Decided to cancelled Mach E for a Model Y

polzovotel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Pilot
Country flag
Is it crazy to spend $60k on a vehicle and that it would be slow, not fun to drive or woefully behind on tech/interfaces?

It's a trade off. Yet again. Name an EV that's 60k that has near perfect build quality (no car manufacturer has perfect quality and it's very rare for a car to have "no imperfections"), is crazy fun to drive, and has some probably the best overall tech package.

To me, I'll gladly take some panel gaps, if it means i have the crazy fun to drive and the best tech. Once there is a car that fits all three ... i'll reconsider. Right now it doesn't exist. (TBD on Polestar 2 )
Do you say some pannel gaps? Look at mine:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Decided to cancelled Mach E for a Model Y 1596757428405

Ford Mustang Mach-E Decided to cancelled Mach E for a Model Y 1596757515117

I have much more pictures. Are you still ok to pay 55K for this?

As for tech - I do not see a huge difference in real-world scenarios. Same Autopilot ADAS level 2.5 as any other car (unless you by FSD for 8K and get some more perks). In Tesla, MCU is much more powerful, but this will be good for L4 and L5. However, I doubt we will see L4 in near future and we will not see L5 on current Tesla's (regardless of what Musk may say).

Android auto support? Blindspot? Tesla still does not have it. (blind spot detection with chiming is not working, and even if it will be fixed, you will need to look right when you turn left - is it so hard to put a led in the mirror!? ).

The major and most important benefit of owning Tesla is the supercharging network that allows you to travel. CCS charging network will become close to Tesla in maybe 2-3 years only. So you buy a non-Tesla car and you will be limited to where you can drive.

1596757425476.png

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Decided to cancelled Mach E for a Model Y 1596757425476

As for tech - I do not see a huge difference in real-world scenarios. Same Autopilot ADAS level 2.5 as any other car (unless you by FSD for 8K and get some more perks). In Tesla, MCU is much more powerful, but this will be good for L4 and L5. However, I doubt we will see L4 in near future and we will not see L5 on current Tesla's (regardless of what Musk may say).

Android auto support? Blindspot? Tesla still does not have it. (blind spot detection with chiming is not working, and even if it will be fixed, you will need to look right when you turn left - is it so hard to put a led in the mirror!? ).

The major and most important benefit of owning Tesla is the supercharging network that allows you to travel. CCS charging network will become close to Tesla in maybe 2-3 years only. So you buy a non-Tesla car and you will be limited to where you can drive.

1596757425476.png
While that's not ideal.. it doesn't affect the function of the car. My Ford SHO had to have the turbos replaced 3 times in 3 years. Should no one every buy a Ford because of that? Did you ask Tesla to fix that?

Autopilot is still a step ahead of the vast majority of other car systems.

I had Android auto.. saw no real benefit over what the stock Tesla system has really. Blind spot to me isn't a bit deal. Had it on my SHO. Maybe I'm just trained to always actually check the blind spot but in 3 years I never had a time where the yellow dot in the mirror did anything for me. They are getting ready to add the side repeater cameras on turn signal which will be the best option.

As far as the CCS network? That's TBD honestly. EA isn't off to a good start IMO with the maintenance part.

polzovotel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Pilot
Country flag
While that's not ideal.. it doesn't affect the function of the car. My Ford SHO had to have the turbos replaced 3 times in 3 years. Should no one every buy a Ford because of that? Did you ask Tesla to fix that?

Autopilot is still a step ahead of the vast majority of other car systems.

I had Android auto.. saw no real benefit over what the stock Tesla system has really. Blind spot to me isn't a bit deal. Had it on my SHO. Maybe I'm just trained to always actually check the blind spot but in 3 years I never had a time where the yellow dot in the mirror did anything for me. They are getting ready to add the side repeater cameras on turn signal which will be the best option.

As far as the CCS network? That's TBD honestly. EA isn't off to a good start IMO with the maintenance part.
Tesla said that is in spec, so no fix.

Everybody has different priorities, I do need blind spot. I do need android auto. And there is no difference between what Autopilot can do and what other cars L2.5 ADAS does.

Can you please mention what autopilot feature does not exist in ADAS 2.5 that I have in BMW for example? Phantom braking :)

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla said that is in spec, so no fix.

Everybody has different priorities, I do need blind spot. I do need android auto. And there is no difference between what Autopilot can do and what other cars L2.5 ADAS does.

Can you please mention what autopilot feature does not exist in ADAS 2.5 that I have in BMW for example? Phantom braking :)
Being able to enable it anywhere.. highways, cities, sharp bends, on ramps, off ramps... Everywhere.

And yes before you say it.. you can do that without the FSD package.

polzovotel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Pilot
Country flag
Being able to enable it anywhere.. highways, cities, sharp bends, on ramps, off ramps... Everywhere.

