Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Only time will tell, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the GT released on time. If they don't have another major shutdown, the Cuautitlan plant may make up for the lost time by then.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I test drove a Tesla Model Y Performance this morning. It's definitely better than the Model 3 in pretty much every way and blows away basically any other compact crossover.
  • More practical and usable space/functionality with the hatchback.
  • Easier to get in & out of.
  • Lots of shoulder and headroom in the cabin.
  • Ride quality is more comfortable than a Model 3.
  • The roof is stunning.
  • Lots of backseat knee and foot room.
  • The 255 width tires very appropriate for grip and the vehicle weight.
  • The sound system is great.
  • It's easy to have fun driving it despite the form factor.
The acceleration of the Performance Y is unreal. It made my eyeballs hurt and after close to a dozen full power accelerations, I've induced a headache for myself that a couple of Tylenol are now battling. 3.5s 0-60 is actually painful for me and I think it's too much. Mid-4s would be my preference.

There are some things I don't like about the Tesla though.
  • Exterior appearance is just not that great.
  • Interior is nothing to write home about.
  • The sound of pebbles being kicked up and hitting the wheel wells was surprisingly loud.
  • The backseat row was surprisingly narrower than I thought it should be.
  • Rear visibility is like looking thru a porthole.
  • While fun, I just didn't connect with the Y's personality. It's a Tomahawk missile; a smart weapon that can slay anything but without much of a soul.
I'm certainly considering the Tesla but I really want to check out the Mustang Mach-E before pulling the trigger.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Decided to cancelled Mach E for a Model Y IMG_20200607_095651

Ford Mustang Mach-E Decided to cancelled Mach E for a Model Y Screenshot_20200607-125742

Ford Mustang Mach-E Decided to cancelled Mach E for a Model Y IMG_20200607_102331_01

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I test drove a Tesla Model Y Performance this morning. It's definitely better than the Model 3 in pretty much every way and blows away basically any other compact crossover.
  • More practical and usable space/functionality with the hatchback.
  • Easier to get in & out of.
  • Lots of shoulder and headroom in the cabin.
  • Ride quality is more comfortable than a Model 3.
  • The roof is stunning.
  • Lots of backseat knee and foot room.
  • The 255 width tires very appropriate for grip and the vehicle weight.
  • The sound system is great.
  • It's easy to have fun driving it despite the form factor.
The acceleration of the Performance Y is unreal. It made my eyeballs hurt and after close to a dozen full power accelerations, I've induced a headache for myself that a couple of Tylenol are now battling. 3.5s 0-60 is actually painful for me and I think it's too much. Mid-4s would be my preference.

There are some things I don't like about the Tesla though.
  • Exterior appearance is just not that great.
  • Interior is nothing to write home about.
  • The sound of pebbles being kicked up and hitting the wheel wells was surprisingly loud.
  • The backseat row was surprisingly narrower than I thought it should be.
  • Rear visibility is like looking thru a porthole.
  • While fun, I just didn't connect with the Y's personality. It's a Tomahawk missile; a smart weapon that can slay anything but without much of a soul.
Thanks for the report. Much of that (except for the styling) seems to mirror many of the pros/cons regard the Mach-e as well. Similar in a lot of ways.

It's all reinforcing that I'd prefer to wait until actual test drives and reviews to make a final decision on an order/purchase. Even though I'm 95% sure I'll love the MME, it just makes sense to wait so I can do more due diligence (since I don't actually need a new car right away).

Tpaguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach E First Edition
Country flag
I’ve been really torn between the Model Y and Mach E (have a preorder for both actually).

I personally like the look of the Mach E better and do feel like Ford will deliver a better finished product. The Model Y is okay but not great for finish quality.

I was invited this week to take a test drive of a Model Y. I showed up with my appointment and took a white Y out. Besides the vehicle being disgustingly filthy inside (I could write my name with my finger in the crud and dust on the dash), the tester vehicle had tech issues with the right side camera not working properly, so the car was throwing warning signs and autopilot was disabled. There were rattles coming from the backseat. The vehicle was super fast (performance model) but the ride was super harsh with the 21” wheels. I’ve read the smaller wheels have a much better ride.

The one thing that keeps me going back to the Tesla Y, candidly, is the supercharger network. I’ve been watching Electrify America’s stations on their app and throughout the entire state of Florida, the majority of the charging stations have at least 30%-50% of the chargers as broken, error or unavailable (for weeks at a time). Orlando right now has two stations completely shut down and Miami has three shut down. Tesla really has a built an excellent charging infrastructure and its their defining feature in my opinion. I pulled up Tesla’s stations and 90% had all stalls as operational (not throwing errors or reported broken). Electrify America’s Twitter page confirms people complaining about reliability and maintenance of their charging locations.

If Ford had access to a more reliable or well maintained charging network, it would be a no brainer for me. The Mach E, based on what I read, will be a better overall vehicle (and look better too).

I’m really torn and my heart wants to go with Mach E but my senses are nagging me to not discount the supercharger network being vital for long trips (I only have one vehicle). Particularly with hurricane seasons, if I ever had to evactuate again like I did for Hurricane Irma, I fear I would be SOL with electrify America’s network. Tesla had lines but they moved cars and got them charged.

Is anyone else facing the same dilemma and fears?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’ve been really torn between the Model Y and Mach E (have a preorder for both actually).

I personally like the look of the Mach E better and do feel like Ford will deliver a better finished product. The Model Y is okay but not great for finish quality.

