Disable back up reverse beeping?

CyanLite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD ER
Country flag
Pretty sure there are some federal laws against intentionally disabling safety features in a car. So even if you hit a person or not, if it's discovered then it could be used against you. Not to mention the incredible personal financial liability if you actually do hit someone.

Then again, I'm not a lawyer, just a random Internet troll.
Sponsored

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
To be fair, I suspect you have not been driving an EV for 50 years. They are nearly silent to pedestrians, except for tire on pavement and maybe cooling system fans... Thus the Federal regulations for noise output.
No, you are right have not driving an EV until now. I just sold my 2010 Prius last month with just under 200K miles. It was silent while stopped and at very slow speeds so similar to the Mach-E. My AC fans seem to make quite a bit of noise all the time on the Mach-E and I always have my AC on as I never roll down windows. So I guess my Mach-E is not all that silent but at least it does not make the back up beeping.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
Also, the NHTSA rule (signed in 2010) requiring EV manufacturers add pedestrian warning sounds below 30KPH does not include sanctions against owners who defeat these devices. While there are (according to the Internet) several liability issue lawsuits in play in several states concerning owners who disabled these noisemakers, I suspect it would have to be up to each state to implement an actual law prohibiting owners from tampering with them - similar to laws on the books in many states concerning smog reduction devices. I do know there is a bill in the AZ legislature right now making it illegal to use electronic or mechanical means to defeat "any" vehicle safety feature. I believe the proposed fine is $250.

While I do not advocate disabling the sound generators, I don't think it quite rises to the level of "breaking the law," at least not yet.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Metallic RWD, standard range
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Yeah...this is all moderately to highly illegal (pretty sure disconnecting/disabling/muffling the pedestrian alert system is a felony, but I'm not a lawyer). It only makes noise when you're backing up (for safety) and under a certain speed (IIRC it's around 30mph?...for pedestrians...so they know you exist). If you're THAT worried about your car making ANY noise at all...maybe get a really old single speed bicycle (so it won't make that infernal clicking when you're not pedaling)
The regulations are for artificial sound up to 18.6 mph, after that they state wheel sounds etc are loud enough. I'm with you can't imagine eliminating a federally mandated safety item like this.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
No, you are right have not driving an EV until now. I just sold my 2010 Prius last month with just under 200K miles. It was silent while stopped and at very slow speeds so similar to the Mach-E. My AC fans seem to make quite a bit of noise all the time on the Mach-E and I always have my AC on as I never roll down windows. So I guess my Mach-E is not all that silent but at least it does not make the back up beeping.
the nhtsa requirement for minimum noise up to 18.6 mph didn't come into effect until I think around 2019 (it was delayed from 2016)

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
the nhtsa requirement for minimum noise up to 18.6 mph didn't come into effect until I think around 2019 (it was delayed from 2016)
So maybe the cars with this mod just identify as 2018 models? lol.

CyanLite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD ER
Country flag
While I do not advocate disabling the sound generators, I don't think it quite rises to the level of "breaking the law," at least not yet.
You're probably right that it may not be necessarily "criminal". However, I've been a part of enough civil lawsuits to know about punitive damages, that is when someone takes egregious, intentional and neglectful actions that causes injury or harm to someone else. This is a personal injury lawyer's dream case if the driver actually hits a pedestrian.

IL_Vet

First Name
MarCal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Few
Country flag
It is very easy to get to the pedestrian/backup speaker. #13
You can block the speaker grill with something like cardboard. #72
You can also disconnect the speaker but you have to put a 4.7 ohm 3-5 watt resistor across the speaker wires otherwise you will get a warning in the driver display that the pedestrian warning system is malfunctioning. https://www.amazon.com/RESISTOR-CER...ywords=4.7+ohm+resistor&qid=1630592045&sr=8-9
Your suggestions are DANGEROUS!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

