Dash Cam and OBD cable - is it an option? which one to pick?

Mari76

First Name
Mari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E FE, 2013 Ford Explorer Limited
Country flag
@Mari76 I am about to buy a dash cam and was wondering if you are still not experiencing any issues using the IROAD OBD cable?
No issues at all using the OBD cable. I’m using it with the Thinkware U1000, the rearview camera and also the U1000 radar, which detects motion.
Sponsored

athompson264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered-2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
No issues at all using the OBD cable. I’m using it with the Thinkware U1000, the rearview camera and also the U1000 radar, which detects motion.
Which OBD cable are you using? I am looking to get this exact setup when my vehicle arrives and am finding mixed reviews...

Did you do the installation yourself? Where did you mount the camera and radar?

Thanks!!

Mari76

First Name
Mari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E FE, 2013 Ford Explorer Limited
Country flag
Which OBD cable are you using? I am looking to get this exact setup when my vehicle arrives and am finding mixed reviews...

Did you do the installation yourself? Where did you mount the camera and radar?

Thanks!!
I’m using the IRoad Power OBD-II for electric cars with my dash cam. I mounted the dash cam right under the rear view mirror with the radar right next to it. I just tucked in the wires around the windshield to the OBD port. I’ve had no issues with my setup and I’ve had it for about a year now.

athompson264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m using the IRoad Power OBD-II for electric cars with my dash cam. I mounted the dash cam right under the rear view mirror with the radar right next to it. I just tucked in the wires around the windshield to the OBD port. I’ve had no issues with my setup and I’ve had it for about a year now.
Can you share pictures of where you mounted everything? I FINALLY have the car and plan to install the dashcam soon, so was wondering where to place it, especially the rear camera. Thanks in advance!

Mosworthy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR
Country flag
I used the Ford Points to get the Ford Dashcam for free.....
It comes with an OBD cord and an ignition switch. It has parking/sentry mode.
The only downfall is I need to get the card out of the camera to see any footage, no WIFI compatibility, but that was low on my list anyways.

Wire was easy to hide, it tucked behind the mirror very well, plugged right in and worked....

athompson264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I used the Ford Points to get the Ford Dashcam for free.....
It comes with an OBD cord and an ignition switch. It has parking/sentry mode.
The only downfall is I need to get the card out of the camera to see any footage, no WIFI compatibility, but that was low on my list anyways.

Wire was easy to hide, it tucked behind the mirror very well, plugged right in and worked....
When do the points appear because I have none... -_-

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
They should have appeared almost immediately after delivery. Your dealer is supposed to ask you for your FordPass information (the form I just filled out for a Lightning on Saturday asked for e-mail address and member number) so they can process it, walking you through sign-up if necessary.

did they do that? I suspect you're going to have to get @Ford Motor Company involved at some point in any event to get it sorted if you didn't see points very quickly.

Mosworthy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR
Country flag
It took 3 months here....
Something in the fine print of 90 days of continuous use after activating the modem, if I remember right.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
It took 3 months here....
Something in the fine print of 90 days of continuous use after activating the modem, if I remember right.
ah, you're right, I think the modem activation was part of it, I forgot that. It was a lot less than 90 days though, and I think for others that was true as well, but I'd have to go back through other threads on this. Since modem activation was part of the delivery, part of the FordPass registration of the vehicle, I think that part was just "magic".

CarDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER Premium 2022
Country flag
I also do not have the points yet and I have started down the dash-cam rabbit hole after a few close calls.

sgriffin130

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Red Mach E- C/T Pkg, '23 Escape PHEV/Prem Pkg
Occupation
Dentist(retired)
Country flag
I installed a Thinkware U1000 with radar and tried both Thinkware and Iroad Obd cables. Neither one would stayed power up for very long to keep radar working when MME shut down and Radar waking up. Ended up hardwired per previous posts and was quite simple.
Having U1000 installed today with battery pack and radar module (hardwired)Where did u place the cameras?

athompson264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So I tried the iRoad OBD cable and it did not work at all. So I contacted blackboxmycar and they let me send the cable back. I have now finished installing the cameras through hardwire. To say it was a pain in the butt is an understatement.

I'll update in a few weeks but I am not using an extra battery as the Thinkware has a safety feature to turn the camera off if it goes below the 12V.

The main paint point about this is the connection to the camera. I am likely planning to use an old phone I have to connect to the camera to look at videos and\or download as turning off Android auto just to get connected to the camera is annoyingly painful. It definitely didn't help I was doing this in front of my house where my wifi kept connecting too...😑

I stuck the front cam and radar module to the plastic housing for the mirror. Not sure how well that will work but time will tell...

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
I'm in the same quandary. Just don't understand why we can't hook up the cameras already in the car to a recording device.
Sponsored