I was invited this week to take a test drive of a Model Y. I showed up with my appointment and took a white Y out. Besides the vehicle being disgustingly filthy inside (I could write my name with my finger in the crud and dust on the dash), the tester vehicle had tech issues with the right side camera not working properly, so the car was throwing warning signs and autopilot was disabled. There were rattles coming from the backseat. The vehicle was super fast (performance model) but the ride was super harsh with the 21” wheels. I’ve read the smaller wheels have a much better ride.

The one thing that keeps me going back to the Tesla Y, candidly, is the supercharger network. I’ve been watching Electrify America’s stations on their app and throughout the entire state of Florida, the majority of the charging stations have at least 30%-50% of the chargers as broken, error or unavailable (for weeks at a time). Orlando right now has two stations completely shut down and Miami has three shut down. Tesla really has a built an excellent charging infrastructure and its their defining feature in my opinion. I pulled up Tesla’s stations and 90% had all stalls as operational (not throwing errors or reported broken). Electrify America’s Twitter page confirms people complaining about reliability and maintenance of their charging locations.

If Ford had access to a more reliable or well maintained charging network, it would be a no brainer for me. The Mach E, based on what I read, will be a better overall vehicle (and look better too).

I’m really torn and my heart wants to go with Mach E but my senses are nagging me to not discount the supercharger network being vital for long trips (I only have one vehicle). Particularly with hurricane seasons, if I ever had to evactuate again like I did for Hurricane Irma, I fear I would be SOL with electrify America’s network. Tesla had lines but they moved cars and got them charged.

It depends a lot on how many long trips you really think you'll take, and your overall situation. Some people even plan to rent a car for long trips, in order to be able to drive a Mach-e the other 95% of the time charging at home.

Also consider that EA is growing fast. 2 years ago it was almost non-existent. Now it's got decent coverage in most major corridors. 2 years from now it should be much better and more dependable than it is today. And may have additional competition. Your objection today may be nearly moot in 2 years. Plus you may not even get a Mach-e for another 6-9 months yet anyway. EA should already be better by then.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag

100% agree. The Supercharger Network is Tesla's trump card right now. While I appreciate and am impressed by everything that Tesla has accomplished, I just don't find the Model Y super appealing. Despite that, I can't help but to wonder if getting a Tesla is the smarter move because the Supercharger Network is both plentiful and reliable.

I surf Plugshare often checking out sites and while Electrify America has its share of problems, I think they're fully committed to a having a charging network with a high percentage of up-time and being responsive to any difficulties that users might face. In the user comments for EA, I typically find that while an initial session might fail, they'll end up successful after moving to another stall. Another thing worth remembering is that comments generally trend negative on review sites if there any comments at all. Can you imagine leaving a rating for every time you gassed up?

Lastly, I come back to the fact that there are practically no other EVs out there yet. A wave of EVs from a variety of mfgs are coming and this will raise the bar for expectations. If EA's current management team can't get the job done, someone else will.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
@Tpaguy as the mach-e won't turn up till the end of the year and if you are in no rush then I would at least wait for the dealer demos vehicles to turn up and have a go in the mach-e to see what you think as that way you won't end up with should have I got that instead syndrome when you see one on the road.

Looks are of course subjective, the model Y does nothing for me, but then there are design cues on the mach-e that I think could have been resolved a lot better, as to the interior not going to know until you can compare both, I was not impressed by the model 3 and don't expect I will change my mind when I sit in the Y, however some of worst cheap tacky plastic interiors I have had the misfortune to spend time in have been in fords so it all depends on which ford decides to turns up for the mach-e, premium ford or bean counter special ford..

If long journeys are a key requirement then it is going to be very hard to overlook the supercharger network, after all as the other networks grow you can use those in combination with the tesla superchargers, and while the other networks are growing it really depends on the actual number of charging stations that are added, no point just adding another dot on the map along a freeway if they have little vehicle capacity.

I have ruled out doing any my normal long journeys in the mach-e so will be keeping an ice for that as even if the number of charging stations doubles overnight it is still too much of an inconvenience hanging around waiting 40mins for a charge, I have work colleges with teslas that have given up using them for the longer journeys as while there are a lot of superchargers on route it is fine as you can do quick top ups, the problems are once you need to use the full range to get to the next supercharger that those long charge times really started to add to the travel time.

While I don't have to deal with hurricanes, I have to think of wildfires as I have been under mandatory evacuation orders, so even if I had the patience to hang around twiddling my thumbs watching youtube while waiting to charge on a long journey, I don't like the idea of only having the mach-e and being in a situation where I get home and plug in to charge knowing that I will be back to a nice usable range when I get up in the morning, only to get a phone alert to leave and have to wait before I have an acceptable amount of charge to do so.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
The supercharger network Is great but it’s becoming crowded.
I’m glad you picked an EV.
Good luck

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag

Two thoughts come to mind:

* First, if you go with a Model Y, don’t buy the car from the location that gave you the car for the test drive. The deplorable state of that car may well be indicative of the quality of work that service center performs. It’s also a bad omen that if they care so little about the state of the vehicle they’re trying to make a sale with, how will they treat you as a customer?

When I bought my Model S three years ago (since traded for an I-Pace) they brought the car to my house. It was clean and in excellent condition with the exception of a slight rattle. That rattle should have been my warning about the tendency for Teslas to rattle in general. ;)

* Second, if long trips are such a concern for you and it will be your only car, you may be better off with a hybrid. My wife’s 2019 Lexus ES300h has no problem getting 45 mpg. In fact in our area with gas at $1.99 and home electric rates at .20/kWh, it’s actually cheaper to operate the Lexus than a Tesla, my I-Pace or any other BEV on the road. Not as much fun, but cheaper and extremely reliable.

Just something to think about.
Sponsored