Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Another topic who here has charged a ev at a DC fast charger? sitting there and hear and can sometimes feel the popping of the heat expanding in the battery pack and think WTF lol.

if you never been in a EV your get to experience a lot of little things that ICE doesn't do.
Trying to start a new thread. Yes, Tru, I have charged a few times at a DCFC (62.5 kW max rate on ChargePoint) on my Kona Electric. I have never heard any unusual noises. Usually the DCFC stop is after 2 to 3 hours of steady/hard driving at freeway speeds - my cruise is often at 75 mph. Although I have a ScanGage and watch motor temp, I can not display battery temp. I do watch pos/neg amperage under heavy accel such as hill climbing and downhill regen. Typical max current is under 250 A. Kona battery voltage range is often between 350 V and 400 V. But the high current spurts are typically short duration. My most recent trip from Ventura to La Jolla (north of San Diego) involved a 20 minute stop in San Clemente at the Outlet Malls chargers along the back fence. They are rarely used and therefore available and convenient. My last recharge added 173 miles in 52 minutes to get me back home, or 43 kWh. During that time, about 2/3 was at 60 kW, then decreased to 35 kW, then stair stepped down again to 25 kW for the last 10 minutes. Then off to the races again through Los Angeles traffic mostly on the carpool lane.

Do you have any other questions?
Sponsored

Last edited:

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Trying to start a new thread. Yes, Tru, I have charged a few times at a DCFC (62.5 kW max rate on ChargePoint) on my Kona Electric. I have never heard any unusual noises. Usually the DCFC stop is after 2 to 3 hours of steady/hard driving at freeway speeds - my cruise is often at 75 mph. Although I have a ScanGage and watch motor temp, I can not display battery temp. I do watch pos/neg amperage under heavy accel such as hill climbing and downhill regen. Typical max current is under 150 A. Kona battery voltage range is often between 350 V and 400 V. But the high current spurts are typically short duration. My most recent trip from Ventura to La Jolla (north of San Diego) involved a 20 minute stop in San Clemente at the Outlet Malls chargers along the back fence. They are rarely used and therefore available and convenient. My last recharge added 173 miles in 52 minutes to get me back home, or 43 kWh. During that time, about 2/3 was at 60 kW, then decreased to 35 kW, then stair stepped down again to 25 kW for the last 10 minutes. Then off to the races again through Los Angeles traffic mostly on the carpool lane.

Do you have any other questions?
do you like cake?

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Next time I DCFC, it will be in my new MME.

OP
OP
engnrng

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
do you like cake?
Key Lime Pie is my favorite. I have nearly 20,000 miles on my Kona, 18 months. I have driven over mountains, along Interstate 5, up to Tulare, CA, those Koreans are quite smart about a lot of things. Why did I order the Mach E? It is bigger, and much better looking. I have a 2002 Mustang GT (also red) convertible that I recently upgraded the exhaust and wheels/tires, and now my wife thinks it is too loud (resonates at 2000 RPM), so the Mach E will be MUCH QUIETER (shhhhhh). I have gone to 3 Tour events and love the look and feel of the Mach E. Will park my 2 red 'Stangs side by side for awhile. I am a semi-retired Engineer and have been a proponent of solar, EV, grid batteries for over 40 years. Have also owned a Ford Aerostar, F-150, CMax Energi, couple of E-150 Vans, wait, is this too much info? I already answered your question about cake...

Last edited:

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Key Lime Pie is my favorite. I have nearly 20,000 miles on my Kona, 18 months. I have driven over mountains, along Interstate 5, up to Tulare, CA, those Koreans are quite smart about a lot of things. Why did I order the Mach E? It is bigger, and much better looking. I have a 2002 Mustang GT (also red) convertible that I recently upgraded the exhaust and wheels/tires, and now my wife thinks it is too loud (resonates at 2000 RPM), so the Mach E will be MUCH QUIETER (shhhhhh). I have gone to 3 Tour events and love the look and feel of the Mach E. Will park my 2 red 'Stangs side by side for awhile. I am a semi-retired Engineer and have been a proponent of solar, EV, grid batteries for over 40 years. Have also owned a Ford Aerostar, CMax Energi, couple of E-150 Vans, wait, is this too much info? I already answered your question about cake...
20,000 miles a lot of info you have on your Kona then. how have your tires held up?

OP
OP
engnrng

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
20,000 miles a lot of info you have on your Kona then. how have your tires held up?
Tire are down to a little under half tread. They have always chirped a bit when I punch it, but nothing the traction control can't handle. I have heard many complaints on the Kona Forum about the tires, but I have not experienced anything unpleasant with them, however, I am mostly on dry roads since SoCal is mostly in a drought. Even though I take a transition road every day that is marked 50 mph, but I take it easily at 70/75 mph, there is no outside edge tread wear. Corners pretty flat. It is Front Wheel Drive. I rotate the tires every 5000 miles.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Tire are down to a little under half tread. They have always chirped a bit when I punch it, but nothing the traction control can't handle. I have heard many complaints on the Kona Forum about the tires, but I have not experienced anything unpleasant with them, however, I am mostly on dry roads since SoCal is mostly in a drought. Even though I take a transition road every day that is marked 50 mph, but I take it easily at 70/75 mph, there is no outside edge tread wear. Corners pretty flat. It is Front Wheel Drive. I rotate the tires every 5000 miles.
I accidentally chirped the tires while test driving an Ioniq Hybrid. I guess it's the combination of tire choice, higher than typical torque at launch, and Hyundai's choice of pedal mapping.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Typically tires on plugins last longer as the low-rolling-resistance tires are made of a harder compound than normal tires.

Both my Focus Electric and C-Max Energi had the original tires on them when I returned them and they had a lot of tread left.

OP
OP
engnrng

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I accidentally chirped the tires while test driving an Ioniq Hybrid. I guess it's the combination of tire choice, higher than typical torque at launch, and Hyundai's choice of pedal mapping.
Correct. Looking forward to my RWD Mach-E (CA Rt 1). Reported acceleration of the Kona Electric and the Mach-E are about the same, Kona Tires are 215/55R17. Mach E are 225/60R18.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Correct. Looking forward to my RWD Mach-E (CA Rt 1). Reported acceleration of the Kona Electric and the Mach-E are about the same, Kona Tires are 215/55R17. Mach E are 225/60R18.
what is the avg price for a replace a set of tires for the mache? has anyone found any good prices?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
The cake is a lie.

Can't wait to try a fast charge. It'll probably just be for the novelty of it though. No trips planned just yet.

Ford Mustang Mach-E DCFC Question 2252a28f-3470-443c-adb2-b08deea71be0
I did that within a couple of weeks of picking up the Bolt. Stopped by a local fast charger for a few minutes just to make sure everything worked in the car.

(Of course I also did it prior to picking up the Bolt with the one I rented while I was on vacation: Found a DCFC at a grocery store and charged it while shopping.)

OP
OP
engnrng

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
what is the avg price for a replace a set of tires for the mache? has anyone found any good prices?
Just checked Tire Rack for size, all-weather, ECO version (lower rolling resistance). The Continental TRUECONTACT TOUR shows about $150 ea. I have used the TrueContact model on a Lexus RX400H hybrid with good results. Road Hazard, mounting and balancing is extra cost. What brand is being put on the MachE as stock?
Sponsored