but less stress?
Sponsored