MSP Mach E

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium, 2013 Brammo Empulse R
Country flag
We used to count the number of cylinders we had in your garage. It was a badge of honor or more likely a show of how dumb we were spending money on toys... At one point, I was up to 48 cylinders...

Today I have 121.8 kWh in the garage, not including my girlfriends 75 kWh from her 2021 Tesla Model Y. Adding the Model Y would take us up to 196.8 kWh (and yes I do drive the Model Y frequently)

2021 Mustang Mach E - 98.8 kWh
2015 Polaris Ranger EV LSV - 12.8 kWh
2013 Brammo Empulse R (custom race edition) - 10.2 kWh

20210801_102315.jpg
Sponsored

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
So basically a how likely my garage is to burn to the ground? EV energy is a needed evil, but make no mistake if any single cell giving you that incredible storage density has a issue that causes it to short its going to start a chain reaction taking them all with it. I know a dude who burned his house to the ground playing around with a SINGLE li-ion cell…

mwtechy

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Mustang v6, 2021 Mustang MachE Premium AWD Ex
Country flag
So basically a how likely my garage is to burn to the ground? EV energy is a needed evil, but make no mistake if any single cell giving you that incredible storage density has a issue that causes it to short its going to start a chain reaction taking them all with it. I know a dude who burned his house to the ground playing around with a SINGLE li-ion cell…
Maybe don't play with it then?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
All the 'garage burned down' stories I've ever read have turned out to be bad charger parameters, bad BMS failing to balance and shut at end of charge, or DIY battery packs that were badly balanced at end of charge and sent one or more cells into thermal runaway under full charge current.

This includes the recent Bolt stories....

I'm really NOT worried about the Mach-e because Ford has such conservative charge parameters in place. I'd really like to SEE the end-of-charge voltages of all the cells, but that's digging a little deeper than most people. ;)

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We used to count the number of cylinders we had in your garage. It was a badge of honor or more likely a show of how dumb we were spending money on toys... At one point, I was up to 48 cylinders...

Today I have 121.8 kWh in the garage, not including my girlfriends 75 kWh from her 2021 Tesla Model Y. Adding the Model Y would take us up to 196.8 kWh (and yes I do drive the Model Y frequently)

Good to see and ? . Bet the Polaris is nice and quiet in the bush.

They are starting to take over for some tasks.

Husqvarna 536LiLX Trimmer
Husqvarna 535i XP Chainsaw
Husqvarna 536LiB Blower
All with 2-0.3 and 2-0.15 KWh swapping batteries and 2 chargers.

Toy = MME kind of.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Count your kWh... 20210801_102315

NICE
My questions would be first how many kWhr you have in the garage, and then how many kW of solar do you have on the roof...... i.e. net zero for house + transportation ?

as we shift to EV for transportation, and electric for baseload, heating, and cooling our homes...... we all need to invest in generating as much clean energy as we can at our homes, work, schools, or wherever these toys are charged!

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
NICE
My questions would be first how many kWhr you have in the garage, and then how many kW of solar do you have on the roof...... i.e. net zero for house + transportation ?

as we shift to EV for transportation, and electric for baseload, heating, and cooling our homes...... we all need to invest in generating as much clean energy as we can at our homes, work, schools, or wherever these toys are charged!
We have found that solar is not the greatest when there is 2' of snow on them or overcast for months. There are ways to generate clean public energy also. Storage is required to use it wisely and lithium can help with that also. One step is the use of clean tools and toys as they become available.

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla S90D, 2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I have a 2016 Tesla model S90D and a 2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD ER in my garage and 10 kW of PV solar panels on the roof of the house. It works great when the sun is out and it's not snow season.
I have one appliance left that uses gasoline, the snow blower. Everything else is electric.
The panels have generated 90.4 MWh since installation in 2013.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I've got 24 cylinders not counting the 4 in the CX-5.

It's going to be interesting to see in 25 or 30 years how many Li ion batteries are left on the road.

The first Priuses are nearing 25 years old and are about to reach AACA status as an antique automobile.

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
Maybe don't play with it then?
The point is statistically the more cells you have (the point of this thread) the more likely a factory problem will exist in one. It only takes one.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
I'm really NOT worried about the Mach-e because Ford has such conservative charge parameters in place. I'd really like to SEE the end-of-charge voltages of all the cells, but that's digging a little deeper than most people. ;)
I would like to see the temp of several different areas of the battery during the charging process. Serious (dangerous) problems with the batteries are going to show there before voltage issues.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Just turned my panels on July 13th, and so far they're producing more than I expected. My roof faces east-shouth-east so to compensate for the angle I went with a little but bigger system to make sure I covered most of my car charging. Realistically if a large percentage of people go solar it will be necessary to have batteries to more evenly balance production and usage. IMHO it isn't necessary to waste lithium on static home batteries, but we'll see how things evolve.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Oh, and to answer the OP's question: I only have 1 Electric vehicle, but all my yard stuff is electric. The only gas engine I have left is my wife's Durango... trying to do so something about that one

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
IMHO it isn't necessary to waste lithium on static home batteries, but we'll see how things evolve.
That's a pretty general statement. One of the major factors that tipped us to solar and a battery is that in California, the power companies proactively shut off the power when/if there is fire danger - which is only going to get worse, unfortunately. We had three shutoffs last year, one for three days, and I'll tell you it is a real PITA between the inconvenience and two refrigerators full of food. We looked into generators, but solar/battery was a much better option when everything was considered.

Also, the battery allows us to manage drawing off the grid. We use it between 4-9 pm, saving us money due to our TOU plan and alleviating stress on the grid during the highest usage period.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
That's a pretty general statement. One of the major factors that tipped us to solar and a battery is that in California, the power companies proactively shut off the power when/if there is fire danger - which is only going to get worse, unfortunately. We had three shutoffs last year, one for three days, and I'll tell you it is a real PITA between the inconvenience and two refrigerators full of food. We looked into generators, but solar/battery was a much better option when everything was considered.

Also, the battery allows us to manage drawing off the grid. We use it between 4-9 pm, saving us money due to our TOU plan and alleviating stress on the grid during the highest usage period.
I am messing around with various ways to access the energy stored up in the Mustang as emergency battery backup, camping, recharging Electric Tools, Etc our onboard DC DC can keep up with about 2000w export, so there's no need to buy static stand-alone batteries sitting in the garage doing nothing most of the time
Sponsored