And yes before you say it.. you can do that without the FSD package.
Correct, you can do that with most of the L2.5 packages. BMW, Audi... Ford. They all give you an option to enable ACC with line centering inside the city as well. It is not unique to Tesla Autopilot.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Correct, you can do that with most of the L2.5 packages. BMW, Audi... Ford. They all give you an option to enable ACC with line centering inside the city as well. It is not unique to Tesla Autopilot.
You missed about half of what I listed but that's ok.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag

That looks crazy bad. I've heard of the issues but thanks for sharing the pics, makes it real clear to me.

polzovotel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Pilot
Country flag
You missed about half of what I listed but that's ok.
Ok, let be more clear - BMW L2.5 can do line centering and ACC where Tesla autopilot can work and vise versa. I was driving Tesla and I also know what the limits autopilot has especially phantom breaking. Comparing BMW (X7) and Tesla Autopilot - I do not see a real-world difference in performance. Both works good, but not foolproof. Once again, I think Tesla is best in EV for now. Despite the problems. But good competition is coming. Hopefully.

P.S. Do not see any value in AP when off-road. Never tested it, so no comments. I was using it in the city (rare) , highways (often). BMW works exactly the same for me.

polzovotel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Pilot
Country flag
That looks crazy bad. I've heard of the issues but thanks for sharing the pics, makes it real clear to me.
It is a bit better now, I recently visited the delivery center and many problems have been fixed. However, the main problem is inconsistency - you may get a good-aligned car or may get a really misaligned one. As for the trunk alignment - this is a design issue, the trunk is not wide enough, so they can either try to center it (so it will be a bit off on the left side and a bit off on the right side). But it will never be 100% aligned.

I had many more issues (like plastics not attached, bolts without nuts, etc.). However, the car itself is driving really well. And the Supercharging network is the best in class.

Honestly - it seems that EV time will come in 2-3 years, then we will have a reach choice of what to drive...

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is a bit better now, I recently visited the delivery center and many problems have been fixed. However, the main problem is inconsistency - you may get a good-aligned car or may get a really misaligned one. As for the trunk alignment - this is a design issue, the trunk is not wide enough, so they can either try to center it (so it will be a bit off on the left side and a bit off on the right side). But it will never be 100% aligned.

I had many more issues (like plastics not attached, bolts without nuts, etc.). However, the car itself is driving really well. And the Supercharging network is the best in class.

Honestly - it seems that EV time will come in 2-3 years, then we will have a reach choice of what to drive...
Obviously everyone has their own priorities and there are trade-offs, but this kind of stuff would keep me far away.

I hope they continue to improve, but I fear they may pull the business more in their direction. Save money on quality control and craftsmanship and then try to offer something flashy or gimmicky to get people to buy it. Then over time, people just accept the poor finishing (like the RV industry).

polzovotel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Pilot
Country flag
Obviously everyone has their own priorities and there are trade-offs, but this kind of stuff would keep me far away.

I hope they continue to improve, but I fear they may pull the business more in their direction. Save money on quality control and craftsmanship and then try to offer something flashy or gimmicky to get people to buy it. Then over time, people just accept the poor finishing (like the RV industry).
What they really need to improve is their service. It is just horrible here in Austin, TX. Either they pay the minimum wage or something else, but the level of service you can get is very poor here.
And while many may say - with MY you do not need a service, it is only partially true. And when you will need it - you will have a problem.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What they really need to improve is their service. It is just horrible here in Austin, TX. Either they pay the minimum wage or something else, but the level of service you can get is very poor here.
And while many may say - with MY you do not need a service, it is only partially true. And when you will need it - you will have a problem.
Closest service center to me appears 2.5 hours away... Guess that's why I've only seen one Tesla in my area over the years.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Closest service center to me appears 2.5 hours away... Guess that's why I've only seen one Tesla in my area over the years.
Might have something more to do with being in Michigan than anything else?

I spend a lot of time in Boise which is ~350mi from the nearest official service center in SLC but there are quite a few Teslas in town. Tesla has two mobile rangers based in town and they rent garage space for any work that's not suitable for a driveway.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag

I spend a lot of time in Boise which is ~350mi from the nearest official service center in SLC but there are quite a few Teslas in town. Tesla has two mobile rangers based in town and they rent garage space for any work that's not suitable for a driveway.
Wisconsin Tesla customers are used to going out of state for purchase and service.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

It could be (I assume your thinking this because of the "big three" in/around Detroit?). But north of Detroit is where the one service center is and I do see some around Detroit when I drive there for work. But where I'm at, I had one neighbor who had one (easy to spot because he loved to speed down the 15 mph road).
Sponsored