v8318cid

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MMe Prm. 4x , 19 Nissan Leaf, 22 GC 4xe
Occupation
Information Tech
Country flag
I know myself well enough that I will probably never disable the system. It doesn't stop me from disliking it. I found it much more logical with the pedestrian alert "horn" that GM used on the Volt prior to the '18 ('19?) mandate (Ya know, for those who seem to think it necessary to suggest that someone research their choices more in depth when purchasing a $60k EV. Not my first EV, nor my last.) That, at least, was something I could control, but was sufficient for protecting myself and others should the need arise. I'm not an armchair (or actual) lawyer, so I will not argue the legal site of this. Do it; don't do it. Your choice. But, as in my own case, be willing to accept the consequences of your actions either way.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
So maybe the cars with this mod just identify as 2018 models? lol.
I think you are right.
The 2017 and 2018 Focus Electric cars had the speaker but the sound was not activated for N.A. models. The report I saw listed zero pedestrian injuries related to that model so not having the sound didn't suddenly make the Focus Electric a bigger threat than a typical vehicle.

I don't think the beeping is a requirement. It just needs to make some sound so normal audible hum should meet that requirement perhaps? Technically speaking, the A/C compressor and fans satisfy the requirement but those don't run every time the car is started so the speakers are the fail-safe.

Owners are allowed to modify their vehicles so I presume an argument could be made that allows the speaker to be disabled as long as there is some other sound that meets the decibel level. Even playing the radio might satisfy the requirement?

I am more worried about owners who modify their vehicles with lift or lowering kits, aftermarket wheels, wheel spacers, blacked out headlights and tail lights etc. That stuff is MUCH more dangerous then disabling a back up beeper IMO.

I tried to back into an parking space today and a tree branch was dangling over the space. I was going to back up anyway and push the branch aside but the car wouldn't let me. It applied the brakes and I couldn't park there even if I wanted to (not without getting out and moving the branch).

Our Wrangler 4xe was easy. Just pull a fuse and it disables the speakers. No codes. No drama.

I was trying to park in this space. When I drove away the red car took it.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Disable back up reverse beeping? 20210902_133208

Last edited:

will

First Name
Not Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ridgeline RTL-T, 2022 MME Prem Ext Rwd
Country flag
Yeah...this is all moderately to highly illegal (pretty sure disconnecting/disabling/muffling the pedestrian alert system is a felony, but I'm not a lawyer). It only makes noise when you're backing up (for safety) and under a certain speed (IIRC it's around 30mph?...for pedestrians...so they know you exist). If you're THAT worried about your car making ANY noise at all...maybe get a really old single speed bicycle (so it won't make that infernal clicking when you're not pedaling)
Now i'm curious... can you back up faster than 30mph in the mach E and see if the beeping stops?

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I think you are right.
The 2017 and 2018 Focus Electric cars had the speaker but the sound was not activated for N.A. models. The report I saw listed zero pedestrian injuries related to that model so not having the sound didn't suddenly make the Focus Electric a bigger threat than a typical vehicle.

I don't think the beeping is a requirement. It just needs to make some sound so normal audible hum should meet that requirement perhaps? Technically speaking, the A/C compressor and fans satisfy the requirement but those don't run every time the car is started so the speakers are the fail-safe.

Owners are allowed to modify their vehicles so I presume an argument could be made that allows the speaker to be disabled as long as there is some other sound that meets the decibel level. Even playing the radio might satisfy the requirement?

I am more worried about owners who modify their vehicles with lift or lowering kits, aftermarket wheels, wheel spacers, blacked out headlights and tail lights etc. That stuff is MUCH more dangerous then disabling a back up beeper IMO.

I tried to back into anparking space today and a tree branch was dangling over the space. I was going to back up anyway and push the branch aside but the car wouldn't let me. It applied the brakes and I couldn't park there even if I wanted to (not without getting out and moving the branch).

Our Wrangler 4xe was easy. Just pull a fuse and it disables the speakers. No codes. No drams.

I was trying to park in this space. When I drove away the red car took it.
No the beep is not the issue, according to the nhtsa guidelines, an ev has to make 43 decibels (I think that's the number) up to a speed of 18.6 mph. So you could have any sound that meets that requirement, hell it could be continuous farts for that matter ;)
Sponsored